Author Topic: Mostly Player-Skill based PvP  (Read 10572 times)

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Player-Skill based PvP
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2007, 05:27:59 am »
I think if your opponent is wearing heavy armour you aim to knock them over, but that's slightly off topic. Being able to have a target area of the body is a good idea but you may hit other areas if your aren't very skilful.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Marmalade

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2007, 12:36:48 am »
Probably for the same reason we have elves but no dragons, undead grendols but no vampires. Personal preference on part of the dev team in deciding how parts of the game should function.

So basicaly... too much of a pain in the ass to code then? It makes sense to have player skill involved because otherwise your not 'playing' and surely the idea of a game is to play it? Like people have said, if we cant control, we might as well go watch a movie.

I'm thinking of a really bad MMO that starts with the letter..... R......

SovHed

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • ADHosting, Hosting PsMirror.org
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2007, 10:06:30 am »
I realize I am about to rez a dead topic however this cannot go unsaid.

The PVP system in PS at the moment fails. Gothic's combat system is simple but highly effective. It adds strategy and skill to a fight. I do not think it fair that at the moment running through your oponent while the other is squished with lag is fair, especially considering the epic lag on the server.

For those of you who say that we don't want player control skills influencing combat.... think about what you are saying before you post :) It makes absolutely no sense.  :whistling:

Thank you.
Sov Hed, Leader of the Thieves of Yliakum
Owner of ADHosting(www.ad-sl.com), sponsor of psmirror.org (www.psmirror.org)

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2007, 10:22:10 am »
I realize I am about to rez a dead topic however this cannot go unsaid.

The PVP system in PS at the moment fails. Gothic's combat system is simple but highly effective. It adds strategy and skill to a fight. I do not think it fair that at the moment running through your oponent while the other is squished with lag is fair, especially considering the epic lag on the server.

For those of you who say that we don't want player control skills influencing combat.... think about what you are saying before you post :) It makes absolutely no sense.  :whistling:

Thank you.

Just a side note (though I am in complete agreement with what sov is saying)

The new dueling system makes hit and run impossible, you have to stand still, and face the enemy, to attack. Despite this lag is still an issue, and often the winner of duels. If only we had a turn based dueling system. *hint*

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2007, 01:22:17 pm »
I am still gunning for a completely character-skill based PvP system, with complete player-skill control.

Rongar Elani

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • "post count +1" ~~Neko Kyouran
    • View Profile
    • Guild forums of 'The Awakened'
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2007, 01:40:16 pm »

The new dueling system makes hit and run impossible, you have to stand still, and face the enemy, to attack. Despite this lag is still an issue, and often the winner of duels. If only we had a turn based dueling system. *hint*

Uh ... huh? New dueling system? Did I miss something?

A w a k e n!

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2007, 01:48:51 pm »

Uh ... huh? New dueling system? Did I miss something?

Its not new anymore, it used to be that you could do hit and run attacks.. Now you can't initiate attcks unless you're within touching distance. Thus hit and run is impossible.

I should say 'current' dueling system

Rongar Elani

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • "post count +1" ~~Neko Kyouran
    • View Profile
    • Guild forums of 'The Awakened'
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2007, 01:54:12 pm »
Heh, I'd say 'old' dueling system, as this recently added range check is already history now ;)

A w a k e n!

veinslayer

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2008, 10:22:17 pm »
why not make it a choice for players to rely on their skill or the computers...er...watch and wait style, with benefits to it for instance:
*players who do skill will be more prone to movement, so they use more stamina.
^players who take up a stance, and stand there ground have a center of balance, and use less stamina, and hit more accurately
*players who use skill based get dodge and def. bonuses
^players who use tried-and true stances gain offensive enhancements
*players who use skill based can pick their target attack area(specified by tendency, i.e., set it up on the numeric keypad)
^players who use the watch style character's will attack what they think is best to attackin the current situation.
etc......

Ichaas

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2008, 11:21:52 am »
I personally love how so many people hated the idea of having soem control and interaction during combat instead of sitting thereand wasiting for it to play out.
Oh no! Some gameplay elements? What madness is this!?

Seriously, we all know that this gme is centred around RP, but then again if you wanted a fully RP game you might as well have continued with the original MUD version. Someone tell me a good reason why this idea of player skill and interactivity is such terrible thing?

I'm personnally going to say that this type of thing would require a total overhual ofthe combat system - there is no point in having one combat system for NPC's and another for players, it wouldn't work out very well really. But the point still stands - player interactive combat is NOT a bad thing. player interactive anythign is NOT  a bad thing. Looks at games everywhere - the line of progression has gone from sitting - watching - waiting - repeat , to affecting - changing - interacting with whatever you are doing. Why? because it's what keep's people interested.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 11:26:04 am by Ichaas »

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2008, 11:46:12 am »
Seriously, we all know that this gme is centred around RP, but then again if you wanted a fully RP game you might as well have continued with the original MUD version. Someone tell me a good reason why this idea of player skill and interactivity is such terrible thing?

One word = lag
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2008, 09:24:50 am »
Three words.
Optimum game performance.
Two more.
Sometime later.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2008, 09:05:03 pm »
I don't dislike the fact that a weak player can defeat a stronger character because they are better at dueling, but i do dislike that some players have better hardware than others, and so with the "hit and run" dueling players with a worse computer system end up losing because of too much lag.  I've seen players repeatedly cast useless, but very graphic spells just so that their opponent lags into defeat. Perhaps something should be done to end hit and run dueling, but not a simple stop and watch your char fight duel, that would be a bit overboard.
Censorship FTW.