Author Topic: Mostly Player-Skill based PvP  (Read 10573 times)

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sugested solution:Quarantine and/or death sentence
    • View Profile
    • A MUD gladiator game.Press link and level to make me rich.
Mostly Player-Skill based PvP
« on: March 04, 2007, 05:38:08 am »
I have played all three parts of gothic and i realy must say that their combat system is one of the best i have seen because it allows very difrent tactics to be used(though its realy hard till you get used to it). Personaly i think something like this would destroy the need for Hit'N'Run duels because plaeyrs would have their own backstep block and attack combinations that are easier and better executed while stationary(for those who havent played Gothic the system required you to draw your sword press and hold shift and then press wasd depending on the combination you want "w" was for a purely offensive combo "s" was for a block "d" and "a" helped when you needed to fend something off while your friend chops it to bits).
I was wondering if there was a way to introduce something like this into PS because in my oppinion it would realy raise the challenge and thrill of duels to a whole new level.
Singned
  -One serious case of nuty.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Player-Skill based PvP
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 05:42:01 am »
I don't think player skills in combat is what we are after.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 05:43:16 am »
Yes raise the challenge and thrill! Then noone will do anything else. Kind of like it already is..
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 07:01:26 am »
Well i offered my idea its all in Talads vote now
But personaly even if it was like this one duels would be more realistic after all there is movement but not as much as hit and run gives in duels.
Also these kinds of duels would create a way for a person not having to rely on the system to strike but on himself. Still as ive said i can argue here all i want but if Talad doesent want it its not geting in.
Singned

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 07:04:49 am »
Thats exactly what they're trying to avoid.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:20:07 am »
Players having a choice in their battle strategy directly ???
Singned

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:23:14 am »
Players having to use their own skill. Someone with slow reflexs wouldn't be able to role play a fast fighter regardless of their stats. Imagine the musical instrument requiring the player to be able to play guitar otherwise no matter how much you leveled you were useless at it.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 11:47:51 am »
What they probably want is two players face eachother and agree on fighting .. then the game mechanics kick in and you just have to sit back and watch the show. That way the fight outcome isn't dependent on the player but on the character.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 12:34:13 pm »
Yeh that kinda sucks.
In Guild Wars you have at least some control over your character and the outcome but here the only effect you may have is changing stance and weapons.
Singned

lordraleigh

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 12:48:45 pm »
What they probably want is two players face eachother and agree on fighting .. then the game mechanics kick in and you just have to sit back and watch the show. That way the fight outcome isn't dependent on the player but on the character.

I would prefer to watch an  action movie then like "Gladiator"...

No way of becoming that! It would suck! Even in PnP RPGs you can decide which type of spell to cast or when to make your character retreat. The control of the tactical part of combat should be given to players.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 05:54:36 pm »
Why no player skill in fighting?  Seems rather silly to me.  Everything else ingame requires player skill.  You have to know the right spot to mine at.  You have to know the right amount of stock to craft with.  Why shouldn't you have to know the right way to fight?
Jangeol Bakieck the Scarred
Dameve Angelun the Insane
Ehatihen the Cowardly Kran

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 05:58:47 pm »
Probably for the same reason we have elves but no dragons, undead grendols but no vampires. Personal preference on part of the dev team in deciding how parts of the game should function.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 06:23:22 pm »
And here I thought that was because you guys wanted to be original... my mistake :-\
Jangeol Bakieck the Scarred
Dameve Angelun the Insane
Ehatihen the Cowardly Kran

Narure

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 11:23:38 am »
Probably for the same reason we have elves but no dragons, undead grendols but no vampires. Personal preference on part of the dev team in deciding how parts of the game should function.

So basicaly... too much of a pain in the ass to code then? It makes sense to have player skill involved because otherwise your not 'playing' and surely the idea of a game is to play it? Like people have said, if we cant control, we might as well go watch a movie.

Players having to use their own skill. Someone with slow reflexs wouldn't be able to role play a fast fighter regardless of their stats. Imagine the musical instrument requiring the player to be able to play guitar otherwise no matter how much you leveled you were useless at it.

And if a 3 year old maxed their characters intellegence or charisma (both of which stupid things to have as stats if you ask me)?

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 11:39:28 am »

So basicaly... too much of a pain in the ass to code then? It makes sense to have player skill involved because otherwise your not 'playing' and surely the idea of a game is to play it? Like people have said, if we cant control, we might as well go watch a movie.

You do control. You control how your character interacts with other people. You decide the decisions that your character makes. Can you control the movie?

And if a 3 year old maxed their characters intellegence or charisma (both of which stupid things to have as stats if you ask me)?

What if s/he does?