Author Topic: Book Memory  (Read 1461 times)

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Book Memory
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:12:28 am »
I conducted a search but found nothing similar.

My Wish is for enhanced book Memory. I love the fact that you can copy and paste books. You can make an instruction manual, or rule books, or even tickets for a guild event. But, there is a limit on the length of book you can enter... 3000 characters is the maximum. Assuming there is an average of 6 letters per word, that's 500 words, or 1 page on microsoft word. For writing a real story, a real newspaper, a real biography, you're going to have more length than that. 3000 characters is the introduction of more lengthy stories, and if a lot of people like your story, and are actually willing to pay a lot for books (which promotes more people to write books, creating a more player-created environment), you are going to find out that you can't replicate your books if they are too long. It's possible to break down the books into serials, but isn't that making things way more complicated? Now everyone needs to buy 5 books for your one story, and you need to carry a load of books around in case someone wants one story!

What about newspapers? I could write one in-depth article about the Gurgontid Blockade that everyone is talking about, but wait, that article hit the 3000 limit! What about the rest of the paper?

My proposal is that these books are saved to the computer that creates them, and then the client only deals with the memory load caused by additional books. Or is it already like that? Why is the limit established then? I've seen character descriptions way longer than any book. And those are life stories, not what you would know by glancing at them! A limit could be placed on outer appearence and description, and all those biographies can be placed into greater memory capacity books!

But right now, to document a detailed RP, to tell a story, to add depth to the world, that can be done, it just can't be distributed, shared with many people, sold, or read. Oh sure, I could keep one long copy and pass it around then demand it back. Cila did that with the old Yliakum Herald in September. Spending time waiting for someone to finish so someone else could read it, he spent hours and made only 1000 trias as compensation, yet everyone wanted to buy one. (In the end someone stole the copy, anyways.)

So please, could some memory be added to book length? Or am I just ignorant? Is there a way to increase it?

Thanks for reading!
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Memory
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:09:22 pm »
* Under the moon grins at the thought of trying to put Chain of Souls ingame.

The 'intro' is almost 3000 words itself (14,000 characters). The entire first story would take... 80 books! o.O
* Under the moon runs away laughing.

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 03:56:26 pm »
I think this is a DB issue, personally...most likely that the length of TEXT fields under MySQL is limited somehow.  Either that, or somebody added the 3000 char limit on purpose.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:10:03 pm »
I disagree that it's a DB issue, I believe the 3000 char limit was to alleviate DDoS.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 05:08:14 pm »
I think this is a DB issue, personally...most likely that the length of TEXT fields under MySQL is limited somehow.  Either that, or somebody added the 3000 char limit on purpose.

http://www.hydlaa.com/flyspray_upgrade/index.php?do=details&task_id=193#comment6042
The book text limit is still just-less than 64KB for two reasons: 1) the packet max length between server & client is 64KB (text + title + few other bytes of packet data); 2) the text-type field in the database where its stored is 64KB max, which is made up of the book text itself and the XML framing. So for now, the book size limit is the lesser of these two restrictions.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 06:06:49 pm by Caarrie »

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 01:56:40 pm »
Perhaps a special table containing only books could be employed with the book, itself, contained in a variable type BLOB. To my understanding, at present, BLOB fields can have a maximum size of 65535 characters.

-Nova

[ Edit: Further thought is that smaller fields could be employed in the schema to accomidate "Title", "Cover", "Binding Type", etc...]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:06:06 pm by novacadian »

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:29:48 pm »
it isn't a db issue - it's a plain limit put on regular users.
e.g. you cannot copy all books in the library straight to your own as some of them are too long.
however imo the limit is reasonable tbh

Trikitiger

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Teriki Tora's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 06:03:41 pm »
I can only imagine how much chaos there would be if you could have 100,000+ Words on a book. O.o  Take my book for example (I loves it... Actually *grabs it from downstairs*) It has about 105,000, with about 650,000 characters. That, alone, is a good 750KB. Having an MMO store that, and then having to send that 750KB to every person that decides to read it? Chaos man... Chaos... (Of course, Kurora likes Chaos X3 Because it relates to war lol)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:05:41 pm by Trikitiger »

I'm Kurora on the IC server. Don't get upset about her attitude, that's just how she is. I'm not really like that X3

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:24:51 am »
it's a packet limit ps can handle only packets up to 64kb and i doubt writing more than that is so enjoyable in game

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 06:04:47 pm »
it's a packet limit ps can handle only packets up to 64kb and i doubt writing more than that is so enjoyable in game
1) we have a load button for a reason weltall

2) *nudges flappy-flap to work on packet fragmentation/reassembly in the netcode*  -- that is needed for a few other things too ;)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 06:27:09 pm »
So what is it? Can you load books bigger than 64k? Or is that the current limit?

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 11:50:53 pm »
1) we have a load button for a reason weltall

2) *nudges flappy-flap to work on packet fragmentation/reassembly in the netcode*  -- that is needed for a few other things too ;)

there isn't a save button at least for others a 100k lines document is not really so enjoyable to read :P

Trikitiger

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Teriki Tora's Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:55 am »
there isn't a save button at least for others a 100k lines document is not really so enjoyable to read :P

I can disprove that theory with a short story I did! X3 It's only 53 KB, it's short, but it's very enjoyable despite its filesize ^^ Of course, it's not perfect (didn't intend it to be), and it has modern items in it (cars, movies, etc. which means it can't be in game), but again, it's enjoyable X3

I'm Kurora on the IC server. Don't get upset about her attitude, that's just how she is. I'm not really like that X3

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 08:35:19 am »
I remember such an issue trying to bring Arka's Stories in game ... You may need to split books into "volumes" like it was done for "Selected Beasts...".

A database limit is probably one technical reason. But readability is another. Especially when people avoid chapters for no serious reason... ;)
__

When I read your topic line first, I imagined a different topic: Being able to remember the different cooking and baking books with a certain level of Intelligence or skill, not requiring to permanently switch the books in the "Mind" between each step of cooking or baking. The same will possibly apply to crafting weapons and armor...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty