Author Topic: [Guild] Brazen Bards  (Read 1968 times)

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
[Guild] Brazen Bards
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:29:20 pm »
You walk past Kada-Els, walking to Harnquist to sell your wares. Suddenly, a strange sound floats through the door. Peering in, you see a tall Enkidukai sturmming a crude object, made of wood and some kind of thin rope streched accross it. Sound issues from it. You inquire its identity, and the bard relpies. It is a lute. The bar is empty except for a couple on the other side. The bard looks at you, and asks if you would like to hear a song. You agree, and drop a few trias into a sack next to him.

There once was a guild of hired swords,
all criminals, warriors, peasants, and lords.
They protected the gold fields, worked with the gaurd,
ate, drank, gambled, lived life too hard.
The Mercenaries grew, and there were good times,
but if they had lasted, I could speak no rhymes,
for the leaders got sick, poisoned by a cult,
became obessed to stop them, their only fault.
Many left, wise Malanka, strong Cigiley, brave Kutoe,
and this old jester took the only job he could ever know.
So, please, listen, drink, be merry, have your fun,
parties, marriage, every occasion, all weather and sun.
Us bards are ready, just track us down.
Just come into a bar, we'll reverse that frown.

[Well, I've finally gotten around to making this guild. With the help of Tuxide and Jaycol, I got it going. I figured I would rather post here than running to Harn's shouting 'OMG new guild join or you are a n00b!!!!11!' Everything below is mostly OOC.]

Purpose:
We're a smallish guild, just out to add some depth. I figured there weren't enough Occupation Guilds, and I wanted to see one about Bards. Most of the 'Members' are probably going to be Alts, since this is still a younger guild, and not everyone wants to throw their main character into a new career path. But do spare some alts if you want. We do minor guild rp's and maybe later, some player events. A newsletter may start up.

But the main reason for starting this guild is to keep boring grinds more exciting. It's more fun to hear a story or song or read poetry whiling mining than to just mash the /mine platinum hotkey all day.

Rules
Try to stay in-character all the time. Don't misbehave to other players. Follow the game's rules 

Newbie Policy
We won't get many newbies, as they usually want to smash and crush and kill and use magic. But if they need help, we'll aid them. Or try to.

Ranks
New Hiree: You are new to the guild. Generally, if you know how to play well, you will be promoted. Generally, I'll also test your integrity. Not everyone is decent, unfortunately, and I'll weed out those that just aren't cut out for this job. Being able to kill a trepor is reason to move on.

Apprentice: Now you get training on becoming a Bard. I'll give lessons, as high higher members.

Now you choose a profession. You can also change if you get tired of your position.

Skald: This a more warrior oriented Bard. I'll assume most people will join this one. Skalds will generally be more common in the arena, telling jokes and tales about the monsters they kill

Tale Tattler: Hang out and tell stories.  Another common one, although it requires more dedication to write interesting stories

Jester: Shorter stories and jokes. If you're funny, you'll get this slot.

Minstrel: Songs and poetry, more often. More likely the tavern than mining, but destination isn't terribly important!

Newspaper Official: Currently non-existant, as there is no newspaper. But eventually this will be more important

Public Relations Officer: Teacher to apprentices, second to the Leader, and in charge when the leader is absent!

Master Bard: Thats me!

In conclusion:
I'll accept you if you're willing. There aren't many set goals yet, and I'm just building up a reputation telling stories while mining. With more people comes more responsibility, so this board may yet see change. No, we don't constantly plot against other guilds, we make grinding less of a grind, and more of a pleasant tickling sensation. If you're interested, please contact me. If not, then I hope we brighten your day sometime!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:30:04 am by SerqFeht »
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Re: [Guild] Bards of Yliakum
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 12:39:39 pm »
Okay, a few quick observations,

I'd say being able to kill a trepor, or proving that you are a noncombatant that knows the world well is grounds for the promotion.
What? A person can be a completely repulsive dunce and still be promoted because he can swing a sword at some beast. Makes no sense to me at all.

As for the ranks in general, they are too linear and put one job above the other. What if you have an amazing singer, truly gifted, but she can't draw for crap. She won't advance as far as the average artist that can't sing for crap.

edit: Don't be discouraged. I like the idea and want to see it succeed. Sangwa tried something similiar a while back I think. He might hepl a bit too.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:41:10 pm »
Ok, I'll rework the ranks when I get a chance. And people will buy anything nowadays. Want to buy a rare apple picked in the outher Eagle Bronze doors?
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:38:18 pm »
One little comment ... please, please try to avoid 'of Yliakum' in your guild's name. Narrow it down, you can't claim to be the only Bard guild or even the most important one (unless it turns out that way) but that seems what you're doing with the name. Show some more creativity, especially for bards :P
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 01:52:10 pm »
Ok. There isn't a whole lot I can do with the name. I'm going to guess there aren't going to be 50 other rival guilds, but I understand your concern. Playing with a dictionary searching for alliterations, I found 'Brazen Bards.' It means shameless, which is an important talent. I'll change everything around, then.

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: [Guild] Brazen Bards
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:31:04 am »
I reworked the guild and its goals. Maybe it will make sense now. Anyways, I look forward to hearing from you! :thumbup:

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 11:39:49 am »
Yes! I've been waiting for something like this for a while.

Bremen

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:06:52 pm »
There was a guild like this around a long time ago, the Ovates guild. It eventually faded. Don't let that happen to yours, it's a good sounding guild.

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 04:56:27 am »
Does this guild exist now?

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 10:46:25 am »
 ;) It does. I play at least every other day for at least an hour, although at unusal times. I've been setting up booths at the plaza, which has attracted some attention as well. If you are willing to join, contact Serq in game, and we'll work it out. I'm afraid we don't have a swarming guild population, but I plan out little events and gigs, so there's often something to do.

Oh, and ask about my books. I have a lot for sale now!  :P I have no books and everyone wants them, now I have them and nobody asks...

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 06:44:17 pm »
About what times might you be found on?