Author Topic: Realism, immersion and freedom  (Read 792 times)

Drudley

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Realism, immersion and freedom
« on: January 27, 2006, 02:37:32 pm »
Does anyone here think that these three things are important in a game?

If you do, how can you possibly be against open pvp?

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 01:43:27 pm »
Good point. My character would be a merciless killer, not someone who challenges others to a duel one-at-a-time and have it declined so he has to wait 10 minutes before killing. I don\'t agree on PvP areas, but anywhere outside of a city should be just open killing. (also, places with houses, NPC citizens, or monsters locked up like in the Arena would be safe zones.)

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
Idiots, griefers, powerlevelers
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 05:01:37 pm »
Yeah I like this idea also, that way, if a RPer asks a powerleveler to start Roleplaying the powerleveler can just wait outside of the city and kill the guy...

And all the idiots who will be waiting along the road just to kill somebody.

This idea only makes powerleveling more appealing, even necessary.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 08:17:12 pm »
Suno, were you just bored when you replied to this post?  This was Mr. Druds first post!  More than likely this is just a troll thread, and it should have been ignored, deleted or locked.

I am fairly certain waylander is being sarcastic in his post, but I can not tell if your serious or not when you say you want to roleplay a merciless killer.  If your are, then might I sugest you roleplay a bandit instead.  Merciless killers are very hard to roleplay so as people can tell you from someone who just wants to cause grief.

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 05:54:08 pm »
Well, obviously camping outside Hydlaa is wrong, but realistically, nothing can stop you from swinging your sword at someone and cutting them in half. Doing it in public places - such as Hydlaa - would send people after you. So, doing it in an outside spot - such as the Ojaveda Road - where there is no public, just small groups, it would be safe to slay someone and run away.

Now, I have no idea how they will be able to stop PK zone campers, but as long as they do these kinds of things IC - like maybe searching the woods for prey, and they feast on the meat of a dead Lemur for example - it would be ok.

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 08:37:01 pm »
Using realism as an argument for having completely open PvP system in a *fantasy* swords and sorcery style MMORPG is some what of an oxymoron.  

I personally think a MMORPG should have some realism to it, but the game is a fantasy world that only exists in a server as ones and zeros.  You probably would not like it if for instance it took 3 to 6 weeks of real time to heal from battle wounds, or if your character was bed ridden for 48 hours from a virus.  Or if you had take 30 minutes after a kill to skin a rat, for the hide and eyeball.  Or if it took 25 years to grow your character from birth to maturity just be able to have a chance a becoming a vagabond killer.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 01:30:18 am »
Originally posted by Suno_Regin ... but anywhere outside of a city should be just open killing. (also, places with houses, NPC citizens, or monsters locked up like in the Arena would be safe zones.)

Ok personally I would love to have an area, where there is a sign posted that said \"Enter but beware\" and have it open for combat.  Anything goes .... lets kill each other. Fun ..Fun.. Or certain area\'s in the game where the role players talk about it and tell stories to the newbies. Warning them of places not to travel to, explaining that they could be robbed or killed.

To me it seems to have every where in the wild between the cities open for combat would just make the newbie\'s not want to crawl out of the DR. There will always be the jerk who challenges everytime you spawn and try to leave. What fun would that be? Oh sure I guess you could travel in groups but if your new there won\'t really be that option. I think it would end up getting alot of new players frustrated and asking themselves what is the point. As Waylander had pointed out it would also promote powerleveling.
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 02:55:10 am »
Originally posted by Suno_Regin
My character would be a merciless killer, not someone who challenges others to a duel one-at-a-time and have it declined so he has to wait 10 minutes before killing.

Suno,

Is it your character who would be a merciless killer or you as the player? What prevents you giving an OOC explanation to your IC actions using [] or tells?

\"[ This character is a merciless killer who swings his sword at everybody. Are you ready for the challenge? ]\"

Another role-player could react in the way that is proper for his/her character and either fight with you or try to escape. They would spread the word about a merciless killer and your character would be known as one of the greatest fighters without any need for duel points shown on the web page ;)
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken
Are the strongest resounding"