Author Topic: This is my hood.  (Read 1285 times)

Scarn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
This is my hood.
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:27:25 am »
(hope this is the right section for this)
This and that:
In real life being good is harder than being evil (and less rewarding in materialistic ways). In PS the really evil guilds have a hard time with almost everything so it would fit into their RP (i know this issue has been talked about but bare with me) mining, traveling etc etc.

I wish:

1. SIN CITY
That a section of a city and/or a camp with some tents and stuff that cant be removed and/or a cave/well (with stuff) would be dedicated to the 'evil' chars to hang out. Here the PvP arena rules would apply so if you want you could jump some poor soul trying to get thru the dark alley, explorers of hideout cave or someone collecting berries and stumbling into the bandit camp.

2. HOODS
Or masks or something that make the players name and guild and appearance almost undetectable. (waiting to see if the pool of stealth makes you harder to notice). It's not very realistic for evil chars to wander the city streets in daylight or mine with the rest of the crowd.(as there ain't many ways for an evil char to earn money)

3. HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE
If you are from a certain part or area etc you know the place better than the dude just popping in obviously. My idea would be to put certain bonuses when fighting in these areas to ppl from that region. F.ex. a band of Krans explore a narrow cave which is inhabited by a group of Enkis. Krans are big so they would get a -20 agility (this is just an example. I'm not telling this is what it should be), Enkis on the other hand A. know the cave they live in B. are smaller than krans and get +30 agility and +10 endurance. Also with many races some areas could provide + and - stats/skills like an Ylian in the cave would get -5 agility because of the darkness and rocky terrain but also get +10 str for getting in slight panic and going berserk. (Will would f.ex affect wheter he goes into complete panic or totaly berserk).

If something is unclear, respond and criticise, and I'll try to edit this until it's clear for these are things that I feel are things we need.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:40:42 am by Scarn »
S: I want to be Columbo! K: That is NOT a class...

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
Re: This is my hood.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 02:46:24 am »
I disagree that criminals have an easier life than honest people in reality. Crime doesn't pay in the long term.

As for your points

1) I agree there should be an undeground. Whether it's open PvP, that I'm not going to argue about here.

2) Coming. until it is implemented, use your description well.

3) Home field advantages are player knowlegde and shouldn't be introduced into the game mechanics. You have an advantage in areas you know because you know your way around better. That's a player skill. If I defend my house in real life, I'm not getting +20 strength against any burglar that I encounter :P so basically I don't think this is a feature that is needed in this way.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Scarn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:08:55 am »
1) I agree there should be an undeground. Whether it's open PvP, that I'm not going to argue about here.

There are undergrounds that was not the point. I am talking about an hideout chance for badguys (lockable doors and such). PvP would be on becuse of the realism in mentality in that place (I mean c'mon... a place full of criminals, wackos etc...). F.ex Eggbob McTavern is new in town and takes the wrong turn to a dark alley with 20 shady figures... what happens? He walks by them and nothing happens. In this area with PvP he gets killed. THIS IS MY HOOD, YNNWN! After he trains himself stronger he can confront the ppl there but still he must remember that this is where they live.

3) Home field advantages are player knowlegde and shouldn't be introduced into the game mechanics. You have an advantage in areas you know because you know your way around better. That's a player skill. If I defend my house in real life, I'm not getting +20 strength against any burglar that I encounter Tongue so basically I don't think this is a feature that is needed in this way.

Think about this: Someone invades your home your daughter is sleeping upstairs what happens? Most of the ppl will try to keep their daughter safe at all costs which raises adrenaline which gives strength. Someone attacks your village you know certain things that make you more agile as you don't have to use your perception as much as a fella that sees 20 things that are new to him and that his brain needs to register. Will has a great deal to do with these things even in RL. This setting wouldn't be applied on all places ofcourse and also this would keep many from fighting in cities and/or public places (talking about noobish ppl mostly EDIT: Like me). In real life you don't create yourself and you cant measure your agility with points. This idea was mainly because now, you don't get advantage fighting from higher places etc.
I would say I'm such a patriot that if someone tried to invade my home i'd get pretty berserk. (In real life you can increase your str, perception etc for just a while. Usualy with drawbacks such as feeling weak after or shaking)

Ps. I didn't say CRIME was easier I said being EVIL. I can kick anyone that I meet or steal most stuff but I can't help everyone or retrieve everything. Look at the world... what's happening? Who is getting richer and richer? who is winning...? the good guys?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:27:30 am by Scarn »
S: I want to be Columbo! K: That is NOT a class...

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 06:12:13 am »
What is keeping that 'hood' of yours with open PvP from being overrun by powerful 'good guys' who'll just kick all your behinds and ruin the entire purpose? There is an open PvP room in the arena, I rarely see any PvPers show up there because they'll get sent off to the Death Realm by an entire mob if they start killing people.

I understand what you want but I don't agree that the game mechanics need to provide it. Provide for yourself, roleplay. Most things you want can be created by good roleplay. That way the Devs can worry about more important features.

Now as for terrain influences ... that is something I'm 100% for! But they're not the same as being stronger when you're in your home. Elevated terrain should give advantages to anyone on them, especially ranged fighters. Woods should give disadvantages to ranged and mounted fighters, etc.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:19:59 am »
Firstly home field advantages.
Someone attacks my home.Im gona panic.And edrenaline is only released into the bloodstream after injuries or direct life threatening situations ocur.If you know there is gona be a tower falling on you in the next hour you will panic.When it actualy starts falling adrenaline kicks in.
Field familiarity advantages are purely mental imaging abilities.Thats a player skill that you can train in your spare time.

As for the underground thieves locales.I think if they needed something like that they would go to un unpopulated and undervisited city.Aka Ojaveda.And the Open PvP idea is just not good for the game as it is.Maybe sometime later.When death becomes a price to pay and the death realm is actualy a place to dread or desire....
Right now Open PvP just means griefers in any place and 'good guys' who need to spend all their time fighting off hordes off 'bad guys'(griefers).

And with the system thats in place right now they become kindof obsolete(or not important enough to matter just for that).Anyone who knows them may be able to tell them just from their manerisms.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?