Author Topic: Tuturial  (Read 2087 times)

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Tuturial
« on: October 14, 2007, 12:45:06 pm »
I logged in as my brother's account to test the death penalty  :devil:, but I started out in this walled off tuturial thing. It was brilliant. It is totally capable of teaching noobs everything, from moving, talking, basic skills, and combat. It could use some work, but it was extremely awesome. Good job!  \\o//
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Tuturial
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 01:02:41 pm »
Due to some bug (fixed later) two of my characters when to tutorial today. I think whoever made it did a really great job. It is funny, shows you how to do several things, and you even get an RP lesson in the end!
 \\o// \\o// \\o//

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 01:20:02 pm »
Thanks. Our department worked really hard on it, and I think the results speak for themselves.

sgtkwol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 02:47:16 pm »
Great idea, but what are the circumstances that you end up there?  I ended up there with an alt that actually did 2 quests.

Malique

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:57:02 am »
I tried playing the tutorial with a fresh alt I made just to see what it was like. Great job, hopefully it'll stop so many nice RP's being interrupted with "how do i kill stuf?" and "where do i get muney?" LOL. Also, it's great that it means n00bs come into the game with at least a starting weapon and such, so they're not totally reliant on other players giving them stuff to start off. Makes it that little bit more bearable trying to start from scratch :).

BUT, I odn't know if I'm just dumb or what but when I got to the part about training fighting, I couldn't get the NPC to understand me to start it. There also didn't seem to be any hints on what to say to him (if it WAS supposed to work but I was saying the wrong things). Maybe this could be cleared up a bit (if it hasn't already).

Velh Krome

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 09:04:57 am »
I gladly second the complimenting!
Its obvious that you guys put a whole lot of work into it, from the area/design of it, over the well figured order of steps to complete the tutorial and as well you solved the question of new players starting off with a basic equipment elegantly.
And finally right as Malique pointed out, this Tutorial most propably will enhance the roleplaying experience of the players "already ingame" decently, as the known repetitive question should vanish.
As for the bugs, that Tutorial-district is an area which includes almost all basic aspects of the main-game. The bugs reported so far, may be annoying for now, yet in such a complex section some issues are just to expect right off from scratch. I have no doubt the guys in charge will bring up all efforts to fix it as fast as they can.

Great job.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 09:29:10 am »
If you had less than 10 hrs logged you got stuck in the tutorial  :innocent:

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 09:52:26 am »
(2nd try :) deleted my previous one, since I was thinking of the wrong NPC. Same solution though :) )
BUT, I odn't know if I'm just dumb or what but when I got to the part about training fighting, I couldn't get the NPC to understand me to start it. There also didn't seem to be any hints on what to say to him (if it WAS supposed to work but I was saying the wrong things). Maybe this could be cleared up a bit (if it hasn't already).
The NPC that tells you to go to him for training, also tells you to give him something. I missed that also last time, cause going through tutorial the 3d time I did not really read what she said. I suggest you look in your log and reread it as well :)

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 10:26:45 am »
I think the tutorial is a very welcome addition.  It gets new players familiar with everything they'll need to get started.  You also get a few tria, some quests and EXP rather than starting with nothing at all.  I've always thought it would be a good idea for new players to start with a few tria, PP, and a weapon and this is a great way to do it.

Kudos.   :thumbup:
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:36:12 am »
i wonder, the tutorial is like a place located somewhere in Yliakum, a small town? Or is it nonexistant place, which disappears from thre world your char lives in, when you complete it?

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Velh Krome

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 11:10:47 am »
as some npcs there talked oocly i assumed its some sort of testing-area, cut off from Yliakum ..

Venae Rell

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Venae is a Ynnwn woman in her late 20's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 11:33:19 am »
From the very first tutorial popup:

This area is not considered part of the PlaneShift world, it is created solely for explaining how to play the game. From a roleplay perspective, your character will have no memory of this place.

Pizzasgood

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 01:52:25 pm »
It was pretty cool, except that I wasn't able to finish it.  When I got to the combat section, I couldn't find the rat he wanted me to kill.  Eventually I gave up and kept jumping off that big ledge until I killed myself, which sent me to the DR, from which I entered the real world.

That makes me wonder, could you also bypass it with /die?  That would be handy, for people who already know everything and don't want to go through that whole tutorial again.  On the other hand, if they were new and the rat managed to kill them, it wouldn't be good for them to miss the rest of the tutorial.

Anyways, once I got into the real world I realized the NPC server was down.  I suppose that's why I couldn't find the rat?

Overall, it did a pretty good job, at least as far as I managed to follow it (didn't get to see the magic part and whatever the last dude does).
Did you get the number on that one-eyed rat?

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 02:05:31 pm »
- The Death Realm is now cursed! Not enabled yet in-game.

Eventually, once the curse is enabled, /die won't be such an attractive way around anything. My guess is that the tutorial will have an option to be bypassed. It's all still work in progress.

Rennaj

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Glad to Help
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 02:38:52 pm »
Orphia Eldri says: Remember that you can die while fighting, but also by falling off high cliffs. In this tutorial area you can die as many times as you want without a penalty to your character, but when you will enter the game, dying will be very painful.
Run your permissions at least once a week. You will be amazed what it can solve.