Author Topic: Maces  (Read 871 times)

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Maces
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:25:16 pm »
What would be an advantage to using maces?

-Takes more stamina to swing them
-Do less damage than "piercing" weapons
-(Can't be crafted)
-(Can't be looted)

Those are the cons I can come up with. Where are the pros?

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Maces
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:35:19 pm »
Does more damage to armour/ Kran physiology I believe is one, the Blunt force of the weapon does damage in a different way than does a piercing weapon.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:37:57 pm »
I'd consider that more of a Kran weakness than a mace pro, since claymores have blunt damage too. :P

Prolix

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:22:56 pm »
Claymores are pretty slow and realistically short people should not use them.

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:32:54 pm »
Maces are effective, as has been said, against armor, more so against light and medium than heavy, though it will still fare better against heavy armor than blades and projectiles will. Skeletal opponents are also vulnerable, if they are on the roadmap. They require less agility to use effectively, as well as less training though damage should be heavily influenced by strength. Maces do not need as much upkeep as bladed weapons, as there is no edge to keep sharp.

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:09:15 pm »
I haven't yet seen maces in game.

But Bragan, a morning star type mace would have sharp parts.

I agree that training should be cheaper and faster. It takes a lot of work to get amazing with a sword in real life. But anyone can swing around a hunk of metal. Of course it would still take a load of time and money to get up high, but it shouldn't cost as much as bladed weapons.

I think that light armor would be more weak against bladed weapons than blunt ones. But heavy armor should be weak against maces and the like.
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Hrothbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:42:32 pm »
When it would come to the light armour it's not the armour that would be weak but the fleshy substance underneath, I have hit my thumb with a little hammer and that hurt alot even through a leather glove, imagine being hit with a very large hammer on the end of a long stick, the armour would stay intact but the flesh underneath would be jelly.

citizen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:17:25 am »
I'd consider that more of a Kran weakness than a mace pro, since claymores have blunt damage too. :P

As from the game we can know, a Kran killed an ulber with a battla hammer which is the same category as maces. So not only Kran weakness maybe :)

Camazotz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:18:14 am »
good for killing clackers?
It's a well known fact that black cloaks are warmer than anything else.

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:51:31 am »
Hint: HA.  A mace, hammer, flail, or staff is devastating against hard plate armor as all the armor can do is spread the force of the blow, and it is limited in its capacity in doing that.  (ever heard of backfacing?)  On the other hand, with blades, the sharp edge is stopped cold and becomes a rather weak blunt-trauma attack instead of a powerful slash or thrust.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 09:54:00 am »
It's all well and good that we have this discussions, but are any of these points implemented/going to be implemented?

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:09 am »
Pros:

Maces are cheap ... at least the simple variants.

Maces are bountiful. Read: you can still buy all variants from NPCs, unlike most other weapons.

Fighting with maces is easy to learn. Most of them don't have a sharp edge or piercing direction so you don't have to worry much about how to hold it. I believe this is reflected in-game or is at least in the skill description.

Maces do more damage against Kran and heavy armor, like many others have said.

Maces just have that barbaric look going for them. Yes this is a roleplayer advantage! :P

As for the discussion of weapons vs armor. In my humble opinion it should be something like this:

- slashing weapons most effective against light armor
- piercing weapons most effective against medium armor
- blunt weapons most effective against heavy armor

As far as I know there is no piercing variable on any weapon yet, though we do have piercing weapons like daggers, sabres and longswords. Also I think that axes should to become a combination of blunt and slashing, just like the claymore. The warhammer and spiked mace variants should be a combo between piercing and blunt.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Eathon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 05:29:31 am »
So they are good for killing clackers?

Pelinal

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 08:49:08 am »
Pros:

Maces are cheap ... at least the simple variants.

Maces are bountiful. Read: you can still buy all variants from NPCs, unlike most other weapons.

Fighting with maces is easy to learn. Most of them don't have a sharp edge or piercing direction so you don't have to worry much about how to hold it. I believe this is reflected in-game or is at least in the skill description.

Maces do more damage against Kran and heavy armor, like many others have said.

Maces just have that barbaric look going for them. Yes this is a roleplayer advantage! :P

As for the discussion of weapons vs armor. In my humble opinion it should be something like this:

- slashing weapons most effective against light armor
- piercing weapons most effective against medium armor
- blunt weapons most effective against heavy armor

As far as I know there is no piercing variable on any weapon yet, though we do have piercing weapons like daggers, sabres and longswords. Also I think that axes should to become a combination of blunt and slashing, just like the claymore. The warhammer and spiked mace variants should be a combo between piercing and blunt.

Very well said!  \\o// \\o// \\o//