Author Topic: paranormal/supernatural/ZOMG experiences!  (Read 1340 times)

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: paranormal/supernatural/ZOMG experiences!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 01:59:33 am »
 Geoni, you link isn't much better than saying "this can't happen", since it doesn't cite any studies, and very little logic. I do know one main reason an insect would not want to go into your mouth; your saliva, tears, and sweat are not just moisture. They contain lysozyme, a substance that destroys plasma membranes, and thus can be poisonous to more than microbial life. This is not something any creature not made for it wants to touch. It also is the reason why worms writhe in pain while on your skin (among other small creatures), and why many tourists swimming in the a coral reef can kill it.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 12:04:15 pm »
Geoni, you link isn't much better than saying "this can't happen", since it doesn't cite any studies, and very little logic. I do know one main reason an insect would not want to go into your mouth; your saliva, tears, and sweat are not just moisture. They contain lysozyme, a substance that destroys plasma membranes, and thus can be poisonous to more than microbial life. This is not something any creature not made for it wants to touch. It also is the reason why worms writhe in pain while on your skin (among other small creatures), and why many tourists swimming in the a coral reef can kill it.

lolz  ;D

sigged.

-sig by sarras

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 05:05:12 pm »
i was joking btw

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 05:15:20 am »
On the Internet, it's very hard to tell. Impossible in that case.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 04:44:10 pm »
no one, except a troll, would ever seriously say you swallow 8 spiders per night... everybody knows it's 8 spiders per year.

luls

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 05:13:31 pm »
i don't believe in the paranormal. i've heard a lot of weird things, though, and want explanations.

my father and his friend were driving in the middle of nowhere, in the northeast usa, during morning or evening twilight. this huge dark man-bird suddenly appeared in front of the car, and it might have had wings that were about as wide as the road. it looked up and it had bright, glowing yellow or red eyes. my father's friend didn't have time to react and it rolled over the car and just disappeared. they don't know what it was. lol. could've been mothman!

Sorry, I was taking a stroll :D Didn't mean to scare you.

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 07:57:57 am »
no one, except a troll, would ever seriously say you swallow 8 spiders per night... everybody knows it's 8 spiders per year.

luls
You underestimate the quantity, and overestimate the quality, of idiots out there. I'm fairly sure there are at least fifty people around the internet that believe the first of those. You even believe the second.

Rigwyn

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 01:02:37 pm »

Ok, so I was *house sitting* years ago before I had the gumption to get off my butt and get a real job.  The pay wasn't that great, but then again, I didn't have to do anything. Just occupy the house for a week while the owner was away. The fridge was stocked with food and they had a wacky satellite tv with channels I never heard of. The owner of the house was some kind of lawyer ( He said he didn't do trials, he just did some kind of paper work or something ...I  wasn't too interested )

The house ( house is an understatement ) was filled with all kinds of crappy looking art. Not exactly my thing .. statues carved out of wood ( probably made by some starving Aftrican villagers ), old stuff like farm tools and things with bristles and leather straps that looked like it belonged in a barn, rugs, pictures, sculptures and crap loads of books etc...  But I didn't care, I was more interested in watching the damn tv. One particular statue stuck in my head though - it looked like someone carved with with a sharp rock or a really crappy chisel. It looked like one of those national geographic people but with an enlarged head and a huge nose. The nostrils were big enough to stick your thumbs in them and if you looked inside them you could see that there was was looked like a carved brain inside the hollow head of the statue. Stupid detail.

So I admit I was a little creeped out by some of this stuff .. don't know why .. it was just too artsy for me I guess. I sat down and spent a few hours flipping though the channels, I was too interested in seeing what was on in different countries to focus and watch a single show. I got really tired after several hours and started to get into that really tired state where your head starts to fall back but then jerks back up as you wake up again. I did that a few times and then tried to snap out of the tiredness. I closed my eyes and yawned.  When I opened them there was this hideous looking face with whitish pale, dead skin, and glassy eyes ( like that from a doll) was in my face - staring right back at me. It screamed incredibly loud, and then I jumped and screamed, and then it was gone. I was so freaked out that I puked right there on the spot and felt sick for the rest of the night and the following day ( I did not go back to sleep ).

