Author Topic: Allow PvP and NPC combat without Challenge  (Read 4028 times)

Tontow

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Allow PvP and NPC combat without Challenge
« on: December 02, 2007, 03:41:02 pm »
[Before you ask, yes I did search the wish list and the sub forum with the word ‘challenge’ and it came up with 9 pages that I don’t feel like looking through all that to see if this has been suggested before.]

Allow PvP and NPC combat without issuing a challenge.

-  You would not be able to deliver the finishing blow unless you issued an accepted challenge first. [PvP only]

-  You would be able to defeat NPCs. [IE: Beat William up for his purse or, for that matter, any NPC just because they don’t understand you.]

-  There could possibly be an option that would toggle Non-challenged combat under options to keep PvP harassment down (Current system).  [Default should be set to allow.]

-  You would receive an ear or a note saying that you beat your opponent that would sell for one tria; also, you would be able to obtain proof that you defeated an NPC for quests or you could defeat an NPC to start a quest.  [If you have ever played Diablo 2, you may remember getting a players ear after you kill them.]

-  Would allow for more non-GM involved good verses evil RP.
Tontow's MapMaker Tool 2.0 : http://hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=33954.0 - Make your own maps by walking around and useing the /pos Command!
Site: http://sites.google.com/site/tontowmerlin/

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
Re: Allow PvP and NPC combat without Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:05:47 pm »
I don't see this working very well. Firstly the cities are supposed to be free of fighting. If this "free fight" idea was implemented could you imagine how many people would just randomly start attacking others just for the fun of draining their health and not even rping to have to run away from the guards? Free pvp in the cities would most likely lead to some bad rps. It could be used in good ways too but if its going to lead to less good than bad then whats the point?

If you only implemented free pvp outside the city it would make a little more sense in the case of one playing a rouge, bandit, or assassin. You'd have the ability to beat up on people without having to "challenge" them. However then people would complain about 2 things. First "why can't I make the final blow if its outside the city?" Afterwards you'll get everyone annoyed because they get continuly killed by people with no rp reason.

Free pvp, regardless of whether you can kill or not, could just lead to lots of bad rps. Now if there was some kind of guarding system or something in the city that actually had people punished for attacking randoms then I could more so see this working. Fighting in a place thats not outside the city or isn't like the arena is illegal regardless of why your doing it so the ability to fight anyone freely without a punishment system isn't something I'd want to see now  :P
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:08:58 pm »
I'd hate people slashing random folks all the time.
Also:
You would've known this has been suggested already if you had read your search. This proposal takes into account the new system where you have to verify you want to deal the finishing blow, but that's it really.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:44:23 pm »
Who would pay money for a silly little note?
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 06:47:24 pm »
I've always believed games should be open pvp, its unrealistic to say you can't walk up to someone and attack them. However, there should be 'problems' from doing so, ie: guards and such. But that would require the guard system to be functional, first.

Though I do agree, having a non-existing force block people from turning their blades on each other is ooc... Heck, you shouldn't have to challenge to attack someone. But this has been brought up enough times that I don't really need to go into detail.

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:40:55 pm »
Now why the heck would you want to kill random people?  ::| Is killing poor mutated rats not good enough for you? Imagine if you were going about your business one day, picking apples to sell to hungry travellers, and suddenly a knight ran you through. Now that would suck, wouldn't it.

Tontow

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:36:02 pm »
Who would pay money for a silly little note?
Well....
Imagine if you were going about your business one day, picking apples to sell to hungry travellers, and suddenly a knight ran you through. Now that would suck, wouldn't it.
I would pay a bounty hunter for a note and a 30 second down time isn't that bad.

I've always believed games should be open pvp, its unrealistic to say you can't walk up to someone and attack them. However, there should be 'problems' from doing so, ie: guards and such. But that would require the guard system to be functional, first.

Though I do agree, having a non-existing force block people from turning their blades on each other is ooc... Heck, you shouldn't have to challenge to attack someone. But this has been brought up enough times that I don't really need to go into detail.
The guards don't inforce the law whatsoever.  People walk by with there swords drawn, they just stand there when a monster wonders into town and right by them at that, they didnt even bother to close the gates during the last eclips.....
Tontow's MapMaker Tool 2.0 : http://hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=33954.0 - Make your own maps by walking around and useing the /pos Command!

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:25:47 pm »
The guards don't inforce the law whatsoever.  People walk by with there swords drawn, they just stand there when a monster wonders into town and right by them at that, they didnt even bother to close the gates during the last eclips.....

:P Can't believe you went there.

