Author Topic: Cities and houses are safe havens  (Read 1560 times)

WizardsRule

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Cities and houses are safe havens
« on: April 07, 2005, 06:08:29 pm »
why not have it so that the only safe places were cities buildings and houses.  Reasons for protection in areas

1) In the game, youd instantly be caught by society if you were to try a crime in a city so program as no attack zone

2) Buidings the owner of the building might be home including locked doors and windows(considering you are a guest to building in game or you are a customer)

3) House- Would make benefits to living farther out.  If you were way out, a pker was after you,  and your house was nearby, you could just stay there for awhile

Danger areas are everywhere else

The evils of past repeat themselves in many shapes and forms

WizardsRule

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 07:30:11 am »
sry for the double post
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 07:30:34 am by WizardsRule »

Mudbu

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 09:02:30 am »
that would stink.  Make a area that was only dangerous. If everywhere was filled with danger but towns than my fellow noobs would all stay in a town.  Than the game would be boring.  How would we go to a diffrent town? maybe players are gaurding the exit and are ready to kill all noobs who leave.  We need just a area not everywhere. Who cares if its realistic! it wilL make noobs think the game is horrable they tell all there freinds untill... planeshifts population is 0. with 1 area ppl who want to hunt could go in there!

WizardsRule

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 09:13:07 am »
it would make it to where you relied on people and roleplaying is essential

Frank

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 11:27:37 pm »
but i think the game would be a whole lot funner if you had to worrie about player thief guilds outside of town and i dont think it will be a good thing if your house was a safe spot while you were loged in becuse you could put it in the most dangerous spot like beside an dragons cave or something and spwan kill the dragon over and over.

I also think that there should be a town radius were it cost  more money to place your house closer to the town protection and make its  harder for theifs to break in.

To stop massive player house thiefs first make it hard to break into a house but also to  make it harder and harder for a thief to break into house  for a certin amount of time after they have broken into the house.

but you shouldnt make inside of town impossble  to pick players pockets.   I have more ideas of how to change   the town radius and for an automatic shop keeper if you wanna hold a store outside in the wilderness im just too tired to write right now
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 11:28:05 pm by Frank »

Jimmeh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 10:28:45 pm »
i dont like this idea, all the pros would stand outside, and wai for noobs to go outside. This would make the game extremely boring and frustrating.

At the end of the Gulf war, Kuwaitis celebrated by firing guns in to the air.... 20 died from falling bullets

Frank

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 11:54:42 am »
not really i think it will help RP by letting some people be competely evil killing anyone they want to and the good char will have a quest to do.  
 to protect the noobs i suggest the use of secrutiy zones when a char with a high enough boundity alerts an alarm and to the secrutiy level certain amount of guards of certian str. come out.

If a person with a boundity or a murder gets killed in one of these zones thier player will be scared (not let in to )  to go into that zone.

of course this makes it really hard on the evil char but hopefully this will be around when player housing is around so an evil guild can start thier own town and make evil zones around it so good char wont be able to travel into thier zone if they die in it.

I\'m still thinking of how long they should be scared of a zone. I think we need to get an idea of the ratio of good to evil people and change the time accoding to how many are travling in and killing noobs

this idea really needs a lot more tweaking

Jimmeh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 10:48:19 pm »
so are you saying that new players can just sit around in \'safe havens\' such as cities, and not do anything, because they will get killed once they go outside?

this is stupid, only pros will want to play. Way to kill a good game.

EDIT: This is saying that the players are strong enough to ab able to kill the guards.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 10:49:40 pm by Jimmeh »

At the end of the Gulf war, Kuwaitis celebrated by firing guns in to the air.... 20 died from falling bullets

Frank

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 01:06:28 am »
not* sorry for the bad spelling i always failed my spelling test.  The whole ponit i wanna see and open pvp even in the city is to enhance RP by making people group togther after all you cant have RP if people dont play toghter. I think i also may have missed a couple of points beacuse jump around on topic to topic. my mind tends to jump around.

you do bring up a good point and sense there is not really a level counter as in set hp and str at so level. this makes it hard to protect noobies from high leveler.

I think i may have a rough solution though. You can add up adturbutes, fighting skill like swords skills and stuff like that , the only thing im  really stuck on is the magic skills

(If we should add up the healing umm blue way i think i havent had much time to deal with magic in the game, the problem i have with this is it makes being a healer really hard beacuse they put most of thier PP into healing blue or whatever way.)

but anyways after you get the total (i will call this total att .total)    of that make it where they can only attack people wiht a total less then so many ponits of theirs. I think they should make these point change in the different secutiry zone you are in making mid level char to group up for protection against murders and thivefs or if they wanna go hunting some. and for a murder to attack a group it will take an avreage of thier skills and make that the group att.total but grouping toghter allows a more powerfull person to attack that group.(I think that last sentance may have made that  confusing just ask me to elaberate)

I think you missed or maybe i didnt explain that the zone will go beyond the city into the wilderness. After all a city has a very far infulance.  I also wanna make the zones everchangeing meaing that thier protection level will rise and fall due to the murders and stolen good in a zone.  But a zone so far out from the city can only have thier securtiy level go up so much and zone closer to the city can only have their securtiy level go down so much.

