Author Topic: Pking  (Read 1699 times)

Darkarelf

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Pking
« on: March 30, 2006, 02:34:42 pm »
What if players had the ability to decide if they want to be able to become PK\'d or not and the longer you survive with PKing on, the more survival points you get.  I guess you could save up points and use them to do something.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 01:39:18 pm by Darkarelf »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pking
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 09:43:46 pm »
Woot... points... so RP related.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 08:15:45 am »
What if players had the ability to decide if they want to be able to become PK\'d or not and the longer you survive with PKing on, the more survival points you get.  I guess you could save up points and use them to do something. 

INcreased attack power, for example Assassins?(at least good for backstabbing classes) Increased Defence for for tanks, maybe increased magicka for Mages(Magicka= Mana)

Drahlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 01:29:00 pm »
Woot... points... so RP related.

Just as related as Duel Points, Experience Points, Progressions Points, Guild Points, slash values, skill levels, etc. Points are central to a computer-based RPG, where skills and experience must be measured digitally.

-Drahlian

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:31:39 pm »
I don't see how you can explain "survival points" though, nor what it can be used for.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 01:53:02 pm »
I don't see how you can explain "survival points" though, nor what it can be used for.

The points can be time-based. The longer you stay alive, the more "survival points" is built up. Survival point could also have a negative effect, example increased nervousity lowering agility which would make you more clumsy in battle.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 02:16:02 pm »
Time-based is exactly what the original poster meant, so I'm aware of that :] That doesn't answer my semi-questions, however. Experience points and PPs you get when you are actually doing something, and learning from it, for example. But what purpose would survival points have? How do you explain them, what is the need for them, what would you do with them, etc.

Take into consideration that with anything time-based, someone can idle in a corner somewhere safe from harm and gather these up to spend on something more beneficial later. Of course you could then suggest that there be limits, perhaps penalties, etc., but is such a system worth pursuing? Is the work to be done on it worthwhile?
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 06:37:03 pm »
Time-based is exactly what the original poster meant, so I'm aware of that :] That doesn't answer my semi-questions, however. Experience points and PPs you get when you are actually doing something, and learning from it, for example. But what purpose would survival points have? How do you explain them, what is the need for them, what would you do with them, etc.

Take into consideration that with anything time-based, someone can idle in a corner somewhere safe from harm and gather these up to spend on something more beneficial later. Of course you could then suggest that there be limits, perhaps penalties, etc., but is such a system worth pursuing? Is the work to be done on it worthwhile?

Oh i'm just bugging the critics by handing out new ideas :P I understand you point :) Players in Planeshift(Especially PS) can be nervous without points. Though, it would be cool if you had a boost for being brave :)

Torik

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 02:29:22 pm »
here are 5 pros and cons that could help this idea...

survival points could be used positively for:

1.Raising stats temporarily
2.Raising charisma (making your character look more brave)
3.RP events (there could be a "manhunt" and whoever has the most Survival points wins)
4.Makes some NPCs respect you
5.Could add to recruiting for "fighters" guilds

survival points could be used negatively:

1.Decreases awareness
2.Makes gaurds in towns more suspicious
3.Makes some NPCs scared of you
4.Gives a larger penalty if you die (more than just going to DR)
5.Easier to Assasinate, pickpocket ect.

What if people just want a place where they can go and kill each other. A place where evil roams, a place where bad people stay and prey on the weak that enter. A place for the strong to test their strength, a place for the sneaky to avoid being seen, a place for the explorers looking for a dangerous adventure, a place where forbidden magic may be cast. I like this idea and i hope its like by others too.

shorty13

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Skiing > All
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 09:57:48 pm »
okay so someone turns it on and hides in a corner no one goes and gains survival points for days...
There are two types of people in this world: The Pinky and the Brain.
Which one are you?

Torik

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 10:15:14 pm »
okay so someone turns it on and hides in a corner no one goes and gains survival points for days...

there could be certain areas where survival points can be gained. And over time your points could go up 1 per hour, and when you kill someone you get 5 or when you win in a duel you get 3. Or if you kill a monster you get an extra 1.

Another idea... The higher lvl you are the easier it becomes to get survival points. so that way you cant just make a guy, sit in a corner and acspect to get lots of survival the next day. You have to work at your character. maybe even some sorts of RP could give you Survival points.

There are other ways to make people avoid sitting in a corner....i just cant think of them yet  :sleeping:

white_slayer

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 04:30:06 am »
You could make them do it inside a stadium or arena and say a fight to the death sort of thing :)

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 04:20:20 pm »
did someone say FFA's torny's ;D

limited people FFA's (free for all) say groups of 20 - 30, speak with NPC "X" and buy a inscrition to enter the contest, contests last 45minutes, contestants are teleported to a special arena at the begining of the torny, "there must be only one" rule and anything goes ;D when it ends the 45min all contestants are teleported back, there is a pre-inscrition of 15min before another tourny starts

half a tria worth of thoughts :sweatdrop:

SovHed

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • ADHosting, Hosting PsMirror.org
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 05:45:23 am »
survival points, i think you mean PLing points, maybe they should just be given for how many people you kill? PKing in a "Unsafe zone" a lot of loot, but Pks as well. NO PKing outside the zone? They do that in Project entropia. works fine in there. Let the PLers and PKs play point games in an open PVP zone all to themselves? Sounds good to me. That isnt the point of Planeshift though  :o.

OK what am i talking about? oh ye, survival points, They should be just like duel points, you get nothing from them, its just to prove that you can click buttons so there is no point rewarding that, otherwise i would get an army of chimps to come and play PS for me.

So apart from the main point of this thread im all for it :)
Sov Hed, Leader of the Thieves of Yliakum
Owner of ADHosting(www.ad-sl.com), sponsor of psmirror.org (www.psmirror.org)

Ecolem

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 11:29:49 pm »
i dont understand why you guys dont understand! Its a great idea imo, one that can be used to your advantage.
If you dont like this time based idea then go for how much NEW area you cover every time you enter the PK zone. So you would only be able to obtain points if you move on map you haven't covered yet that session, it makes sure you cant hide in one place for a day. Simple. Although i still dont know if the PVP area would be used as a separate place from Yakilums main city's or as a path way to and from points of interest.
Now as for the rewards you have a number of choices:
1) You have to obtain a certain number of points until you earn certain titles then can be visible on mouse over of that character. This is good for RP as it allows you to tell stories of your 'great adventures'.
2) You can gain certain skills and stats that are ONLY obtainable from this survival skill.

And so on...

btw if your gona criticize me, do it in a positive way thanks