Author Topic: You guys heve no faith in people  (Read 1346 times)

Nadius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
You guys heve no faith in people
« on: July 22, 2003, 06:53:47 pm »
Look ive played many games that have had pking in one form or another... out of all the lvl based pks .. race based pks the all out pks and the list goes on and on and on...... the best system ive found is tibia it has a grace area where people cant attack each other than after the grace period its all on all... but people only pk for a reason... stolen loot, kill steal, extreme rudness and a small list of others... people dont usilly random pk cause the players not some restrictive pk system ill retaliate... you pk alot you die even more!!!!.. if everyone is kinda opposed to pk then there will be few pks even if there is no restrictive system.  

cmon people if we are at all mature people we will have a mature enviroment.. so please no more of these wacky systems that just restrict our in game lives....

lets just leave at what they want to do (sounds like everquest...) its worked for awile

all these crazy pk ideas are really annoying and all the pro pk people stressing realism in my opinion are morons... THIS IS A GAME.... A GAME SET WITH RACES THAT DONT EXIST And lots of other not real things... so please i dont play games that are too real i wanna havr fun

ok thats my opinion and people please close this whole pking thread its really getting out of hand

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 11:40:12 pm »
You, my friend, are a hypocrite.  Complaining that the PK discussion is getting out of hand, and yet contributing to the nonsense yourself.  You are no better than anyone else.

In addition, expecting that everyone will simply \"act mature\" is completely idiotic (no offense).  Most games, especially free online games, are made up of mostly stupid kids who couldnt give a rats ass about being mature.  So we simply cannot expect it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 04:09:20 am by Abemore »

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 11:52:11 pm »
good points, but your last sentense... what\'s wrong with this thread?

ok, I also have faith in people, I say enable pk, to the full extent and things might start out bad, but will get better eventually since people who will be dedicated will hold everything under control.  Hey, this type of game should be more than a sweet stick of gum.  Enjoy it for a while, then spit it out.  It should be long term, and the harder and the more grief in game, the better.

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 11:59:48 pm »
your faith in people is misplaced.

Role playing gives people a chance to live a life with no conscience or consequences.  Very much removed from real life.  You both have much to learn about human nature.

Originally posted by Nadius
all these crazy pk ideas are really annoying and all the pro pk people stressing realism in my opinion are morons... THIS IS A GAME.... A GAME SET WITH RACES THAT DONT EXIST And lots of other not real things... so please i dont play games that are too real i wanna havr fun
I think it was Alfred Hitchcock who said, \"a good movie is like life with the boring parts removed.\"  This is true for games as well.  Make a game with all the freedoms of life, but remove the boring parts, the annoying parts, and the undesired parts.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 12:21:10 am by Abemore »

...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

Monkey_Catcher

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003, 06:53:13 am »
Hey some people just have bloodlust as their cup of tea :D

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 10:00:06 am »
As much as I\'d like to have full PVP everywhere, we cant do it because there will always be somebody who will just noob bash. Then we\'ll get complaints, and then people will be unhappy. And new people wont start because they dont see the point if they\'ll get killed straight away. All these problems will eventually occur in a full PVP environment. :(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 10:00:21 am by Xordan »

Wedge

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 11:43:28 am »
Full PVP is fine, you just need very harsh penalties for doing it.  You get marked if you initiate and PK a single player, and then if you go anywhere near a civilized area a big burly guard comes and... beats you to an inch of your life, at which point you are put in jail and sentenced to something worse than death... a loss of stats!  The loss of stats is equal to the difference between your character and the character you killed, with a minimum of 10-20% of your stats.  This makes newb killing a lethal offense, as you would basically be reset.  This makes it difficult to go out and reoffend, since you will be weaker.

Oh and since you are marked you can\'t go anywhere near a town to resupply or rest or get equipment, or any other thing you will need to do.  Also players will either stay away from you, or if they want can freely attack you and turn you in for a bounty.  All they have to do to turn you in is too severely wound you, whereas you would obviously have to kill them to win.  

