Author Topic: Clandestine Wars  (Read 2504 times)

Vilthis Trayus

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Lord of the House, House of Trayus
    • View Profile
    • The House of Trayus
Clandestine Wars
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:29:08 am »
Clandestine Wars

"By the year one hundred and five of our Blackflame, the army was a terrible force barely recognizable as Lemur. The whispers came again, and the army seethed up though the Labyrinths to attack the dwarven city known only as the Rooms, and the Dermorian city of Ilith Thalasind, both outside of the safety of Yliakum.
the goals of the event was to drive the elves and dwarves into Yliakum so that the Blackflame could spread more easily amongst the now united races."
– The Cleansing

Trayus Grimoire. Journal Entry, 16th Kravaan, 771 AY

My cloaked form appeared once again under the light of the Azure Crystal in what that seems to be years since I’ve basked beneath the glorious warmth of the soothing rays since my passing into the Death Realm in the Year 771 AY,  on the 15th Day of Kravaan. My immediate surroundings are familiar, I knew I was at a secluded alley somewhere near Guildhall Square, East Hydlaa. My former association with the splinter group, Wayward Kingdom developed my familiarity with the locality. Their secret chapter house within the proximity was among my common haunts.

I paced warily towards the main road, anticipating shocking and vast changes from my extended absence. However, I was surprised (albeit relieved) that Hydlaa had changed little since my departure. This prompted a strong inkling in my mind that I need to satisfy.  I approached a wayfarer on Hydlaa’s road with a burning query in my mind.

My inquiry about the date directed towards a passing Demorian yielded an astonishing answer – The present date on this day is the 16th Day of Kraavaan, the Year 771 AY!

Although my timekeeping has been less than satisfactory during my tenure within the Death Realm, it was somewhat certain that I have spent at least a decade within the dark dominion. My scientific Xacha psyche attempts to postulate logical explanation for the phenomenon. I regret my poor research performed on the portal I utilised. Thus far I’ve drawn few weak conclusions linking to my present condition

1)   My altered arcane constitution of my body from the ‘Pact’ ritual I’ve performed warped key fundamentals on how my body interacts with the passage portals (i.e time mechanics)

2)    The plane I’m presently on may potentially be a parallel of Yliakum

Regardless, it is not difficult to remedy the issue assuming if I ended up at the wrong plane. Death would suffice in taking me back to the Death Realm again to search of a valid point of return. I am however convinced that it would be prudent to remain and perform what I intended since I’m here. My duty as a servant of Dakkru.

As expounded by Dakkru within her Four Revelations, she spoke of a fledging power that has infected the Dark Crystal, it is known to her worshippers that the Dark Crystal is central to the construct of Yliakum, and potentially beyond. Our present understanding reveals that it's one of the sources of our power and knowledge, and it keeps sentient beings in contact with the gods.

Essentially, my mission is simple. To discover the source of the ‘infection’ and formulate the necessary remedy before it cost the mortal world excessively.

Vilthis Trayus

[Hello there, it's my first attempt trying to write some background lore about Vilthis, I hope that it receives well. There would be subsequent installments planned for the future as Vilthis delves into his investigation :)]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:01:59 pm by Vilthis Trayus »

Vilthis Trayus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • The House of Trayus
Re: Clandestine Wars
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:29:24 pm »
Part I - The Nightwatch

"One. This dark crystal's power has grown unstable. Some fledgling power has infected it. I will contain and control it; this will cost the mortal world." - The Four Revelations of Dakkru

The Azure Crystal hung forlorn over Hydlaa as the radiant emanation of the daylight gradually fades into a diffused blue hue when the approaching dusk envelops Yliakum. Cultivated by the gentle accompaniment of seasonal rains of Kravaa, the twilight ambience of the magnificent city conveyed an atmosphere of serenity - laced with a haunting timbre of melancholy as the myriad tears of the this world crashed onto the cheerless flagstones and poignant roofs of the cityscape, each pronouncing a faint note in this grand symphony of Hydlaa.

The lights of every household slowly and gradually dimmed their lamps with each passing hour into the night. Hydlaa shall sleep well tonight. But if one remains awake, the symphony grows ever more complex and ominous as Hydlaa sinks into the darkness, comfortably shrouding the clandestine figures as they emerge beneath the city, shielding Hydlaa’s citizen from the sight of depravity that shall unfold.  Perched atop the roofs scrutinising the activities,  Vilthis leapt down into the fray. A group of cultist surged from their bastion in sewers confronting the intruder that has noticed their activities. The cultists sized up their opposition: before them was a hooded humanoid, their efforts to peer beneath his hood reveals a metallic mask etched with Dakkru motifs, there was little else they could distinguish through the rain, dark and the robes clad upon the intruder.  The tension of the symphony builds to a boiling point, dominated by the sound of grinding weapons and cryptic shrieks

The amalgamation of sounds suddenly quietens as a solo begins fills the section
 The twisted revellers of the sewers formed a circle, surrounding the lone-cloaked figure as he begins to play his passage in prominence. A silent eruption of telekinetic force accompanied the equally silent groans of the revellers marked the entry as drawn falchions quickly performed a proficient section of arpeggio, leaving in it’s wake revellers bleeding in awe of the crisp movement. The applause came early as the clapping slaps of falling bodies surfaced in admiration of the accomplished effect. Unwavered by the demonstration either by sheer bravery, or lack of self preservation the bulk of the party advanced into the fray.

