Author Topic: Sport Battles  (Read 1027 times)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
Sport Battles
« on: February 11, 2006, 06:54:56 pm »
It\'s quite a bother to have to visit the death realm when one just wants a sport battle.

I think it would be great if we could engage in practise duels, where health is still lost, but the combat ends without death.

Why!?
Because this would be extremely useful for arena events, practising and some roleplay situations. I have found my character in more than one situation where there should be battle but not death...

No, no, don\'t act all wise on me telling me that players should instead check the health bar of the opponent or yield once they have received enough damage. In the heat of battle rational thoughts usually slip through our hands, some times we can\'t trust those health bars (ie lag) and our reaction time might not be good enough.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 06:57:40 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 08:59:19 pm »
I agree one hundred percent.  This would be a really useful feature for role playing.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Stephen McNaire

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 09:08:00 pm »
Perhapes when you duel and your health drops below a certain amount (35%, 40%?), a window pops up with the text \"Do you yield?\" Clicking yes ends the duel with you in defeat. If you\'re stubborn though you can ignore it and fight until you die (Or you manage to get him/her). That way you have a reminder during your \'heated\' battle.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 10:01:29 pm »
I think the best (and simplest and least messy) choice would simply have a separate \"spar\" duel, as Sangwa originally suggested :> Perhaps have the duel stop when one of the parties reaches 5% of health (or just 5 HP, which sounds better to me). Such a thing would not only be useful, it\'s almost necessary.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

neko kyouran

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 11:04:50 pm »
I\'ll go along with all this.  A seperate sparing challenge is more RP friendly IMO anyway.  But there is the troublesome, how to get around the one hit one kills senario,  but I\'m sure it will all be balanced better in the end.

Stephen McNaire

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 11:18:57 pm »
I acually forgot to post that I agreed with Sangwa too*Smacks face* :p. My suggestion was just another option thought up as I read, they\'re a dime a dozen from me^^. But you\'re right, scratch it.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 07:32:32 am »
Already planned by me.... just not implimented. Maybe the next time someone looks at PvP I can get them to make the system better in this way.....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 07:33:20 am by Xordan »

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 08:28:12 am »
Great :D That would sure make life easier for alot of us.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Pestilence

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:34:39 am »
hmm yeah training swordfighting should be possible to RP as fighting without risking death by lag :P

Nyramael

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:52:22 am »
i second the notion. This sounds like a really good idea but two things; it needs to apply only in PvP and people still need to get the duel points from the automatic yeilds. If so a very good addition to the combat system.

Pestilence

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 10:58:15 am »
I don\'t think anyone wanted it an other way.

I mean only PvP well thats obvious ;) and duelpoints I think should also remain. Atleast as long as you can get them anyhow ;)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 02:15:17 pm »
I don\'t agree with duel points one bit, since it\'s kinda like a reputation system. To me it\'s a completly OOC function without any use to RP and I\'ve seen how many people don\'t attribute them the slightest relevance...

Since we have the option to fight between guilds, I also think it might be a good idea to add this feature to guild wars. For the same reasons as it should be implemented on normal PvP.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:24:49 pm by Sangwa »

Join the Dark Empire!

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 02:22:50 pm »
Originally posted by Xordan
Already planned by me.... just not implimented. Maybe the next time someone looks at PvP I can get them to make the system better in this way.....

YAY!!! Works for me and looking forward to it. :D

Originally posted by Sangwa
I don\'t agree with duel points one bit, since it\'s kinda like a reputation system. To me it\'s a completly OOC function without any use to RP and I\'ve seen how many people don\'t attribute them the slightest relevance...

I agree with Sangwa. There should be a system in place were we can go with a gang of us and just fight for fun. No punishments or consequences, just plain fun.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:23:14 pm by zorbels »
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 02:26:46 pm »
Yeah, we\'re doing it anyways even while being bothered by the lack of conditions :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:28:03 pm by Sangwa »

Join the Dark Empire!