Author Topic: PvP, Guild Wars and Thieving  (Read 1314 times)

Elra

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
PvP, Guild Wars and Thieving
« on: May 11, 2007, 10:32:23 am »

Currently I took me the time to read much around in the Forum and in this category I found lots of really great ideas.
But they are spread amongst many threads which led me to the idea to write them together, reduce them and adjust them to one another.
Although I actually dont have any knowledge on the real game architecture, I also tried to suggest solutions that I suppose
can be done with an equitable effort. I try to write inclusive but please forgive the one or another him without a her :-X

I hope it is a help and at least worth a little discussion.

I will mainly refer to these threads:
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=27197.0
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=23262.0
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=28254.0
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=28519.0

* Additionally to the current way, Items can be dropped near NPCs called 'Marketplace', there they get flagged as "owned".
      These Marketplace-NPCs could have an Avatar like an escutcheon, carpet, table or something like that.
    * "Owned" items do not vanish after a while and can only be picked up normally by the owner.
    * If the owner moves away from the Marketplace by a certain radius for a certain time, the "owned" flag is disabled and they become normal dropped 
      items again like e.g. stocks in the stockcasting do at the moment.
    * Maybe the owner can assign a "pricevalue" to the dropped items, which can be seen by other players via the market-NPC
    * Other players can buy the owned items via a usual buy dialogue.
    * Players can try to steal an owned open viewable item.
    * The chance of sucessfully stealing the item is based on the players pickpocket skill and is altered by the items pricevalue So it gets a tough
      challenge even for a master thief to steal premium items. One can assume that everybody will have more then one eye on their most valuable items.
    * If the player fails to steal, he becomes attackable by the items owner who gets a message like
      "Player X tried impudently to steal your Y!" . [[When the items owner attacks, his group can do also.]]
    * [[The item owner must be the groupleader.]]
    * The thief can attack the owner and his group only if they attack him. Whilst he has to wait for his success/unsuccessful message the
      occasional message to the owner is dropped immediately which keeps the thief unaware of his failure for a certain period and grants the time
      to launch the attack on her/him. But I'd like to see the fighting system tweaked in a way to leave a thief in this situation a chance to run.
    * The right to attack the thief expires after a while (30 min for example) or when the thief dies.
    * If the Thief gets struck down he doesn't "die" to DR but into a prison where he has to stay for a while according to the worth of the thing he
      tried to steal.
      Of course he "dies" with an appropriate message to the public like
      "Law and order have prevailed as the dangerous criminal got arrested for two days."
    * Once you are in jail you can simply sit it out, pay a bail, or you can try to escape which may extend your penalty. 

* Declining guild wars should be replaced with some rules:
    * Inside guarded settlements should peace be kept, in some PvP areas outside like the Ruins or
         like in the Arena or some back-street places should be open PvP allowed.
    * So Noobs and peaceful players can't be slaughtered, but they would have to care for their live and maybe look out for protection
      if they need or want to go into hostile areas.
    * Inside the guarded settlements should fighting stay allowed if the opponent accepts  but
      under the eyes of the guards on which I hear rumors that they are getting more intelligent nowadays?
    * I'd put it that simple: guards provide save zones. As long as they can't by their abilities they will do by the "no open PvP rule" and once they've   
      learned enought the rule can be replaced with properly placed and patroling guards.
    * To go a step further one could have some open PvP areas scattered a bit everywhere. Every towns usualy have their shady streets and places people   
      don't usualy go unless they have business to do. It's the same with forests and other 'wild' areas.
    * I think this could also be easily extended to stealing and any other 'unpleasant' skills. Someone who is holding some precious items and goes in an
    * open PvP area can only blame himself if he gets robbed or get killed, since there would be no way to get in such places without being warned.
      Similar rules to the ones above can be adapted to this open PvP - stealing.

All this could sweeten up the plot for numerous RPs to take place. The new thieving, plundering and fighting possibilities may induce a dark wave shattering the order of the honest citizens of Yliakum. Trading, traveling and knowlede seeking guilds will encounter significant losses in their business, which may bond them together looking for help. And they won't have to search long to find the saviours from their burden may it be the ones in search for honour and the good of the world or the more currency oriented. Some days a major trade route will become unpassable whilst on another day an honourable strike may reopen the markets for long needed goods to set off a new period of prosperity and culture.

..Well whoever gets here thanks a lot for the patience, i hope i didnt bore you with endless repetition of already said things, but at least I have convinced myself ;)

Avadon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: PvP, Guild Wars and Thieving
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 11:03:05 am »
I'd also recommend that the criminal skills be limited to a % of the total player population.

Anyone can learn the basics, but the criminal masterminds don't want too many thieves on the streets.  Too many thieves would cut into their profits, so they could tell those who train the knowledge of criminal skills to only allow only those recommended by a crime organization (if any exist currently) or to those that have completed a quest.  It would still be limited to a % of the population.

veinslayer

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: PvP, Guild Wars and Thieving
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 01:10:14 pm »
why not allow criminal skills to be trained by specific events and other players? like lets say your character is in a sewer, and th gm's feel that your character'd benefit from criminal activities...hows this for a scenario:
your in the sewers...your ambushed and held hostage (mistaken identity). your character is eventually given a choice: be lawful and escape, fighting your way out. or join the unsavory buggers.