Author Topic: PvP gold mine  (Read 4729 times)

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
PvP gold mine
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:53:28 pm »
What about a gold mine which gives more gold than the others, but is a PvP area? If someone dies there, the whole gold obtained would be dropped.

Miners would run there to make fast money. Additionally robbers might try to rob them, and some guards could get some jobs there by protecting the miners for a fee.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PvP gold mine
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:50:41 pm »
really a good idea if
a) combat was working right
b) the guards would need to have a realistic chance in keeping the bandits away, so miners can mine,  without constant looking behind their back.
c) bandits would risk being punished if recognized. and punishments would reach from fees, through physical labour as a fee and finally, the worst, banning from city/cities.

As you can see there is a lot to do, before this will really make sense :)
But it is fantastic idea.

PS, change your sig size, it is againsy this forum rules, search for them around, i'm sure you find them in some sticky.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:27:01 am »
a) combat was working right
That''s another wishlist topic, I suppose ;)

b) the guards would need to have a realistic chance in keeping the bandits away, so miners can mine,  without constant looking behind their back.
Many weak guards can overwhelm even very strong robbers. If the gold mine was at a dead end (like the tefu valley), only the bottleneck at the entry would need to be guarded.

c) bandits would risk being punished if recognized. and punishments would reach from fees, through physical labour as a fee and finally, the worst, banning from city/cities.
If I were a robber, I would cover my face when approaching the mine and obviously only do it when no or few guards are around  ::)
An idea is, that the law is not applied outside cities, so it's survival of the strongest there. If you don't like this idea, how about this: The punishment for robbing is death sentence, applied directly by the guards themselves since no law and jury is there.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 03:50:14 am »
An idea is, that the law is not applied outside cities, so it's survival of the strongest there.
So you are saying the skills/stats to train when mining are, in order of importance:
- sword
- armor
- strength
- agility
- mining

But if you skip the last, you can just take the ores from other miners! I do not see any advantage in something like this. The only way it would work is if game-enforced law did apply there, and punishment would be much more than a trip to the DR.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:10:19 am »
If I were a robber, I would cover my face when approaching the mine...
see that i used risk word
An idea is, that the law is not applied outside cities...
because it make perfect sense that merchants wont give a damn about their security and except nothing in return from the government for their work into making the life of everyone better.
The punishment for robbing is death sentence...
Sure, because noone founf out people come back from DR yet too often, for such a punishment to make sense.
You won't get away with it so easly haha.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Unnamed_Source

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 06:46:59 am »
Why not make the whole of the areas outside the city walls and not in line of sight of them, PvP zones. Then make the NPC in those zones be the only ones that drop loot, so someone farming a Tefu/bandit spawn area has as much likely a chance to get a dagger in the back as someone swinging a pick. Make the transision tunnels between zones safety sites, so slow connected players won't get nicked by someone camped at the load spot.

PC bandits should start gaining negative faction points towards cities, eventually not being able to enter them or spawn from the DT in them, making for the addition of  new spawn points in the PvP zones for them. PC bandits would have to kill all witnesses in order not to get the negative faction points. So just one witness able to reach a city will give the PC bandit the points and with more witnesses additonal points are added.

Have guild/clans share in the facton points that sole PCs gain, so bandit PCs lower the reputaion of everyone associated with them, as in a guild/clan. So guild/clan interactions have to be estabilshed in order to get stolen loot to market. ie, guild A loots, Guild B sells loot. Till which time peaceful interactions. like trading, can rube off faction points. ie someone witnesses outside of both guilds that guild A and B interact with out violence. But this is getting too complicated.

Basically like RL, there should be punishments and rewards. Since death is not an issue here, something towards the ends of incarseration is best in affect. Now since actually putting PCs in a 9X9 cell for any length of time is a bit extreme for a game, ostrasizing them to the countyside(pvp zones) is the next best alternative. Now being that the City is the bottle neck between the current 4 proposed PvP zones, two on either side, ie CatTown -zone1- zone2- City -zone3-zone4- BD, makes for a bad proposal for those ostrasized, as they will be confined to one side or the other with no possibility of skirting the city.

