Author Topic: Duelling improvements  (Read 2376 times)

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Duelling improvements
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:11:59 am »
Once I tried out tto turn on the auto-accept option with some guys. We put it into our descriptions (OOCly) to show that we don't avoid fights. We hoped to get involved in more fights by doing this. The experiment failed. The reason is that you can't roleplay with auto-accept on. You have to watch your system messages continuously to avoid being attacked while you are typing.
Therefore, I propose a countdown which starts everytime a challenge begins (not only the auto-accept ones). Like this for example:

Duel with $target starts in 20 seconds...
Duel with $target starts in 19 seconds...
Duel with $target starts in 18 seconds...
Duel with $target starts in 1 second...
Duel begins!

This would give you enough time to prepare. It also will make the phrase 'Jump when you are ready' obsolete.

Also, a list with active duels would be helpful (when you have auto-accept turned on, and you are challenged by more than one player, you lose overview soon). Maybe you could use the group icons to show your current opponents. This would also be helpful in guild wars, if the online players of the enemy guild would automatically appear in the list. And of course it would also be helpful in PvP areas.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Re: Duelling improvements
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:32:05 pm »
I would agree with 10 seconds at most. Also I would like to see the person losing honor faction if they start the attack from behind.

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:30:54 pm »
I agree with UTM on the 10 seconds and the faction thing..and what about if they start a fight in the plaza?

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:21:21 am »
I agree, a count down would be good for roleplay - also with regards to factions - you should lose them if you act against that faction, but on the flip side - gain them if it is within a factions criterium.
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:26:19 am »
How would lag influence the 10 seconds thing? And what about suprise attacks? This makes them practically impossible.

I'm a fan of realism and having many options possible so I don't like the idea of a countdown timer personally. If you don't want to get killed from behind, surround yourself with trusted people and don't offer your back to someone you can't trust. Or just keep auto-accept disabled. :P As for actual duels .. I find it sufficient to start a duel far enough away from eachother so you see when they move and don't accept it before you are ready.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 03:30:10 pm »
This is about dueling. 'Attacks' are another matter entirely, and should be treated completely different than duels. A duel is a fight with honor to settle a dispute (according to the Settings). And attack is not, and is against the law.

saladasalad

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Vivada - Band / Blog / Good People
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 04:42:15 am »
How would lag influence the 10 seconds thing? And what about suprise attacks? This makes them practically impossible.
Good question.

I'm a fan of realism and having many options possible so I don't like the idea of a countdown timer personally. If you don't want to get killed from behind, surround yourself with trusted people and don't offer your back to someone you can't trust. Or just keep auto-accept disabled. :P As for actual duels .. I find it sufficient to start a duel far enough away from eachother so you see when they move and don't accept it before you are ready.

What if it could be enabled by an option (e.g. /duel -t [# of seconds till start] )?

BTW, there is a feature request for this feature here: FS#1569: Duel countdown. So if you wish to see this feature IG and have nothing else to add here, then please sign-up for an account on the bugtracker and vote for it. Lots of votes won't mean that it will definitely be implemented but it will make devs pay more attention to it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 04:44:10 am by saladasalad »
Artisian Hooke  -  Guild Elder in The Organisation.
Alumolo Genare.
Divire Dighur.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Vivada - Band / Blog / Good People

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 12:29:04 pm »
Another aspect: A timer would also prevent harassment like being killed without warning in surprise while not being able to respond RP-wise, as for example described here:
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=33807.msg388582#msg388582

As far as it concerns the PvP zones. If someone weak (or a noob) gets challenged there, he simply could flee. I think it is just fair to leave an escape route open.

EDIT: So is will this implemented or not? A simple 'yes', 'no' or 'maybe' would be nice.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:42:49 am by Orgonwukh »

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 12:48:36 pm »
In response to your edit "maybe". That will be the best you are likely to get, a "maybe" from someone who has no idea ;o)
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 12:59:40 pm »
If you check the Feature request you posted you'd see it hasn't been assigned yet
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 03:03:48 pm »
If you check the Feature request you posted you'd see it hasn't been assigned yet
That is what I did, but does requesting a feature automatically mean that it will be implemented?

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 03:12:47 pm »
If the request stays open, then it means "Maybe".

If it gets assigned, then that is most likely a "Yes".

If it gets closed that is most likely a "No".
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 03:17:56 pm »
If the request stays open, then it means "Maybe".

If it gets assigned, then that is most likely a "Yes".

If it gets closed that is most likely a "No".
Thank you.