Author Topic: Do you think players in tutorial should be separate from those in Yliakum?  (Read 826 times)

pteeboon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Do you think it is right that players going through the tutorial can use "/who" to find players in Yliakum and then "/tell" them?

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
I thought the tutorial is only for new players. Therefore:

1) If you are a new player, why would you be sending tells to anyone?

2) If you are a new player, why would you be using /who to find players?
I would think if you are new you would not know anyone in game.

(If someone is having trouble with the tutorial they can use help, right?)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:24:02 am by Mathy Stockington »
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
I don't see the advantage of seperating them.
In contrary, there are cases when /tells to and from people in tutorial are helpful.

So I'd vote for not seperate them (and putting that effort into some bugfixing ;) )

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Anumesa

I have gotten random /tells from players in the tutorial who want to know how to get out (when there were no advisors on).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:42:09 am by Anumesa »

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
Moved to General Discussion

If someone asks for help I dont see any reason why that help shouldnt be given.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
All the tutorial is, is another map, if you restrict what can be done in one map then people will ask why can i do xxx in yyy map. We dont want to limit people from /telling others when in a guild hall for example as it is a seperate map from the rest of the maps most players are on. We are all players and unless we do something that should keep us from having a right ingame, then we should have that right. Right now only gms and devs can limit the rights of players with commands like /mute /kick and /ban .

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
I don't think there should be any separation, and it would be a lot of effort to do so, I am sure. If someone is inviting a friend or relative to experience the game, it could be crucial to them.

Edig

I don't think there should be any separation, and it would be a lot of effort to do so, I am sure. If someone is inviting a friend or relative to experience the game, it could be crucial to them.

And that's the best point of all.  I was brought into PS by a dear friend of mine [Edig looks at the way back machine] and I was unable to ask him questions at the time I first entered the game.

I do like that I was forced to learn it on my own so I had a sense of accomplishment, but it would have been nice to have an old friend at my side in case my character needed to have an rp emotional breakdown, but otherwise, I HAD to learn how to play the game and interact with the NPC's and how to smelt, fight (you tricky people... there goes my not wanting to fight theory) and even talk to the npc's.

There is argument for both sides, but one must also ask, what is the purpose of the Tut?  If you don't like it, always make sure you have a char in your account so you don't have to keep going through it.  If you're new, your not really going to know the difference unless in the above scenerio.
* Edig shrugs and thinks there are better things to worry about.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
In all seriousness, I don't see it being a big deal if a random player can /tell or /who. If it is just a random thing, who cares.

On the flip side, it was VERY nice being able to walk a friend through things who lives 4 hours away when he got stuck. I was also able to head to where he was going to spawn about the time he was finishing so I could give him a sight-seeing tour of Hydlaa.

I see this as being hugely beneficial on the one hand, and a minor annoyance on the other. So... Please do not change this and let's move on to the next real bug to discuss... perhaps brightness flickering in Akkaio?

Aiwendil

In general I don't see a big issue here too. I have no problems getting tells from unkowen people asking for help. Just wanted to add a comment about this

In all seriousness, I don't see it being a big deal if a random player can /tell or /who. If it is just a random thing, who cares.

It's not that random. As Anumesa said, she got some random tells. I can say the same about Aiwendil. Ah, and the character name of the original poster also starts with a "A". Maybe this has something to do, that the list you get from "/who" is sorted alphabeticly.  ;D

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think players in tutorial should be separate from those in Yliakum?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 10:46:45 am »
* Mythryndel wonders how many people will be petitioning a GM to add a "Z" to the beginning of their name now...

Anumesa

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 03:15:20 pm »
XD yeah i really dont see this as a big deal.

Unfortunately as one of the A's i have gotten a few random tells from players in the tutorial...but 99% of them were polite and just wanted to know where they could get some help.
* Anumesa changes her name to Zanumesa  :woot:

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 09:43:29 am »
If they were seperate, advisors would have a tough time advising.
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Edig

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 11:16:57 am »
um?  little confused here.  When I do a /who ig, i have to scroll up to get to the beginning of the list.  Being one of those guilty people who have /tell 'ed a player when I was in the tutorial many moons ago, I went for the first name I saw which I think was the end of the list.

By that reasoning...  Anumesa, perhaps changing your name to Nanumesa?  Middle of the pack sort of thing? 
* Edig grins