Author Topic: Pick pocketing.  (Read 6540 times)

Narure

Pick pocketing.
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:45:12 am »
The idea starts with the fact that characters have to wear all their items on their person. As well as a weight all items are given a length, breath and volume value. You would then be able to carry a sack, in which you could put items that fit, using the length and breath values and as many items as the volume of the sack allows. Items could also be carried on your person. Such as strapped to your back if you don’t have a sack their or on your belt, etc. The length and breath would take the minimum possible, for example a tefusang skin could be rolled to take up less space.
Now the main part of the idea is that 'pat down' command would be part of the pick pocketing skill. This would allow the player if they get close enough to know what sort of items the other character has in their sack or any other item in which other items are concealed. How much pick pocketing skill you have determines how accurate that is for example at the lower levels you may see "there is a sharp object in 'playernames' sack" and at higher levels it maybe "there is a dagger in 'playernames' sack", as well as this the bigger the volume of the item in the sack the more likely it is to be felt. Also depending on skill would be whether or not you get caught doing this, if you do the other player is alerted. With the 'ol big red letters if you really screw up or just a message in the chat window if it is more subtle. Assuming you weren’t caught an inventory window comes up with all the items you felt, be it just 'round object' and gives an approximate size or 'apple' and an exact size depending on your skill you then get to pick one thing to try and steal. The success of this is them decided by how secure the sack is, the other persons pick pocketing skill, the weight and the volume of the item, 'cos if someone tries to steal the coat off your back you more likely to notice than if they pinch an apple from your pocket. From there you can either fail to get the item and be spotted, fail to get the item and get away with it but trying again on the same person would mean a more likely chance of being caught, getting the item and being spotted, getting the item and getting away scot free. Other people in the area with a higher pick pocketing skill than you may still notice if the person you where pick pocketing didn't, so getting away with the booty with no one noticing would be rare. Now in any case, if you have succeeded or not, if the player you where pick pocketing notices and challenge you auto accept. This means that another person nearby could alert the victim to your attempt and they would then know to challenge you even if they hadn't noticed in the first place. If they do notice in the first place they auto target you and are prompted whether to dual you or not. At this point you scarper. For the next 2 minutes the AI guards will attack and arrest you on sight IF the pick pocketed player uses a command along the lines of /alert 'yourname'. The option of alerting would also pop up if they decline to dual you. Items could be stolen from any part of a person but obviously stealing something off their back would be much easier than stealing something right out their hands.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:47:18 am by Narure »

.:ZEN:.

• Hydlaa Resident
  • PENGUINS ^_^
    • View Profile
    • My Freeweb
Re: Pick pocketing.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:55:18 pm »
Silverweave daggers are small and light. I played for AGES to get mine. Now I would get really annoyed if some low level noob came along and stole my lifes work wouldn't you?

Dahoma

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 10:02:00 pm »
I think the way you explained it was full of thought, really well done. It's a good idea too, but I'm wondering, would magic have any affect on this? I mean, if, in the future there's a levitation spell, would that be able to be used in this idea?

And wouldn't anybody be mad if anything is stolen?  ;) :)
- Dahoma Sins

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:23:24 am »
Well if I had a light valuble item I would keep it in the most secure container I could find to stop it being stolen. I don't see why magic couldnt be implented into this system and be used to distracat etc.

I guess it would be like being pickpocketed in real life. You might lose your wallet, its an annoyance but no biggy. There will be a way to store items eventualy other than in your invetory so people will put their vauble items there.

I think being able to have things like this as part of the game mechanics is a great idea because for those playing less savoury characters it gives alot more control.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

• Hydlaa Resident
  • PENGUINS ^_^
    • View Profile
    • My Freeweb
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 05:16:42 am »
Well, if you spend all of your money on a sw dagger you wont have another million to spend on a container would you...

even after that it would mean the implimentation of banks...

or we could stop the pvp theiving and have it so that players can only theive NPC's

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:28:23 am »
If a begger gets a massive amount of money another begger will try and steal it. A noble man gets a massive amount of moeny he will buy a safe for it. If you cant afford to look after an item why buy it. Its like buying a huge HD T.V without a house :P Banks are going to be implemented anyway I think, and we will have houses at some point i hear. Theiving npcs would be like mining  :thumbdown:

• Hydlaa Resident
  • PENGUINS ^_^
    • View Profile
    • My Freeweb
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 06:09:37 am »
different npc classes give you different items

and still i'm not a begger I train for many many hours to get them and i would hate for them to go in a matter of seconds and if we do it your way people would never use their good wepons because they would be stolen, nobody will be able to use their best wepons in a duel because they might get stolen... it would ruin the game and saying that just keep it at your house and never use them would be hindering us all, and not letting the character reach its full potential because of possible theft... its stupid..  Its a game its supposed to be fun.. not stressful, they dont want you to hide at home in fear of your possesions getting stolen!