This was had to be a dream given how tired I was and the fact that I was starting to nod off, but it seemed so real that it was tempted to let myself believe that it could have been real. It took about a week to get that image out of my head and to stop associating that event with every negative thing that happened - for example,  a week later someone was kind enough to leave a disemboweled pig on my lawn. I immediately assumed that it was related .. funny how the mind can really mess with you if you let it -or more accurately we tend to "mess with ourselves" for not so apparent reasons.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 03:18:21 am »

luls
You underestimate the quantity, and overestimate the quality, of idiots out there. I'm fairly sure there are at least fifty people around the internet that believe the first of those. You even believe the second.

of course i do

just liek i believe in vampires invading wales :D

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 06:46:34 am »
just liek i believe in vampires invading wales :D

ZOMG!  :o

-sig by sarras

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 12:28:58 am »
I have always been fascinated with the paranormal. For years I had believed almost anything that I heard. Now I'm a great deal more skeptical on not only this topic, but on all things. If we look at how little we know, it really is shocking. We have never gone to another planet, hell we haven't even gone all the way down in our deepest oceans. Human beings have always jumped to conclusions based on what others say. For instance a couple hundred years ago we where sure that the world was flat. Now who am I to say that "Ghosts exist" or "Aliens have come"? I'm no one! But I would like to bring up the thought that being closed minded is just as bad as believing all you hear.

The greatest minds in our history always thought differently. There will always be questions and never be answers, so I say make your own conclusions, think outside the box. I'm not at all saying that all of our modern ideas aren't real. What I am saying is that sometimes, you know who to believe. Now I have never had any huge life changing experiences with the paranormal; But I've also never had an experience flying an airplane, yet it happens every day! That may be a little far off, and comparing apples and oranges, but hey, there both fruit. We are always discovering new creatures, according to one Yale article 16,969 species of plants and animals, NOT including microbes, have been discovered in 2006.   

So say we discover over 10,000 brand new species a year, over a decade we would have at least 100,000 brand new organisms. Now say that half of these creatures have been reported in the area before, by natives, tourists, or explorers. Thats about 50,000 organisms that have been found, but in these theoretical 10 years undocumented. Now at least to me this is strong number wise to point to the existence of a certain reported hairy bipedal creature (Bigfoot). Now can definitely see the skepticism coming from this "How could something that large go undocumented for so long?" Well to that I bring up Komodo Dragons. Komodo Dragons where thought to be a fake for quite some time, I mean a five foot long lizard that can kill a fully grown human with one bite; Whose gonna believe that? Well now modern zoology does. Now seeing that the worlds biggest lizard has gone on as a myth until 1902, does give credence to the stories of hairy men living deep in the wilderness.

As for ghosts, there is no way to prove them. How do you prove something thats so out of reach with our current understanding of life? You can't bring it in to its reach, but you can move its reach to it. I personally believe that ghosts or spirits exist, and I also believe that if an open, not too open, but open mind set can get us to a point of understanding this phenomenon. I also believe that this state of mind will not come to fruition in my life time. So what evidence do I have until then? First person testimony. Don't go watching the travel channel or sci-fi until some bs documentary comes on. Don't search the internet for so called "true ghost stories" anyone can type up something. What you need to do is ask. I guarantee you, that if you ask around your family you will get an true answer. Any half-wit can lie on the internet, and any half decent actor can lie in front of a camera. Family members don't usually lie to anyone above seven about this stuff, and I can tell you that first person testimony, from some one close to you, is more compelling then anything.

