Author Topic: Mostly Player-Skill based PvP  (Read 10574 times)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Player-Skill based PvP
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 11:57:14 am »
So basicaly... too much of a pain in the ass to code then?

I don't know where you got that from when I said it's based on preference. Of course you're playing the game - you're the one making decisions for your character. However since you're not physically inhabiting your character's body, there are some decisions the game needs to make for you, with your guidance. In PlaneShift, you don't get the chance to lag out your opponent and do fancy button-smashing in order to prove your skill as a player. You work with your character and have him or her prove his/her own worth. You don't get the credit for an awesome fight - it doesn't belong to you. That's your character's work. If anyone wants it the other way around, they may need to look for another game.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Narure

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 02:34:01 pm »
You don't get the credit for an awesome fight - it doesn't belong to you. That's your character's work. If anyone wants it the other way around, they may need to look for another game.

Pfft I'd like to get SOME cerdit for well done RPs I do, otherwise fair game.

And if a 3 year old maxed their characters intellegence or charisma (both of which stupid things to have as stats if you ask me)?

What if s/he does?

Then the 3 year old is inhibited in his/her abilty to have an intellegent character in anyway other than the number... Intellegence is player skill that is required. But I supose thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 02:40:36 pm »

Pfft I'd like to get SOME cerdit for well done RPs I do, otherwise fair game.

I'm not even going to comment on that...

Then the 3 year old is inhibited in his/her abilty to have an intellegent character in anyway other than the number... Intellegence is player skill that is required. But I supose thats the way the cookie crumbles.

If I make a character that is a mathamatical genius I'd need to back that up wouldn't I. Granted the game mechanics don't cover everything. It's not going to hold your hand and guide you though it. If I download and install the game with no hands somehow I can't fight eiter. No way to touch the mouse.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Narure

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 02:52:44 pm »
Charming. Your nose + the keyboard doesnt take a genius.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 03:50:40 pm »
Was that ment to have a point? It was an example. If you're stupid, you don't have the OOC knowledge to do it. It becomes bad rp then.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 05:03:24 pm »
He's saying that since dumb people can play we should have player skill based PVP. I'm saying that regardless of who plays, we shouldn't.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 05:17:17 pm »
That's your character's work. If anyone wants it the other way around, they may need to look for another game.
To be honest, when player skill is taken completely out of dueling, I will find another game... I love rp, but that's thanks to the community, it has nothing to do with the game.  I can go rp in another game that has decent PvP.

Watching your char doing everything isn't entertaining, as it's been said before, I could go watch a movie and it would look far cooler.  I don't see why the devs are so averse to player skill being involved in combat when they have nothing against it being there in every other part of the game.  This game probably has the most player skill involved crafting I've seen, same goes for mining.  Why is there player skill invovled in these parts?  Well, because without it, it wouldn't be fun.  Same goes for combat, when you're not doing anything, it's not fun, and to be honest the answer of 'because we feel like it' seems like a cop out to me.
Jangeol Bakieck the Scarred
Dameve Angelun the Insane
Ehatihen the Cowardly Kran

Narure

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 05:18:49 pm »
Yeah what he said. The only thing keeping me is the community, not the game.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 05:45:45 pm »
Hmm, everyone has a different preference as far as playing style.

Normally I would agree with the idea of player-skill in an RPG (or at least a certain degree of it) rather than the fight being determined simply by how much you've power-leveled.

However, in this context I don't, for one simple reason: lag. Even the best of us lag around a bit. For the worst of us, combat will be impossible due to lag, which means (at least for now) they'll have no way of getting decent experience.

In an internet game, determining the winner based on 'player skill' is pretty much just determining the winner based on connection speed...

drah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 06:45:46 pm »
Shouldn't the outcome of a game of Groffeltoe be automated based on INT then?

I wouldn't mind an alternate combat system.. but I'd like to see one that gives the player a lot of strategic decision making, so that there is still something more to learn to become a good fighter than just how to level your character up.  Not something timing based, but something that can make some use of knowledge, cunning, tactics... otherwise it becomes a dull, passive experience.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 06:49:00 pm by drah »

lordraleigh

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 11:44:11 pm »
Having a "combat system" just like in "the Sims", where you just click on a unfriendly "sim", order the "sim" to "fight" and wait without having any choice on influencing on the outcome of the fight tactically on the skills/spells the characters will use or movements he/she will make, would be the most boring combat system ever designed for a MMORPG. And if it is the choice of development, I guess that roleplaying combat, although more difficult, will always be more interesting.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 12:49:31 am »
However, in this context I don't, for one simple reason: lag. Even the best of us lag around a bit. For the worst of us, combat will be impossible due to lag, which means (at least for now) they'll have no way of getting decent experience.
If you have a DSL connection, which most everyone does by now, you shouldn't have any problem.
Jangeol Bakieck the Scarred
Dameve Angelun the Insane
Ehatihen the Cowardly Kran

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 07:12:25 am »
If you have a DSL connection, which most everyone does by now, you shouldn't have any problem.

I dont. As I said in a previous post. Should I have to play a slow, weak and poorly trained character just because I have the misfortune to not live in a broadband enabled area?

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

socia

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2007, 07:20:08 am »
please think about posts you make...
please don't flame about something without real idea...
This is roleplaying game, it should be 50% or more based on character skills. It's up on player if it would be 100% player based pvp to choose how good his character is so it's same as now with roleplaying fight.
 :whistling: