Author Topic: Thieving is not only pickpocketing...  (Read 468 times)

Nanaki

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Thieving is not only pickpocketing...
« on: March 21, 2004, 03:22:53 am »
... but it seems to be like that in most mmorpgs.

I have been playing pen&paper rps for years and there are so many possibilities for thieves to make money and have fun, but they are simply lecking in most mmorpgs. Yes, yes, ... I know its not possible to have all of them in a mmorpg, becours they are impossible to programm/handle and so on, but evan single player games have more possibilities for a thief.

I mean, I have nothing against pickpocketing, don\'t get me wrong... but I\'m missing the rp-typical cooperation between a thief and a advanturer-party. (You know, the party is killing the monsters and the thief is opening doors/treasure-chests)

Perhaps this had been already discussded, I wasn\'t able to find a threat about it, ...so, here are my ideas:

1) Treasure-chests
Could be found in most dungeons. The chests would have different \"levels\". The higher the level the bigger the reward, but it would also harder to open the lock.
The chest would be fill random with gold, weapons, potions... what ever.
Once the chest is opend it would be like killing a monster, after some time it would \"spawn\" again, ...again random filled depending on its level.

2) Doors
Could be found in dungeons wich is affected by intelligant monsters. Not at the entrance, but inside. If 5%-10% of a dungeon are blocked by doors it wouln\'t be such a big disadvantage for warriors, but a reason for hiring a thief. (Would lock them self again after a while, like monster respawing)

3) Traps
Spikes on the floor,  poisoned needles, exploding locks... stuff like that. Only found in dungeons of high intelligant monsters, but not very common. Works also like doors/chests/monsters with respawing. But with one diffrence if you fail your try to defuse, there is high chance that you will take damage from the trap. Traps can be every where, on the floor, at doors, in chests.

4) Gambling
If I\'m not completly wrong I saw some sort of skill for that already at the char creation... Falshplay in card games would be a really nice addition, a clever player could live only from the money he win.

I guess there are evan more usages for the thieving skills, but that are the one wich came into my mind first...

Nanaki

Eyes On Me

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
i agree
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 06:42:43 am »
there is more to being a theif than pickpocketing.

theives are renowned for having natural and manipulative charisma, which would reduce shop prices.  also there should be a theif guild from where you can run jobs such as stealing from merchants to equip the guild in lavish luxuries, or stealing jewels to use in a lavish scheme to blackmail a noble.  this is what theives SHOULD do.

i think mmorpgs these days are 90% mmo, and only 10% rpg.

a shame really, i love AD&D, i\'m either a CE mage or theif, lots of fun when there are paladins around *evil grin*
Prima Donna One - Follower of Aliathi (3rd Cleric and Council member)

Most stories have a middle,
Some may have an end,
But stories must have a beginning
For that is from where we all must come. - David Noall

Dalec

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 12:00:41 pm »
Its hard to make an online RPG becuase everyone becomes so caught up about status and how good their equipment is. However, considering how many people are following this game already with a game based on clicking on crystals, hopefully there will be more of a RP community when the game comes closer to release.