Author Topic: Collision Detection  (Read 2599 times)

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Collision Detection
« on: April 06, 2007, 03:46:21 am »
I got to thinking the other day about how unrealistic duels were, and how despite this they were probably the most entertaining PvP system out of any RPG I've ever played.  Now, to me, the only part that's really all that unrealistic about dueling is the fact that you're able to run through each other.  Think about it, your run up to your opponent, exchange some blows, back off and then attack again; realistic, right?  Also, you run by your opponent, slash as you pass, just as realistic, no?

Now, I figure the main reason there is no collision detection on PC's is that 'bumping' is hard to code, and players would block areas for the sake of it.  The way I see it there are two viable solutions to the problem.

1) Enable collison detection for characters you have targeted.  (I think it was Nilaya that suggested this when I was thinking outloud)

2) Have a /ghost command, which would disable collision detection, but also make it impossible to do anything but walk around.  So while the majority of the time you'd run into people like walls, if a group decided to block off an area you could simply /ghost on, walk through, and then /ghost off to go back to playing.

So, er, discuss and such
Jangeol Bakieck the Scarred
Dameve Angelun the Insane
Ehatihen the Cowardly Kran

Narure

Re: Collision Detection
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 04:03:56 am »
Err well i guess the Devs will just do the bumping thing even if it is a pain in the backside to code. Its the most realistic after all.

Warip

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 08:20:54 am »
The problem with the collision detection is that the mining would be a pain. Because of the ore veins only being in certain places only 1 or 2 people could access it at any one time.

Also getting into areas that people have blocked off, im no master on code but i think that the walls and floors would have the same code for their solidity as that of which players would have. in that case wouldnt you /ghost command make you fall through the floor and be able to walk through floors?
(that was what i think and also another question. please correct that if any of it is incorrect  :oops:)

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 05:15:09 am »
somebody necro'd my thread?  eh, alright then...

The problem with the collision detection is that the mining would be a pain. Because of the ore veins only being in certain places only 1 or 2 people could access it at any one time.
mining areas can be made bigger... and tbh I rarely intersect other players when doing it anyways.

Also getting into areas that people have blocked off, im no master on code but i think that the walls and floors would have the same code for their solidity as that of which players would have. in that case wouldnt you /ghost command make you fall through the floor and be able to walk through floors?
can you walk through players now?  Are you falling through the floor now?

Miaua

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 05:59:43 am »
I would agree, but I fear for the lag and hitting "invisible something" which is supposed to be there and walking trough avatar position anyway.
Devs should consider if its possible and what kind of collision detection (if any) to use.

And that PvP is unrealistic while running trough eachother?  ::| Yay... ehm... well, the whole "running" style is unrealistic anyway so, no great deal here I guess.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 04:08:38 pm »
why does nobody read my posts? :(

Miaua

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 03:49:23 pm »
why does nobody read my posts? :(
I did, and I said my opinion  ::|
Something wrong?  ???

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 02:18:15 pm »
I suppose that, if there really is a problem, that there is always the possibilty of the Collision Detection to only be on while dueling and when hitting a mob.
Confusion is always the most honest response

Raleigh

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 03:10:27 pm »
Collision detection could be useful for all too once guild and character owned private properties become available, it would then be possible to have bouncers and restrict access to certain areas in a roleplay fashion, and the "1337 d00d" could do nothing to bypass it. Of course lockable doors can have the same effect, but I think collision is perhaps easier to code than doors, or perhaps not, as I don't know much on this stuff.

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 01:17:14 pm »
Well, what about if a new command would be put in, similar to the /ghost command that John80sk suggested, one that would allow the character to "squeeze past" players and NPCs. You would possition your character vaguely in front of the other player and type the command that moves you to the otherside of the other player. I can see that being a nightmare to code though.
Confusion is always the most honest response

Erisnas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 10:10:09 am »
Perhaps a group of well known players (from different RP backgrounds) should get together and start defining dueling etiquette.  I could really see this helping.  Ideally you could talk to your duel mate and agree to follow a certain set of pre-arranged rules.  While this would only be on the trust of their word it may prevent some problems.  You may have several types of duels: freelance (like most now), magic, ranged (future), group, etc.  Like I said before, it would just be something where you have to trust your partner would follow.
   Ideally the etiquette would be things like: no running through each other, potions must be agreed on whether or not to be used, whether just melee or magic is allowed, etc.

As for some other collision detection issues.  Would you find it ok to be able to stand on someone else?  RP wise you wouldn't but if you are a gymnast in RP it might be useful.  It might be exploited but that could be worked out.