The guards can't enforce the law because currently they are limited by game mechanics. The same as how we can't cook because its not implemented yet. Just because something isn't there yet though doesn't mean you shouldn't act like it isn't. Thats why I couldn't play this game with free pvp. There are too many people who are going to say "The guard doesn't do anything" and go about their day. In truth you can't just attack someone in front of a guard, they would arrest you.

People don't rp that the guards are there and act as if they won't notice you if you have your swords drawn, etc. Those who don't rp the guards being there and actually doing their job to protect the city aren't rping correctly. When there is a guarding system then go ahead, kill people randomly, walk with your swords unsheathed in the city, break the law. However with a real system I doubt you'll be saying "the guards don't inforce the law" once they are able to by game mechanics.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 10:36:38 pm »
You would be able to defeat NPCs. [IE: Beat William up for his purse or, for that matter, any NPC just because they don’t understand you.]

You'd never see Harnquist again if that happened.

Tontow

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 11:27:41 pm »
You would be able to defeat NPCs. [IE: Beat William up for his purse or, for that matter, any NPC just because they don’t understand you.]

You'd never see Harnquist again if that happened.

:devil:  He seemed somewhat unrelyable during the last eclips and he sells junk anyway.  I'd very much like to stuff the stuff he sells errrr somewhere.  :whistling:  :P

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 11:30:56 pm »
You'll get your PvP and NPC attacking the day I get my prison that locks up those kinds of people for a few weeks, a system that bars them from walking into a city, and NPCs that will not train them, sell to them, or buy from them.

You know, how 'realistic' folks would deal with moron criminals who would do that kind of crap.

Tontow

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 01:05:03 pm »
Ok, so the main problem seems to be: ‘What is to keep people from going around and killing everyone?’
The same could be said of thieving: ‘What is to keep people from going around and stealing from everyone?  Are you going to ask someone every time you want to steal from them?’

The answer is: If you do nothing but go around killing or stealing from people, then people will kill you on sight or find someone that can.

Garris Shrike

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The Mad Irishman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 01:30:37 pm »
I'm sorry, but the idea is kinda dumb. It would basically be a kill fest for those moron people who would just come on to get their fill of attacking people who have done nothing to deserve it, without warning. There are just some elements that are non-rp that need to stay in place, for sake of gameplay. You can "lock people up" and you can "find someone else to kill them for you" but it justs makes "Insane Criminalzor" characters so much more common, so much more annoying, and just a bug that we don't need to deal with.
Garris Shrike.
A lady's man. That lady's friend's man. That lady's friend's sister's man.
He will be missed.
M. R., also known as Lurch

Rongar Elani

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • "post count +1" ~~Neko Kyouran
    • View Profile
    • Guild forums of 'The Awakened'
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 05:37:31 pm »
In general there is little to say against open PvP, but here I have to agree with the others. Open PvP just requires someone to protect the citizens IC and the players OOC. Since the guards can't do that right now, perhaps the players themselves could act as a guard, until the system itself is fully implemented.

/guard

>Your request to become a guard has been granted.

Now one could stop any trouble-makers by just fighting them down, without having to inflict a /challenge. In the wilderness it'd be open PvP anyways, so if one fears an ambush or just doesn't feel comfortable traveling between cities, he could just group up with a bunch of friends or hire some professional body guards. But well, if it would be that easy to implement, we'd probably have open PvP at least in the wilderness by now.

PS: The punishment for those who get caught fighting in town would need to be much higher than a DP of 30 minutes, in my opinion anyway. So yup, it might be best to let the whole idea sleep until a prison map is available.

A w a k e n!

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 06:28:46 pm »
I like
In general there is little to say against open PvP, but here I have to agree with the others. Open PvP just requires someone to protect the citizens IC and the players OOC. Since the guards can't do that right now, perhaps the players themselves could act as a guard, until the system itself is fully implemented.

/guard

>Your request to become a guard has been granted.

Now one could stop any trouble-makers by just fighting them down, without having to inflict a /challenge. In the wilderness it'd be open PvP anyways, so if one fears an ambush or just doesn't feel comfortable traveling between cities, he could just group up with a bunch of friends or hire some professional body guards. But well, if it would be that easy to implement, we'd probably have open PvP at least in the wilderness by now.

PS: The punishment for those who get caught fighting in town would need to be much higher than a DP of 30 minutes, in my opinion anyway. So yup, it might be best to let the whole idea sleep until a prison map is available.

This /guard idea sounds really good. There would need to be someone that can choose who becomes a guard and for what reason, however, or else it becomes a kill fest. A respectable member might become a guard for 30 seconds to kill someone annoying...

It's a good idea, but it would be too hard to regulate
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!