Author Topic: How did you find planeshift?  (Read 5497 times)

Tyrania

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Fenki
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find planeshift?
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 12:42:03 pm »
I found PS in a score, where listed the top 20 linux games. and in sourceforge, as I looked for free games (I sorted the list by rating and voila there was it ^^)
I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.
Linus Torvalds

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2008, 01:51:32 pm »
I googled "mac-compatible MMORPG's", not expecting to find anything but RuneScape.

Then I ended up here and was like, "Roleplaying focus? I'm SOLD!"

Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile

Timmothy Perriwinkle

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • I see u lookin' at mah Periwinklez.
    • View Profile
    • The Depot that's also a Warehouse
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2008, 02:08:43 pm »
Like so many others, a simple google for a mac-compatible MMORPG that was free. Though I have long since switched to Windows because Mac killed my inner child.

[12:05am] XilliX: I <3 you that much

Amarthame

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2008, 06:19:57 pm »
I'd been looking for an MMORPG to play for quite some time, pretty much Google-searching and giving everything free that I found a try. PlaneShift was the only one that had any focus on RP at all, so it was the only one that really captured my interest.  :)

beau

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2008, 04:34:09 am »
Trawling Gameogre (specifically the Beta MMORPG section) and stumbled upon Planeshift, loved it since. Left it for a while, and recently bought new hardware for the pc, and the first thing i returned to was Planeshift. I love this community!

Adder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2008, 04:40:48 am »
Googled for a list of free games that contained the games I already had been playing.

Gaian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2008, 07:42:18 am »
Google: searching MMORGP... I tried some there, but or I had to pay or they were boring.... So I found out PS!  :)

Holaver

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2008, 09:16:09 am »
I found PS on torrentz.com. I just wanted to download something and PS was first on the list of the games, so I decided to try it... ;D
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2008, 11:04:42 am »
http://ubuntuforums.org/
I clicked on the link:  Ubuntu Gamers Arena - Offsite Link

Unfortunately that link is under construction now, but in there you can search by genre.  I checked out a bunch of games on there, found Planeshift, which they give a nice little description, link the PS website, instructions how to install it on Ubuntu and I think there may have even been a video clip, not positive on that one, though.

I usually go through Gamespy.com when I use Vista.  Easy place to see ratings, search by genre, get reviews and descriptions, download some demos, screenshots, video clips, etc.  I think that it is a good place to get some serious online gamer traffic, too.  Roleplayers may be a toss up, but when PS is ready to increase that player base, could be a good place to be listed for players looking to test out new games with little obligation.

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2008, 11:22:14 am »
I was bored, so I googled free mmorpg, and the second page was the Wikipedia page for Planeshift. I read it, and the thing that got me was how the death realm was handled.
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2008, 12:34:25 pm »
I pretty much just found it on a list of free games, and it was luck that the first time I decided to expand my standards and download my next game instead of getting a browser based one it was planeshift.

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2008, 03:43:23 am »
I was there when Planeshift first appeared, I was 13 or 14. It wasn't too long before that that I was first exposed to computers and the internet. I'm grateful my first real experience with computers was with a Linux machine (SuSE Linux 7.1). Anyway, my brother once showed me MUME, a LOTR MUD, and I was intrigued at the thought of having an entirely different life on the internet, a new person you could inhabit and live as. MUDs were cool and all, but I wanted more, so I started searching for other online games. I came across Planeshift I think before there was anything available to download.

Anyway, I had dial up at the time so downloading stuff wasn't terribly possible, but I tried anyway. It took forever but as soon as planeshift was available I downloaded it. But I just couldn't get it to work. I tried several times after but no luck. I kept my eye on the project and still itched to start playing and then finally in 2006 I was able to buy my very own computer. It was a proud moment for me, I had worked hard during the holidays to get the money together, while all my friends were off celebrating the end of school.

Anyway, not long after that we got broadband (which doesn't mean much here in South Africa  :thumbdown:) and Crystal Blue had just been released. I downloaded it in May of that year and was overjoyed to find that it worked! I entered the game, met Nuthedie (Nilrem) within the first few minutes, and started RPing.

Two years later, here I am, and I don't plan on going anywhere. My sister made me try WoW, but I didn't last long there... a week I think, it sucked. When Peacer moved GoP to Regnum I played that for a while, but again didn't last long. Planeshift will always be my first love.

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2008, 05:17:43 am »
My husband introduced me to it... as a way of saying - here, lose your worries in here...   I have not looked back since - despite a few hiccups with certain odd things.

I have now been playing for over 4 years. 

There are soo many reasons I loved it - the Role play was and still is great for one! 

[p.s. Come back Rilar Lolitra needs you.... hehe]
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2008, 05:19:49 am »
I found it using google. After playing a number of MMORPGs i finally found a fully 3d, free, rping one.