Author Topic: On Preventing Repeats  (Read 754 times)

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
On Preventing Repeats
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:18:39 am »
On the recent rash of "let's be nice on the forums" threads, I've made an observation. Many of the offending mosts are done to people who utterly failed to do a search. Perhaps, by lessening the load of 'mobs imperv' threads, a lot of the 'people are nasty' problems will be gone. So, this is my suggestion:

There is a system that prevents people from PMing until they make 10 non-spam posts. Well, what if, following this vein, every time someone with under 10 posts tries to write something, the page redirects. It redirects to a page that asks if the person making the post used the search engine for posts on the same topic, and maybe contains a link to the advanced search page. Then, the poster has to enter their password, at which point the post is posted. It won't eliminate all of them, but it will reduce a fair amount of repeats.
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
Re: On Preventing Repeats
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:00:11 am »
I just see people getting more frustrated and annoyed than already are. The problem is not many people enjoy reading large forum posts. By forcing it down their throats I imagine they won't be very happy at all, and will more than likely complain about that too.

After all, we don't want to frighten the new comers away :). By doing this we'll be sending out the message "We don't like you because you're uninformed, here these through these masses of forum posts first before saying anything." Not good :)

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:27:55 pm »
Maybe just have a reminder to search, with a link to it, on the make new post form?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:58:56 pm »
that would require acraig to modify part of the forum and ps does not support the forum software so that is very unlikely to happen. Acraig is also very busy and lacks time to do such work.

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:21:30 am »
o. ok. in that case....I'm out of ideas...