The thing is that low level noobs will have protection from murders.  I\'m still thinking of way to fix this but i think i have a soultion in my mind.

doning that though give crafters smithers miniers too much protection I wanna see crafter and other people of trade group up in carvans make mining camps  with protecting of hiring guilds and stuff. This idea about crafter i dunno if its a really good idea but i can expaned more on it on how to make it into the game. If you cant tell by now i dont really want NPC running the econmie  or even more active in the game unless through a quest.
 I am also a very big fan of guilds but i also wanna make it possible for just a group of 3 or more people to surive in the game and have lots of fun.

white_slayer

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 09:44:06 pm »
you could have guards like these guards would be totally powerful best armor and stuff ect.. and most of the places have them around like a group of three would walk along the road and just protect people but if u really want to risk it you could leave the vicinity of the guards where the map will become PKing (near guards u cnat attack anyone) evry hundred meters of so there would be a guard along main roads only and some spots where monsters are that lots of people are you cant pk cos thered be too many witnesses and therefore pk option is disabled (if noone is there its still disabled just so if 2 ppl there u cant die) the guards wouldnt be in main cities. well maybe a few but in the country thered be guys like like mountaneers  protecting ojaroad it would give a bit more fun and danger to the game if ur a noob you wouldnt venture away from the guards because ud die from monsters anyway. also that would increase people travelling in groups for sefety.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:45:54 pm by white_slayer »

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 05:04:52 am »
I personally dislike the all powerfull guard NPC.  Here are some of my reasons.

In most real life settings guards are not your best warriors.  Guards are usually just a step above the adverage population in training and skill.  

In MMORPG\'s high level characters and NPC\'s are usually unnaturally overpowered.  Where a normall person would not  just stand arround a dangerous path and make him or herself a target for fear of getting picked off by a bandits crossbow bolt, a super powered NPC is almost imune to projectiles and once attacked will make a bee line for the attacker no matter what the obstacles.

NPC intelegence is not very good, some one will find a way to fool the NPC guards into doing something stupid, like attacking each other.  You may say any programer could write a piece code to protect against such a thing, but many a comercial game is plaged with buggy NPC behavior.

The guards will protect you even when you dont want protection.  get too close to a guard when your fighting and the guard will kill your oponents weather or not you where in need of such service.

IMHO-- NPC gaurds should be confined to the major cites, and be mostly window dressing. And in major crisis they should attack in mass relying on volume and not super powerfull abilities.

Rolf Blacksmith

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 11:02:28 am »
How about some in_between?

There could be some guards patrolling the roads, but with a rather low frequency. They also should have considerable strength, but not quite overpowering a strong character.

So weaker characters would have the possibility to gather around those patrolling guards or form a travelling group of their own to cross some dangerous space. This would, in my opinion, promote RP, as people would have to interact with each other. There could also be some characters acting as protectors, accompanying such a group (maybe for a fee?) and earn some money or theit living that way.

Generally I\'m not in favour of a fixed zone-based system, as it looks rather unrealistic to me.
You CAN pick pockets in towns, just find a victim in a less frequented alley, and you can also kill others in town, for the same reason. It should rather be person-centered, like guards patrolling the town or a road create a small security zone around them, alerting others when they witness a crime.

That should be enough for the moment ...
Typing and grammatic errors may be safely ignored, they come without charge ...

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 02:12:08 am »
Even in a player vs player driven game there is usually safe zones. All of the comercial games I have played have them.  I have never played UO, but as I understand it, at one time it had no safe zones at all, and the caos is now ledgendary.  You could get killed and looted in the lag time between when you log on and and apear in the world and the time your computer takes to load the world environment and display it to you.

My experience with NPC guards is that they destroy the realism in the online world.  So for me it is counterproductive to have the ablitiy to kill other players to add realism and danger then take it away by adding fake NPC guards that more like heat seeking missles than human guards.

If the guards are week then they will do a poor job of protecting you, and most likely will be killed for sport by other players.  If they are and even match, they may not be strong enought to save you from death even though are able to punish those that attacked you. If they are just Uber, and you are completely safe arround them then, why not just have a \"safe zone\" it is the same difference as far as I am concerned.

Vaylos

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Byte-Mixer
    • View Profile
    • Byte-Mix Sound Design
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 09:47:25 am »
To be honest, I like the idea of having guards around.  I can count a few times where out adventuring in DAoC, my comrades were stupid, and pulled a swarm of high level mobs...(well, higher than us anyways)  so what do we do?  Run screaming for the nearest fortification so we\'d have guard assistance, and perhaps even not die hehe.

Ah, those were good times.  However, I think rather than have all-powerful guards, the guards should be taylored to the zones.  Guards in a \'safe\' city or largely urban area will probably be weaker (but maybe faster from chasing thieves all the time?)  Whereas if you\'ve got a group of guards in an outpost way out in some frontier region...they\'re going to be a bit more hones in their skills due to dealing with bandits and monsters more often.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:48:56 am by Vaylos »
\"For Art to appear, you must disappear\" - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Kymizer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 11:56:04 am »
or how about we just make it like one area where you can kill other people...like a certain place...because just someone being able to kill you because your traveling to anouther city seems stupid...someone..may be able to rob you...but then you can just travel with a group of people... and someone can only rob you if your alone...and that there is a warning if you walk into the area where you can freely kill other players...so they know if they are entering it or not..
Kyzer
The Blue Dragons Clan
The Dragon Council

DaveG is the greatest...
Quote from: DaveG
Dude, you have issues...