Author Topic: Updater  (Read 3203 times)

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
Updater
« on: March 02, 2008, 01:44:50 am »
Just to let everyone know, it's safe to run the updater now and we've already put a few fixes on it.

Make sure you run the updater with write permissions in the dir that it's installed in. For windows users that means running psupdater.exe as admin (so right click the Updater shortcut, click "Run as administrator" if it's there).

These fixes are unrelated to the server being down as of now if people are wondering. They include a few crash fixes and one art fix.

Please report any issues with the updater in this thread.

Thanks.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Updater
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:10:46 am »
Thanks Xordan.  Good work.

Wow, I haven't used updater in forever.  Good to see it back.
And that was the quickest experience I have ever had with it.   :D    :thumbup:
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:26:41 pm »
As I posted here there does not seem to be a gui for the updater. I ran planeshift-updater as the user specified in the installation. should I have run it as root as root installed it? or am I missing something?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:29:34 pm »
As I posted here there does not seem to be a gui for the updater. I ran planeshift-updater as the user specified in the installation. should I have run it as root as root installed it? or am I missing something?

there is no gui so far for the updater

neko kyouran

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:12:58 pm »
gui coming "soon"(tm)

Jonerian

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Jonerian Cruentis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:22:53 pm »
I think a batchscript that just pops up on Windows with a cmd would be enough, actually. On linux this can also be done with $TERM, but linux people tend to be more okay with console applications anyways.

It could also be possible, that there is just a simple message box that tells if there was an succesfull update or not, for people in need of a GUI. Everything else is not really needed. It is an updater, not a game  ::)

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 07:05:37 pm »
A GUI could just be a nice background with room for a textbox to display the updater messages in, and a progress bar. Nothing too fancy, but still nice :)

However, I think the current updater is quite nice and effective, and a GUI for it is not high on my wish-list ;)
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Jonerian

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Jonerian Cruentis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 07:33:53 pm »
There is one thing though that is really annoying about the updater:  It breaks the permissions.

Example:
psclient was set up root:games 754 before
and after psclient was updated it was
root:root 770

So you could only play as root or change it manually. I think this is a bug so i also reported it:
http://www.hydlaa.com/flyspray_upgrade/index.php?do=details&task_id=1162

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 11:12:14 am »
Okay, I'll take a look at that permissions problem. I'll have to store the permissions before updating the file and then restore them afterwards.

Uldics

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 10:39:50 am »
Temporary solution for me was uninstalling and installing non-system wide. As user in his home somewhere. I could not find all files with wrong permissions.

+ I dont care about permissions anymore
-  I am the only user able to play it on that machine

Jonerian

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Jonerian Cruentis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 05:23:53 pm »
Right now I run that automatically after I did run the updater:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
  # set correct group
  chown -R root:games *

# Set correct permissions for files and folders
  find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} +
  find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} +

# Set correct permissions for executables
  chmod 754 {psclient,pssetup,psupdater}.bin ps{client,setup,updater} $0

# Set correct permissions for configs
  # might not be needed anymore
  chmod 664 {psclient,pssetup,vfs}.cfg

It is part of my Arch Linux PKGBUILD and not a general solution since you have to adapt the permissions for your installation manually.
If somebody is interested in the new PKGBUILD, just tell me. For now I will wait until some things are fixed by update before I send my build to the current maintainer (who can send a message to me if he actually is also working on this already)

PS:
It might also be an option to make everything writeable for the group games, so the updater can be run not beeing root, too.

Punishre

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 07:01:41 pm »
Okay. I run the Updater, but it says that it couldn't connect to the first thing, and it tries three mirrors, which don't have the file, according to it. What's going on?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 07:25:38 pm »
Okay. I run the Updater, but it says that it couldn't connect to the first thing, and it tries three mirrors, which don't have the file, according to it. What's going on?

You have the old updater, download the new client off the download page and make sure it is 0.4.00 and not 0.3.020

lethal_khaos

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 02:06:28 pm »
I tried running the updater too. I had to change updaterinfo file to a .xml extension. after that it said that there were no updates.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 02:27:57 pm »
I tried running the updater too. I had to change updaterinfo file to a .xml extension. after that it said that there were no updates.

http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=21401.msg366496#msg366496 either that helps or i have no idea what you are doing.