Author Topic: for the evil ones among us  (Read 2489 times)

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 12:39:17 pm »
That\'s actualy a pretty good system for it.

But the question is: Do we want PvP thieving at all?

I\'d love it, but I can imagine how it would get annoying.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 12:43:04 pm »
well its a system that would not encourage thieving, much like in the medievel times townpeople would make millitias on  thieves.

just adding one more thing: if the thieve would log off the stolen goods would go back to the victim.

burned man

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 01:19:01 pm »
Originally posted by minetus
well its a system that would not encourage thieving, much like in the medievel times townpeople would make millitias on  thieves.

just adding one more thing: if the thieve would log off the stolen goods would go back to the victim.

it\'s a damn good system and militia would be a good replacement for the npc\'s then but what is the use of stealing when your stuf go back?

clint8565

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 02:12:14 pm »
I think he means that the stuff would go back if you stole the stuff, but were noticed and force dueled, then you log off so you don\'t have to fight, then the stuff goes back, but if you go unnoticed you would keep it I think.

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 02:13:29 pm »
good point

adding this:
the stollen goods would only go back to the victim if the victim noticed the theft and duel+kill the thief or doing the allarm and one of the surrounding players (that are in the allarme area) kills the thief, or thief logs off - in a time period say 5-10minutes?

also:

the allarme area would be of about 50m +- in PS world units something like that(around 35x the size of a dwarf, sounds a significant area)

also:
i tink this would favor group partying and more people moving together since a lone target would be a easy target somewhat most of the times, and thieves would have too think more than 3 times before they act evolving the rp environment, also a penalization if the thief is caught might aply, like loosing some money

burned man

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 02:49:54 pm »
good point

adding this:
the stollen goods would only go back to the victim if the victim noticed the theft and duel+kill the thief or doing the allarm and one of the surrounding players (that are in the allarme area) kills the thief, or thief logs off - in a time period say 5-10minutes?

also:

the allarme area would be of about 50m +- in PS world units something like that(around 35x the size of a dwarf, sounds a significant area)

also:
i tink this would favor group partying and more people moving together since a lone target would be a easy target somewhat most of the times, and thieves would have too think more than 3 times before they act evolving the rp environment, also a penalization if the thief is caught might aply, like loosing some money

you could not be more right my friend, fear gathers people round ;)

burned man

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 02:51:33 pm »
well then moderators i think minetus did a very good proposition. Will you consider it now?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 02:57:04 pm »
Originally posted by Xordan:
...nothing like this will happen too soon. Our world isn\'t big enough.

We may have our own ideas as well, but this is for the future, as stated.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Waylander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 04:09:13 pm »
Keep talking if you want about it of course, perhaps you will think of something the devs have not and may wish to add.

This is the wish list, which means it is pretty much a place where players post about features they want and the devs will come and check in on it every now and then, if they see anything exceptionaly good looking they may implement it but, chances aren\'t overly high.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 12:52:24 am »
The level idea has been suggested before. The problem is PS does not have levels. You will have to use skill points instead. And if you don\'t have any restrictions High skill level thieves will rob low skill player?s blind. You can add a restriction to only allow thieves to be able to steal from players within 5 skill levels but this will favor more combat oriented players. Those with high crafting skills will be attacked by high level thieves and will have no chance at dueling the thief to get the items back. This will put pressure on the bounty hunter system that you proposed. It will be up to good-natured players who can stand around for long periods of time just waiting for players to get into trouble. PS already has a server of these. There called GM\'s. Finding more players who do not want to be GM\'s but do want to be bounty hunters will be difficult as being a GM has desirable perks that bunt hunter will not have.

Even if you succeed in creating a vibrant thief bounty hunter system you will still have problems. Very few players will want to be the victim; they will want to be either a thief or a bounty hunter. Now your game will be reduced to a game-that-shall-not-be-named kind of game.

the stollen goods would only go back to the victim if the victim noticed the theft and
or thief logs off - in a time period say 5-10minutes?

This is a very good idea for a PvP system. If PS ever decides to have thieving this would be a great idea.

also:

You act as though a thief would back away from a challenge. In my experience this is not the case. This would just be more braggin rights if successful. And who says a thief would attack alone? When a band of 6 thieves comes upon your group of three, then what will you do? You bring a knife to a sword fight and your gona loose, err, well, if your dagger skill is not high enough you will.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 12:59:36 am by derwoodly »

burned man

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 01:51:51 am »
Originally posted by derwoodly
The level idea has been suggested before. The problem is PS does not have levels. You will have to use skill points instead. And if you don\'t have any restrictions High skill level thieves will rob low skill player?s blind. You can add a restriction to only allow thieves to be able to steal from players within 5 skill levels but this will favor more combat oriented players. Those with high crafting skills will be attacked by high level thieves and will have no chance at dueling the thief to get the items back. This will put pressure on the bounty hunter system that you proposed. It will be up to good-natured players who can stand around for long periods of time just waiting for players to get into trouble. PS already has a server of these. There called GM\'s. Finding more players who do not want to be GM\'s but do want to be bounty hunters will be difficult as being a GM has desirable perks that bunt hunter will not have.