Something else that needs to be fixed should be the monster tracking, right now PCs can WALK circles around an NPC, casting spells or hitting the creature with with hit/flee tactices, while the NPC just runs to the position the PC was last in 5 sec ago. The NPC should be given quicker reaction times to compensate the players ability to make their PC move so. The NPC direction should change the split second the PC changes his, the NPC should also match the speed of the PC, as most NPC aren't wearing armor or carrying a full inventory, This will make the PvP zones much more dangerous for all and a greater punishment for those ostrasized there. No matter who is does the killing, PC or NPC, those killed should drop their inventory, Humanoid NPCs should pick up dropped loot and run away from the area, those lucky to find that NPC later on will get a bigger reward. Likewise, some of the monster type NPCs should eat some of the types of loot, as if they are the corpse that was left behind, and again high tail it out of the area.

Now these additions to the original posted idea might seem harsh to an extreme but viewed as the intentions to allow PvP/PK zones, the nature of them balances the action of PK, where being ostrasized to those zones befits the socially harmful aspects towards an MMORPG that PK brings. PK should be an option but it should be a dead end road with many perils so as to sway the majority from the act. Much like in RL, Murder = the probability to spend the rest of your life on death row, with the exception of OJ and the few Nazis that made it to Argentina. "Buenos dias Mein fuhrer ... Goodentag herr pepito!"  ...  "If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!"

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 10:51:39 am »
So you are saying the skills/stats to train when mining are, in order of importance:
- sword
- armor
- strength
- agility
- mining

No. The skills for a miner to train are:
- mining
- knowing how to employ someone to protect her/him from being attacked while mining

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 11:10:03 am »
And then god said "Let there be a 'why' rule"
And lo! There was one.

And then god said, for no reason, "Let all who know of the 'why' rule ignore it!"
And lo!  Everybody did.

If all the gold they had mined dropped then it would be full of griefers and the only miners who would go there would be completely leveled out.

You're pretty much making a mini game "miners and bandits".  If a mine dropped more gold the government would have it guarded quite tightly by ulber-eating-for-breakfast guards.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 11:21:54 am »
If a mine dropped more gold the government would have it guarded quite tightly by ulber-eating-for-breakfast guards.

Exactly! And this is where players come in. Do we want to rp everything with an 'imaginary government' all the time? There are people like knights, mercenaries, robbers and so on. So just let them play.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 11:23:31 am by Orgonwukh »

Maju

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 12:54:36 pm »
The punishment for robbing is death sentence

Death sentence, as applied by the Octarchy, means total death, not just a trip to the DR. Your char would be erased.

According to the books of law you can red at Jayose's (and also literature fragments in DR library), those excuted by the Octarchy are sent to the Crystal riding an hypnotized mount and die forever. They don't ever reach the DR.

Said that, I'm for the possibility of allowing robbery and crime... but in very well thought settings. Robbing should be tough... yet not impossible.

In my opinion, death penalty (total death) should only be applied to reincident murderer robbers. Lower penalties should apply for less severe crimes probably. May I suggest a pillory?  ;D

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 02:02:07 pm »
* Izzabella grins evily and heads to the nearest gold mine to rob some unsuspecting miners...

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 02:33:22 pm »

Death sentence, as applied by the Octarchy, means total death, not just a trip to the DR. Your char would be erased.

So very true. However I still don't like it. The fact is if everyone who becomes a murderer is in danger of getting ther character erased how many people will you see who actually try to dedicate a character to evil? Fewer than there are now I can assure you. Still its in the settings so thats how it should be. I do think there should be loop holes, ways of avoiding this fate. That way you don't have to make a new character every week.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 06:57:49 pm »
So very true. However I still don't like it. The fact is if everyone who becomes a murderer is in danger of getting ther character erased how many people will you see who actually try to dedicate a character to evil? Fewer than there are now I can assure you. Still its in the settings so thats how it should be. I do think there should be loop holes, ways of avoiding this fate. That way you don't have to make a new character every week.

Agreed. I suppose, being killed with the uncertainty to maybe awaken in death realm and find your way back, or maybe not, should suffice to scare anyone since the death realm is an eerie place to dwell in.

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 07:25:53 pm »
also take in to account the ones that get away...
your not going to get caught every time,. I mean you  might have to lay low for a while...but still......

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 02:19:39 pm »
why wouldnt people go there to mine gold? if the chance of getting gold is much higher, people will take the risk.

although, we should have something protecting someone who logs out or crashes in the area...