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 06:33:00 am »
Well it seems to me that it is very hard to pickpocket successfuly and get away with it with the system. And if you have your daggers equiped then it will be almost impossible to steal them surely?

Okim

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 09:15:01 pm »
If there is going to be pick-pocketing implemented, then set it up so that equipment items and stuff equipped is impossible (or very very very close to it).  Pick-pocketing should be one of these things that is hard to do because you are frisking someone to take their stuff.  It must be something that is hard to do and most of the time stealing stuff that is border-lining worthless.  Otherwise, stick to violating npcs.

Avadon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 12:30:57 pm »
I think it should be limited to stealing money or external containers.
If you have a small pouch or sack attached to your body then it could be cut off, untied, etc.
I don't think any thief could open your backpack and remove an item without you noticing; however a deft thief could cut the straps off your backpack and make a run for it.  The game would check the thiefs skill and agility and determine if it forces the thief to auto-accept a dual, otherwise the thief gets away and you are given the option to report the thief.

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 02:41:44 pm »
If there is going to be pick-pocketing implemented, then set it up so that equipment items and stuff equipped is impossible (or very very very close to it).  Pick-pocketing should be one of these things that is hard to do because you are frisking someone to take their stuff.  It must be something that is hard to do and most of the time stealing stuff that is border-lining worthless.  Otherwise, stick to violating npcs.
I think it should be limited to stealing money or external containers.
If you have a small pouch or sack attached to your body then it could be cut off, untied, etc.
I don't think any thief could open your backpack and remove an item without you noticing; however a deft thief could cut the straps off your backpack and make a run for it.  The game would check the thiefs skill and agility and determine if it forces the thief to auto-accept a dual, otherwise the thief gets away and you are given the option to report the thief.

Wern't all these things addressed in the origanal post?

Avadon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 03:03:02 pm »
I wouldn't know, this is the only pickpocketing thread I've read.

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sugested solution:Quarantine and/or death sentence
    • View Profile
    • A MUD gladiator game.Press link and level to make me rich.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 03:36:12 pm »
Personaly i dont thing you would be able to take anything out of a bag until you raech a bit above average rank in Pick poketing.
Things left in the inventory should be considered "Losely placed" and be easyer to steal.Thing equiped in your hands should be IMPOSIBLOE to steal.Without cuting the nerves from someones hand without them noticing you wont be able to steal their weapon.
As for magic it could be distraction for the pickpocketer and bindings for the victim.Bindings as in mental.Kindof like a sense that that thing is moving making it a lot harder to be stolen.
That would make it hard to steal valuable objects.Also i think Player houses should be IMPOSIBLE to break inot.Think about it.You spend months gathering that incredible weapons collection and sudenly BAM its gone from your house.
Lockpicking should only work for chest inside that house (that is considering tha player let you in there).I'm geting a bit off topic so ill shut up.
Well basicaly there have to be limits as to what extent you can steal and unlock.
Singned
  -One serious case of nuty.

Xuma Amux

• Traveller
  • I know stuff....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 05:10:01 pm »
Does training pickpocketing defend against pickpocketting?

Raleigh

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 09:35:46 pm »
I didn't overabused the "pickpocket" skill in Neverwinter Nights, for example, because if you were caught, you would be either as good as dead or locked in jail. And "pickpocketing" a sword, for example, is outrighteously absurd. For me all that could be stolen would be very small objects and small quantities of money(This would make carrying trias instead of circles interesting on a certain poin, for example, but uninteresting as well once devs remove the "weightless" money from the game system - implement weight to currecy -). Thus it should be possible to buy pocket protectors, or perhaps even to literally put the proverbial "scorpion"(or whatever venomous small creature exists on PS) on the pocket. This way rogues would have a hard life, and woudn't be able to steal any significant amount from from a single person, preventing in most parts the infamous griefing.

However, until there is a intelligent guards system, I would say no to pickpocket, so for now it definitively shouldn't be a priority now.