Even if you succeed in creating a vibrant thief bounty hunter system you will still have problems. Very few players will want to be the victim; they will want to be either a thief or a bounty hunter. Now your game will be reduced to a game-that-shall-not-be-named kind of game.

the stollen goods would only go back to the victim if the victim noticed the theft and
or thief logs off - in a time period say 5-10minutes?

This is a very good idea for a PvP system. If PS ever decides to have thieving this would be a great idea.

also:

You act as though a thief would back away from a challenge. In my experience this is not the case. This would just be more braggin rights if successful. And who says a thief would attack alone? When a band of 6 thieves comes upon your group of three, then what will you do? You bring a knife to a sword fight and your gona loose, err, well, if your dagger skill is not high enough you will.

ok that was useless listen to this:
1. if you want people to fake certain behaviour that resembles real life behaviour then you will have to add criminals;
2. thieves better work alone, the gangs you speak of also in real life are loosers
3. there should not be a range of players to thieve of because if there was and you were a really high level, who the hell would you thieve from?
4. you just one of those crybabies i talked about, please if you don\'t want to be robbed just be alert

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 02:19:48 am »
Calling people crybabies when they offer an opinion that differs from your own won\'t help your idea in the slightest.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Waylander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 02:37:26 am »
and the term is carebear actualy...Non-PvPers are refered to as Carebears by the PvP community.

Not that it\'s important, just get your insults right :P

Aaaanyways,

Calling people anything insulting will not help your ideas and will usualy get the thread closed.  Try to remember than everybody is different and that Planeshift is more inclined to PvE than PvP.  If somebody disagrees with you he is not insulting you.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 04:31:57 am »

ok that was useless listen to this:
1. if you want people to fake certain behaviour that resembles real life behaviour then you will have to add criminals;

Criminal behavior is really easy to reproduce.  Just google \"OU crime\" and see what you get.

2. thieves better work alone, the gangs you speak of also in real life are loosers

I used the term band not gang, but the word is not that important.  Any organized group of players will have the advantage over a solitary player.  Grouping together for protection works both ways.  Play Shadowbane and you will know that thieves do group.

3. there should not be a range of players to thieve of because if there was and you were a really high level, who the hell would you thieve from?

I actually do not like having arbitrary rules to PvP, I think they are too easy to exploit.  I provided the level restriction rule as an option.  With or without the level restriction you still have an issue with what to use for determining success or failure based on skill level.  If a thief has a skill of 100 in pick pocket what do you match that up to to determine success? Sword skill? or do you need a whole new skill like awareness?

4. you just one of those crybabies i talked about, please if you don\'t want to be robbed just be alert

I am not sure I am who you think I am.  I generally do not whine about loosing in game items or money.  I do however like to complain on the boards.  Is that what you mean by crybaby?

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 07:00:25 am »
@ derwoodly: you raise some good arguments, and thats what forums are for, to discuss and speak your mind on the subject..

@ burned man: being rude will lead you know were, remember not every one thinks like you and on top of that no one is obligated to follow your way of tinking i\'d advise you to tink 2 twice before posting next time..

ps. ill post after lunch to go back on topic..

*edit*

1st. sry for double post

The level idea has been suggested before. The problem is PS does not have levels. You will have to use skill points instead. And if you don\'t have any restrictions High skill level thieves will rob low skill player?s blind. You can add a restriction to only allow thieves to be able to steal from players within 5 skill levels but this will favor more combat oriented players. Those with high crafting skills will be attacked by high level thieves and will have no chance at dueling the thief to get the items back. This will put pressure on the bounty hunter system that you proposed. It will be up to good-natured players who can stand around for long periods of time just waiting for players to get into trouble.

mm i never sugested character level, but stat and/or skill level.
the stats/skills evolved could be in this case of theft in the thieve (agility + pickpocket) and remenber i did mension a cap \"70%\" that will limit the thief to that maximum success rate(+- 2/3 chance of success but that cap can be edited for a harder success amount...)
the whole point of this system is that.. to exist heros there has to be evil too.

------------
PS already has a server of these. There called GM\'s. Finding more players who do not want to be GM\'s but do want to be bounty hunters will be difficult as being a GM has desirable perks that bunt hunter will not have.

GM\'s task has nothing to do with this... unless a thief is griefing another character

------------

the idea is not to create a vibrant thief system, but one that could work.
in real life few to none steal for pleasure, is more of a nessecity. thats what im trying to describe.
check my post and you will see that i mensioned in the end that a punishment could be aplyed to the thief.

------------

not my intention, maybe you got it wrong.. the point is to make it a chalenge to the thief, making him act more strategicly then bluntely rob, imagine a thief in the hydla plaza trying to rob a player there...
he will have 1st to chose hes victim, 2nd if the area isnt to crowd then he will have to chose what path he would have to take to strike and then chose one escape root in case things go wrong...

i dont tink banding is viable.. a random timer on victim to get robed again could aply here, to avoid griefing a group theft would work similarly like the group loot system but this would be only 1 theft attempt per victom, the only thing is that has a group the thief would be more protected and could face a larger N? of players here again they would have still have to think strategicly to achieve theyr goal.

ps: i know theres spelling errors in there...

Don\'t apologize for a double-post. Just don\'t make one, and edit your last post instead to add new information. --Karyuu
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 11:08:21 am by minetus »