Author Topic: Pick pocketing.  (Read 6543 times)

Irgendwer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Pick pocketing.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 08:32:27 am »
Lets elaborate the "lootbag" idea (of course, "lootbag" being just the codename for these things):

* There should be different types of lootbags, giving different types of bonuses.
* Only things stored in lootbags can be taken.
* Quest items may not be stored in these containers.
* Ultimativly, lootbags should be craftable and quality being the factor determining, how hard it is to get into it.
* A lootbag should have a distinct appearance, so nobody puts things accidently in it (suggestion: Like a glyphbag, just red).
* The description of a lootbag must clearly state, that it will give some kind of a bonus, but it is subject to pickpocketing.
* If somebody has a lootbag, his/her playerinfo will display some info about it in the same style, playerstrength is estimated. A higher level in pickpocketing allows for better estimation. A higher purse quality defends against estimation.

Suggestions for bags:
Name: Fancy purse
Description: A purse prominently displayed to show personal wealth and impress other people. The nature of this item however also attracts thieves.
Bonus: Proportionally increase charisma by the amount of wealth contained within

Name: Bag of holding
Description: A magical bag, that somehow makes it's contents weight a little bit less. The enchantment however is powered by the crystal, requiring it to be worn openly, which makes it subject ot pickpocketing.
Bonus: Items in this container weight  25% less (I'd really love to see a masterpickpocket looting this baby for 300kg worth of ulbernaut claws).

Name: Crystal encrusted purse
Description: A purse, that draws energy from the crystal, boosting magic. The nature of this purse requires it to be carried openly, where it is sbject to pickpocketing.
Bonus: Increase crystal way proportional to contained value.

Name: Snapper Sack
Description: A booby trapped sack, often worn by law enforces to bait thieves. The nature of this bag requires it to be worn openly, though it's contents may be stolen.
Bonus: Increases the owners chances to detect pickpocket attempts.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 09:10:52 am »
Hey, that is my idea... ;)

Honestly, though, pickpockets and slitpurses generally target coin, not items. With items, you have to hide the item you took, then convert it to usable coin without getting caught. It is time consuming and dangerous. Most items are not worth it. Jewelry is a gray area. It is risky, but accessible and highly profitable. So things like necklaces or loose bracelets might be fair game. With coin, you already have the end product, which is virtually untraceable. So I would avoid the issue of losing that important quest item/reward or hard earned glyph by not having them available to take. It would not rob much from realism, as the typical pickpocket would not steal these things. Muggers and house thieves, on the other hand, are a different story, as items are easier to take than finding a money stash.

In the end, I would go with the 'lootbag' idea, but in a realistic manner. Most people carry their money in an easy to access area (so they can access it easy, duh). Make it so that only money in that pouch can be used in trades. Extra cash can be stored in your inventory bag (or shoe) with the rest of the items that can not be stolen, but you can not use it until you put it in your money purse.

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
  • "In game i am know as Yotanis"
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 10:31:57 am »
If this ever gets implimented - how about having items (Not cash) marked as "Stolen", this in turn will require the thief to "Fence" the items making them more suceptable to capture.
Only the internet brings people together through ideals alone

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 10:46:56 am »
If this ever gets implimented - how about having items (Not cash) marked as "Stolen", this in turn will require the thief to "Fence" the items making them more suceptable to capture.

Why? If you steal an ordinary in the real world it wouldn't have any "stolen" flag either. Special items are a different matter and may be recognised as stolen.

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2008, 11:22:03 am »
But in the real world you have a police force and a system to be able to register on a national database items that have been stolen, plus you can also "ID" items in many ways.

However i was talking more along the lines of higher valued items, not common items - items that would be of notice to people anyway.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2008, 11:30:42 am »
I think there had already been a proposal for that. The proposal was to allow people to "engrave" certain items with the name of the owner.
Improving crafting a little (and also improve protection against thieves)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:34:10 am by Kaityra »

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 05:28:09 am »
Engraving items - fantastic idea - opens up a whole new craft and potential trade for people as well.

Omni

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 10:49:38 am »
I think you should only be able to pickpocket NPCs.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 11:17:45 am »
@Omni:

1. Why do you have to mark your comment in red? I personally think that this is annoying.
2. This has already been suggested so it is nothing new.
3. Stealing from NPCs without having to face any consequences is just boring and is prone to be abused. If suggesting stealing from NPCs one has to suggest possible consequences, too, IMO.

If you are interested in pick pocketing you may want to check Pickpocketing and Roleplaying which mentions a different approach to pick pocket from players.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 11:39:23 am »
I dunno, his arguments do have some merit.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 12:34:57 pm »
Pick-pocketing actual items or money from a PC inventory is going to get contentious real fast (and probably will not be worked on for quite a while anyway), which I think is Omni's point. A skill that allowed someone to pick pocket a small amount of random money, or mundane items on success (and hopefully cause an NPC to shout for a guard on fail) I personally think would be a better approach.

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 01:50:54 pm »
What happens if during pickpocketing, the pickpocketed has a chance to
not lose anything (pickpocketing failed)
Notice the pickpocketing and ignore it
Notice the pickpocketing and turn around to fight the thief for the stolen items (duel, thief has loot)
Lose the stuff without noticing.