Author Topic: IC Harassment  (Read 1494 times)

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
IC Harassment
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:23:09 pm »
Actions that may Constitute Harassment:

When Intention to Cause Grief has been proven, the following are considered actions of harassment:

* Shouting IC/OOC insults or comments that are offensive or defamatory.
 [...]
    * Interrupting a specific player or group of player’s RP with IC or OOC comments.

Although I read this when I started playing, I just realised that I actually did these kind of harassments (ICly).
My evil char very often shouts/insults others by calling them "cowards" or giving them defamatory names. He also likes to disturb peaceful people just for fun.
However, in the description I mention to tell me OOCly to stop if I offend someone OOCly.

Since I don't want to get reported, could someone please advice me how to roleplay this? How can I roleplay an evil char with bad behaviour?

Velh Krome

Re: IC Harassment
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:26:21 pm »
It's not allowed to play an impolite char.

Thanks for reporting yourself, your char will be eliminated.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:33:23 pm »
Some parts have to be ignored, other considered important. Just like the bible ;)

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:38:38 pm »
While some may consider playing a rude char to be harrasment, i doubt any would report you for it.  I think you've interpreted the rules rather strictly.  If your comments are kept in character and aren't overly abusive or continually directed at one player or group of players you should be fine.  Also make sure things you say that might be kind of mean aren't directed at players who don't understand the difference between IC and OOC, new players would be more likely to take offence, but an experienced RPer would know you are just playing an evil char
Censorship FTW.

Velh Krome

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:42:37 pm »
I was playing a char for some time who was very rude, vulgar and impoilte - while about half of the people got it was all only IC (and were pleased and had fun), the other half either had to be convinced OOCly about my actual entertaining goals (besides of having a vulgar char around as well for a change, among almost everyone apparently has visited some school of manners) or I was just causing trouble by not running around acting like a sheep.
Finally I decided being THAT rude ICly isnt worth the OOC trouble caused.. so I toned it down, although I always was carefully wrapping that char's speech in an odd slang and never without /me or /my.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:47:05 pm »
Some parts have to be ignored, other considered important. Just like the bible ;)

No. The game rules are not to be partially ignored or pruned. It is not an ancient text subject to contradictory interpretations. If you have questions or think some things are not clear enough, let us know and we'll make the proper corrections. The rules are not optional. It's the players' responsibility to know them and abide by them.

IC harassment is RP and as such is not considered a violation of the game rules. However OOC harassment can be hidden under IC actions and they can be prosecuted. We can see through that just by looking at the logs or observing the situation.

Orgonwukh: you did not break any rules. You would have if you hadn't stopped whenever someone asked you to. You would have if you had used your evil character to torment another player with the intention of ruining their gaming experience. That was not the case.

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 03:50:51 pm »
Key Phrase: "When Intention to Cause Grief has been proven."  You won't get in any trouble for being rude In Character, as long as there is no OOC meaning/intent underneath it.
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

ElWu

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 04:07:10 pm »
I am interested in this thread somehow because I had some similar situation yesterday.
I was in a tavern where some char's were talking about fighting each other (it was obviously an rp) and I r-played that I'm intoxicated and I was trying to reconcile them offering drinks. They reacted rather coldly and one of them (not including name because its absolutely unneccessary) told me to shut up. Considered this as a part of rp I was acting offended and tried to react by provoking them (in rp manner of course) then I was told that I'm doing [OOC]. Gee.. Is that really so? Is it really my fault trying to join up someone's other rp. It's a little bit strange to me. Including there was no great action between them and I thought I can join this situation (when acting is advanced and a lot of people perform some actions I'm usually sitting and watching their act).
Tell me is it me or them doing misinterpretation?

Thanks

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 04:18:51 pm »
Some people just don't like it when others try to join in their role play i guess, don't really know what to do about it... you certainly weren't in the wrong though just keep trying and ignore stupid people
Censorship FTW.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 05:07:56 pm »
Orgonwukh: you did not break any rules. You would have if you hadn't stopped whenever someone asked you to. You would have if you had used your evil character to torment another player with the intention of ruining their gaming experience. That was not the case.

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks  ;D

Orgonwukh stumbles out of Kada-El's. A young looking Enkidukai approaches him and asks 'Sir, can you lend me some tria for a rock pick, please?'.
Orgonwukh yells 'Do I look like a social worker you stupid idiot?' and he blows his liquor breath into the Enkidukai's face.

I am interested in this thread somehow because I had some similar situation yesterday.
I was in a tavern where some char's were talking about fighting each other (it was obviously an rp) and I r-played that I'm intoxicated and I was trying to reconcile them offering drinks. They reacted rather coldly and one of them (not including name because its absolutely unneccessary) told me to shut up. Considered this as a part of rp I was acting offended and tried to react by provoking them (in rp manner of course) then I was told that I'm doing [OOC]. Gee.. Is that really so? Is it really my fault trying to join up someone's other rp. It's a little bit strange to me. Including there was no great action between them and I thought I can join this situation (when acting is advanced and a lot of people perform some actions I'm usually sitting and watching their act).
Tell me is it me or them doing misinterpretation?

Thanks

This is one of the greatest difficulties I encountered when roleplaying an evil char. A lot of players take it personally what my char does. I am constantly trying to show the difference between me and my char. I had a lot of roleplays where my char was insulting/fighting another char while we (the players) were laughing about it OOCly in tells.
A thing that helps is to send the involved players OOC /tells in brackets asking about possible involvements and options concerning their roleplay. Also some OOC explanation might be useful. In the above example of the Enkidukai approaching my char, I might have sent this tell:

[Hey, seems your char found the wrong person to ask :P]

ElWu

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 04:25:27 pm »
I did that but . .  ehhh.. Maybe some people can't play with other. Maybe they lack self-confidence:? :P

Still gotta keep it roleplaying isnt that right?  ;)

But this note about [ooc telling] is proper.

Got someone starting argue not reading exactly what I said and startup was ooc manner.

He started to give me dueling offers which I rejected as ooc behaviour (IC I would accept)

WHen after few days I met him again then he started "challenging" again

When I asked whats his problem is, in front of other people he insisted that was IC . .

heh Whatever. . .

Just telling people could be VERY strange sometimes . . :|

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 12:54:56 pm »
Some people don't understand the terms IC and OOC .. they simply use them at their convenience.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 01:22:37 pm »
A word of advice. For those very few people who actually read char descriptions, put an OOC warning right on top so people know that you are RP-ing a rude char, and not take it personal.

Remember, some players are actually kids. Always keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 01:25:24 pm by Ralleyon »
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

ElWu

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 04:26:07 pm »
I guess you're right.

Ohh ok . .

I felt a little better . .  :)

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 01:50:43 am »
Here is what I have at the bottom of Orgonwukh's description.
[In the unlikely case that you are offended by my roleplay, please tell me OOCly to stop it.]