If you tried to continue killing people, the word would get around and stronger players would show up to kick your arse.  Perhaps even allow multiple players attacking you at once.  So basically someone who pk\'ed would best turn themselves in right away, or try and go into hiding while people hunt them.  Given\' the dev\'s aversion to teleporting and other forms of instant transportation, hunting someone down would probably be a fair deal.  And if you pk multiple people the sentence can even turn into a time-ban or maybe even perma-death, even though the devs hate that.  I already posted this idea more or less elsewhere, but I fleshed out the sentencing ideas here a little more.

Freedom to be able to do anything is important I think, but once you start infringing on other people\'s freedom\'s, just as in real life, there will be severe consequences.  I want to know if there are any loopholes in this system, aside from the fact it would need to be thoroughly, not gradualy implemented, and in the meantime PK should not exist outside of guild wars and arenas and consensual PvP.
Ninjas have feelings too.  Mostly they feel like dancing.

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 02:06:28 pm »
And with that penalty there is a point in having full PVP? A person should be able to get away with it somehow. This is good, but I think that there should be a time limit for not being able to go into a town etc. Make it long of course. But I think that having assasin skills are pointless in this. Maybe an asassins time would shorten the better they are. I dunno, u gotta make it fair for all classes.

lostprophet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 03:35:20 pm »
What if you just can\'t pk anyone more than 5 levels or a certain skill average below you? Would stop noob bashing...

Wedge

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 08:36:21 pm »
Ummm your mind musta slipped there for a sec lostprohpet, there are no levels in this game ;)

And yes you could get away with a PKing someone if you stayed away from people and civilzation, just like a normal murderer does, but otherwise odds are you will get caught.  I think having a time for the \"marked\" status to wear off would be fair, as long say a high level assasin could make one wear off in a day or two, and from there the skill degrades up to a couple weeks maybe.  That would still prevent a total kill spree, so I think that\'s a fair addition Xordan.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 08:36:47 pm by Wedge »
Ninjas have feelings too.  Mostly they feel like dancing.

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 09:22:04 pm »
Marked status should wear off, i agree.  The law (guards) would eventually lose interest.
however, a person should be permanently branded, and many people would refuse to do business with them and treat them negatively.  Being branded is for the life of the character.  This seems a fitting punishment for PKing.  It\'s up to you how you want to live your RP life.

Also, maybe player equality is important in pvp.  Stats could be ignored (for pvp only) decreasing the possibility of a \"sure thing\" PK.  High level characters killing newbs may no longer be a problem.  Only players weapons and equipment would matter in pvp combat, and even that can be modified for better equality.  PVP would then be more about player skill, and less about character skill.  Still a well placed backstab before the victim is alerted to your aggression can significantly reduce that characters health (for realism; yet it should still not be an easy kill).

And like the old west, if you strike first, and kill the other person, you become a murder, and will be branded as such.  But killing in self defense should be ok.  
Note: this system should prevent accidentally hitting another player (allowing that player to kill you free of charge); and it should also prevent accidental killing (by displaying a health meter or something).

I think it could work.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 09:42:19 pm by Abemore »

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 10:02:06 am »
Yes, a combination of those last 2 would make a very nice PVP sys. The only way to see if it would work though is to try it.

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2003, 02:35:18 pm »
I wouldn\'t be against such tests in the alpha/beta phase.

Zakynthos

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 07:55:27 pm »
Haven\'t you people ever heard of PK level restrictions? Cripes.  (It doesn\'t necessairly have to be level-based either, there\'s always a statistic you can base it on).

With no PvP, roleplaying and such CAN be fun if the gameplay allows it.  If the gameplay isn\'t very well made, it gets real boring, or real annoying, really fast.  No one can deny that having PvP implemented will have no problems along with it.

Therefore I conclude that, the universe will always be chaotic and there\'s no escaping it, so have it, and suck it up spineless people, or don\'t have it, and hope you have some reaaaal long stories to talk about.
Zakynthos the Wannabe Teacher

Leader of the Renegades - Coming soon!

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2003, 03:24:36 pm »
I have zero faith in anyone here (no offense).  I don\'t care who you are, where your from, or how old you are there will always be griefers.  NO matter what.  There will always be people that PK just to make other people mad.  It\'s a fact.  And although they may be few they disrupt the game play for everyone else.  I\'d like to stress as I ususlly do, that this is a ROLEPLAYING game.

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...