The symphony’s tempo hastens as the rain grew heavier which matched accents of swords that clattered harshly against shields, harmonised more gently by blades severed windpipes. The pitch of whizzing of arrows flying through the consuming darkness of the alley accentuates the dull cracking of shattered bones as a concealed armoured appendage beneath Vithis’ robes plunged through an unsuspecting assailant. The cultist group encountered that was malnourished, poorly equipped and trained was soon dispatched as the remaining cries of pain slowly left with their life, fading like the song of the rain that began cease. Dawn approaches as the light of Azure Crystal above reigned once again over proud city of Hydlaa, obliterating the oppressive darkness that had besieged it. Vilthis, stood over the bodies as he uttered a short prayer to Dakkru as the bodies slowly faded into the Death Realm as the light crept into the alley. The symphony has not quite ended.

A sound prevailed, more terrible hubbub of monstrous snarls and cryptic babblings of these mysterious cultists – it is a disembodied ill-omened whisper.

To be continued
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:53:55 pm by Vilthis Trayus »

Mogweh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:29:45 pm »
Nicely done, Vilthis. Keep it coming, I'm starting to get drawn in..  \\o//
Mogweh has left the building...

Vilthis Trayus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • The House of Trayus
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 04:49:27 am »
Part 2 - The Inquisition

The light casted into the alley revealed what was left of the skirmish – several black glass beads. Inquisitively, Vilthis promptly picked one and held it towards the gentle glow of the Azure Crystal at dawn. It revealed an unfamiliar symbol - One of a black fist shrouded in black flames, seemingly siphoning the very light cast on it on a superficial observation. He promptly slipped one sample into an empty vial lined again his bandolier.

A great sense of dread overwhelmed Vilthis as the lingering sinister whisper grew into a piercing screech of multitude voices, shattering all the remaining beads that lain on the flagstones. The black shards gradually sublimed into a dense black fog, which dissipates in the light of the brightening crystal.

Peculiarly, a small groan emerged from a corner of the alley behind a dark woord barrel as the multitude of voices died down. One cultist still remained, wounded Yilan with a large raw gash across his chest, the deepest section of the cut revealed the extent of the damage -  it exposed a section of the ribs. His appearance unkempt clad with a muddle of improvised armour, embarrassingly most of it appeared to be fashioned from kitchen crockery.

Vilthis approached the Yilan and swung his falchion towards his neck, resting the edge of the blade against his neck.

“Your name, your allegiance, your master, Speak
” said Vilthis

The Yilan stared hollowly back at Vilthis, visibly shaken and probably in a state of shock from the bleeding. Needing answers Vilthis contemplated on taking a prisoner.

“Answers are always in short supply
” Vilthis griped to himself as he reversed the blade, slipping the curved end of the falchion behind the Yilan’s neck and swept him down on the floor as he cast magic sleep on him. Flipping him over, Vilthis emptied a vial of tissue regenerating salve over the Yilan’s injuries stabilising his condition

Hours later

The Yilan man groggily opened his eyes; he feels the aching sore on his wrists and his legs dangling freely beneath him, his confused mind struggle to justify what this sensation meant and struggled to regain his consciousness. Ignorance would be bliss if he had known what is to come.

He screamed in terror as he vision restored. The realisation of being strung up high in what seem to be in a windowless tower brought an oppressive spirit of solitude and despair, one that broke his resolve and begun weeping profusely.

“I see that you’re awake, excellent” Vilthis exclaimed.

“I pray that you’ve rested well? I hope so, this would be a long night.” Said Vilthis as he paced about the spiral platforms in the tower.”

â€œHowever, I would say myself to be quite ‘reasonable’. I do allow my prisoners to decide on the duration and the procedures of the interrogations, directly dependent to the levels of cooperation I receive. So, are you prepared to cooperate?”

A silence broke by the weeping and cryptic chanting of the Yilan was the only reply.

“What is your name?” asked Vilthis patiently

The weeping and chanting persist.
Vilthis raised his cabalist axis and directed a brief, low intensity entropic bolt towards the Yilan who screamed and his chanting grew louder.

“Wrong answer” Vilthis lashes him again with the dark bolts with greater intensity.

The bolts link for a few seconds the Yilan’s soul to the Death Realm, a horrible experience of pain. Those who do not have the strength or will to endure the transition into the Death Realm lie dead in Yliakum until someone has the good sense to drop their bodies into one of the burial wells.

“Imus! My name is Imus Bernol! You Dakkru hound! Thrice cursed be Dakkru! Our master will triumph!” shouted the distressed Yilan who stared fiercely into the masked face of Vilthis.

“We are getting somewhere.” said Vilthis replies in his prim demeanor.

“I must remark conversely that there are essential difference between me and my mistress. Dakkru has no alignments; to her we’re just body counts to sustain her mechanics in this universe. She governs death like clockwork of rules in her Dark Realm, seemingly making Death the only true equality between us. Benevolent don’t you think?” Explained Vilthis tolerantly.

“Her agents however are not as forgiving” Vilthis replied in an unexpected Harsh tone.

Vilthis holds out a vial containing a black glass bead before the Yilan “I know what this is Imus, this symbol surfaced once before in the annals recorded in the year 105 where the refugees of the Dwarven city of Rooms and the Demorian city of Ilith Thalasind recorded this symbol on the banners of the army that invaded their cities.”

The Yilan eyes widens, his deceitful tongue sprouts nervously “It is merely a marble..”

Seething with anger Vilthis approaches the Yilan. Vilthis takes extraordinary offense upon conduct that undermines to his patience. His good natured tolerance ran dry. With great disadain, Vilthis plunged his undead appendage deeply into the Yilans torso lashing his tendrils within his body, scrambling his innards as he telepathically dominated his mind circumventing all his metal resistance in his dying moment to examine his memories deeply.

A horrible epiphany awaits Vilthis

To be Continued
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:59:07 pm by Vilthis Trayus »

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 03:28:36 am »
those pictures are epic

didn't read a bit of your story tho