I hope this will not derail the topic but I do believe that this topic should be treated as seriously as any other. Please I'm always open to debate on this topic. Also I would like to bring in to play one of the most common paranormal experiences; Synchronicity. Usually occurring in small bits synchronicity is when two or more separate events seem to work as one, even though there is no logical reason for it. For example humming a song all morning and getting in your car, only to find out that that song was playing on the random station your car radio had been set to last. Or thinking of a friend that you haven't talked to in ages, right before they call your phone. Or even seeing a ghost head and having a dead pig show up in your yard. Thanks for reading
-Zalya 
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

Rigwyn

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 12:30:18 pm »
The thing about the demon face and pig was bs but I put it there for a reason.

Having a scary dream or experience in itself is not paranormal ... Dreams are just dreams.
Finding a dead animal too is not in itself paranormal.

As zayla mentioned, when we put individual things together and assume that they are related because of their close proximity in time, we begin to stray from reality.

What is very interesting about these experiences though it what they say about the person that experienced it.

What would a person be inclined to believe the unbelievable?
What is the motivation or appeal ?
Ultimately, what does a person gain from believing that they had a paranormal experience ?

by questioning the *gain* I am not trying to portray the experience as a waste of time, rather, its worth questioning what the person who has such experiences received.

The brain does not manufacture such illusions for free.

For example, person A might feel *special* or *psychic* if they claim that theit experience was paranormal
Person B might enjoy the feeling of being haunted ( without realizing it )
Person C might enjoy the attention that they gain as a result.

All are valid motivations

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 11:59:59 pm »
 No one read my link...
From here as before.
Quote from: Nivm
In my opinion, the brain is an amazing, wonderful, and horrifically flawed contraption. It evolved to deal with stimuli in a complex way that did not get it killed; this is very broad. There are all kinds of errors and failures they will perpetuate themselves and get worse until the ones involved die because of it.
 People seem to have this standing belief that they always know what is going on in their own mind. In reality, you could know what might be going on a handful of times in your life. There is a saying in psychology that "If our brains were simple enough for us to understand, our brains we be so simple would couldn't understand them." (~ Lyall Watson [!= mind you]) What this all means is that your perceptions are highly fallible, especially in regards to reduced or uncertain stimuli. Ghosts and demons really could be ghosts and demons; machinations of your subconscious that represent things you feel or think in some way. Your feelings about a person who died could come together into synthetic stimuli, your feelings about death in some place can do the same. When you know there is something wrong with you in relation to society, that feeling could manifest as some imp that follows you everywhere.

I think I just used a club instead of a dagger; this post's point is spread around, but it's very solid.
Anyway, the thing from this that I want to be seen is the fact that the mind does not need a reason to make illusions. Or at least no reason the conscious and logical part of your mind would be able to accept or understand; that's kinda why it's unconscious in the first place. Even Terry Pratchet, however many jokes he makes, understands that people live in their illusions. Even those who might think of themselves as "enlightened" or "open eyed" have simply traded one set of illusions for another, or changed what they think of the illusions they have.

Also, playing counterpoint to what I've already written, I wonder a great deal about dreams and whether or not they have properties people would consider supernatural. I myself know something is going on, as I've had too many dreams that have come true, and too many dreams where I met other people, who later admitted to have the same dream. It could be that "ether" thing people have believed in for way too long, or it could be another property of the ridiculous (often unbelievable) complexity of the brain.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 01:01:31 am »
thoughts and dreams considered prophetic are influenced by the brain making patterns of events that have already happened. the events are stringed together by the brain, consciously or subconsciously, so they produce logical scenarios. it's cause and effect. when you know the cause, you can determine the effect. that's where prophetic dreams come from. they usually come from subconscious thoughts, or else you wouldn't consider it supernatural at all because you would have been consciously thinking of what could happen. the subconscious mind is often misunderstood.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 06:53:18 am »
OMG I have an imaginary friend that won't leave me alone. Well, I didn't imagine it up, it 's just a stalker lolz. Mirror neurons are weird. The brain is weird.

-sig by sarras