Author Topic: Reunion  (Read 3449 times)

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Reunion
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:41:15 am »
While looking at the thread called R.I.P. - A thread for all the characters and people we miss in PlaneShift; I had a thought though I need help with it. I thought a Reunion of all our friends that we miss might be fun. Though it has to be exciting enough to make them want to come back. I need ideas of events that will make this fun and hopefully last an entire weekend so all time zones can participate. First I would like to see if anyone would be interested in doing this with me. Then I need ideas of how to make this event work. I thought I could send out emails to those who have left inviting them to this event, but I need to know how to get these email addresses. Can someone help me create an invitation for this email? So basically I am trying to make a great big party to invite all your old friends to. Let me know if you think this is something you wish to do and ideas of how to make it happen. If I do not get a tremendous response then I gather most of you are not interested. My fingers are crossed that many people will like this idea and will work hard to make this player event happen.

Thank you,

Mathy.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Gaian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Reunion
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:27:43 am »
I'm happy to see this  :)

nedoko

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:31:33 am »
I could try and plan something.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:33:39 am »
I'll see what I can do about an invitation.  :thumbup:

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:10:35 pm »
You can get some of the names via these forums and I would suggest that method.

As for events, I suggest you contact Yill/Proglin and get him to plan a tournament or other such fair/fare.

I will ask that some settings devs get on to support the event with weather and perhaps other surprises.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:30:02 pm »
Xillix, your help would be greatly appreciated. Any other suggestions?
Illysia I would love to see the invitation you make. You are such a great talent!!

If I get more people to answer my thread and I know there is interest in this event I will proceed. Come on people help me.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:35:37 pm by Mathy Stockington »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 12:08:38 am »
steuben has an event that he wanted to run with a fair where the winch was opened for a day, this might be a good occasion.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 06:21:05 am »
I made two threads that I had hoped to incorporate in this event http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=33153.0 and http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=33278.0

I was hoping to have a role play event where people could talk about the good old days, their favorite moments or favorite place they liked to be in game. What do you think?

If you cannot come up with an idea for this event would you be interested in attending it? That is very important also. Let me know if you would be there if RL allows.

We have a whole weekend to fill up, come on people I need to know if you are interested in doing this. steuben let me know what your idea is so we can use it too.

Proglin can you come back to help me? Zorbels you always have great ideas.

Thank you one and all for your help.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:56:28 am by Mathy Stockington »

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:45:13 am »
It would be nice to have this "Green Name Day" but I would suggest that you keep it IC. If you want to catch up with what everyone's been doing OOCly you can do it on IRC or even here. A festival of some sort or fair may attract those who aren't playing but you should also keep in mind that some players can't be reached.

In any case, if each player who wants to see their buddy list go all green for one day tries to contact all those names now permanently red via PMs, emails or whatever means they have to do so, you might get more guests than with an open call. Of course, you should probably have the event a bit more thought out.

Hope that helps.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 10:11:51 am »
I would suggest holding it in Oja but if the winch area would be open then Hydlaa would be better. Maybe they would come back if they had something to work for. ;)  Events that could held should be centered around newly implemented features  to show people what they are missing.

Provided I had proper storage. I could cook up a lot of food.

People could sell some of the newer weapon types, as in maces, staves, and hammers.

Some could sell maps to the newer areas like Gugrontid, the derghir outpost, and so on.

Some guilds may open up their Guild house for recruitment events.

Book readings could be held.

Non lethal arena duels could be held

Maybe a Miss Hydlaa Contest could be held. Nothrir's might have a bit of an edge with the new model.  ;D

Story telling of the latest happenings such as the crystal eclipse, the riverlings, the Tloke, etc

The House of Games could probably host a games if you ask nicely.  :)

Ask Serq Feht if he would plan another singles event for during that time.  ;D

If Alchemy is fully implemented by then, have people selling potions. No snake oil now.  :D

Maybe representatives for the new religions could try and convince the returning players to convert.

Hold tours of the newer areas.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.  :sweatdrop:

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:26:04 am »
Ask Serq Feht if he would plan another singles event for during that time.  ;D

:P

I think the winch being opened for a day would be a good idea. I've never been there. How's the lag?

The idea of a market selling some of the new products is good. I could sell some books, now that they're workable.

I think it's a good idea. Don't take this the wrong way. But I'm really not expecting a large turnout from your target audience. You'll still have a great festival, but few, if any lost oldbies may appear. But I hope there's good turnout. :thumbup:
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 10:33:34 am »
I think it's a good idea. Don't take this the wrong way. But I'm really not expecting a large turnout from your target audience. You'll still have a great festival, but few, if any lost oldbies may appear. But I hope there's good turnout. :thumbup:

Actually, a lot of oldbies are popping up sporadically. Some have even started playing again on their own.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:26:58 pm by Illysia »

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 11:00:44 am »
Dajoji is correct. I need to get a mailing list started. So please PM me with as many email addresses of people you know that no longer play. Illysia would you like to be my assistant in this event? You have great ideas. If we get enough events put together and we get enough responses then we can start to think of a date to do this.

I have high hopes that this will work. I do hope that the older players come back for this Reunion and maybe decide to stay. In any case this will be a great fun weekend if we can pull it off.

Btw, is it possible to have a book for everyone to sign? This way we can see who came. I would just love to make everyone welcome to our Reunion. Yes this is OUR Reunion. Help us make it a great event!!

One more thing, if anyone uses #planeshift on IRC please copy this link there. There are many who do not play but still stay in contact with old friends there. Encourage them to come!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:05:51 am by Mathy Stockington »

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:08:39 am »
I think it would be better to come up with a guest list and assign the names to those who know them well in-game. I'm not sure giving away contact information will be well taken by those who are not here. Better to leave it to those they know. You can create your mailing list based on who shows up and is willing to give you their email then.

But before you send out invitations make sure you got a concept for the event and a few activities. That'll give you a hook for your event promotion.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 12:42:30 pm »
I have to agree with Dajoji. I would not take it kindly if PS staff gave out my contact info. I would much prefer it if someone I knew and trusted enough to give my personal info to contacted me instead.

I would probably recommend starting a thread here as a "sign-in book" of people who attend the event or are willing/able to come play.