Author Topic: Cut off their hands!!!  (Read 4451 times)

nosecret

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 04:04:05 am »
As one who plays rogues almost exclusively when given a choice, it seems simple to me.

This is indeed an rpg.  as such, the rogue should be allowed to thieve and to pickpocket at will.  he/she should also be ready to accept consequences of his/her actions.

the victim should be able to post wanted bulletins and/or bounties for the purloiner of his property.  the act of thieving should nullify the thief\'s no pk settings (but not auto-hostile unless caught in the act AND it was in the presence of the party hostiling) insofar as the victim and his/her allies are concerned.  the rest of the gaming world should have to rely on acceptance of any bounty to be able to override the thief\'s anti-pk settings.

should the victim not immediately catch the thief, said victim should be able (if he/she can afford the beareacratic fee) to file for a bounty on the thief.

remember, there\'s some other thief out there with knowledge of my rogue\'s whereabouts.  a decent rogue\'s gotta have some political ties and alliances.  make the bounty high enough and you\'ll get the info necessary to retrieve your item AND the rogue\'s head, perhaps.  there is, after all, only limited honor among thieves.

the fee could be a percentage (OHHHHH OR A MULTIPLE) of the take, and a npc could act as the arbiter of the bounty.  if the AI would be too hard, then perhaps a non-hostile/neutral certified-public-accountant-like player who could volunteer for that job as an additional role in citizenship in the game world.

the thief could also return the item to that third party with a fee or premium to wipe the slate clean for that particular infraction.

think of it as a baldur\'s gate-esque cowled wizard\'s like thingy...only thievery, not spellcasting, is the infraction involved.

if nothing else, it would add serious depth!

i\'d kill to lay out such an underlying system...i can\'t code though!

sorry about the lower case... am emailing from a tungsten.

keder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 11:18:22 am »
Originally posted by nosecret
As one who plays rogues almost exclusively when given a choice, it seems simple to me.

This is indeed an rpg.  as such, the rogue should be allowed to thieve and to pickpocket at will.  he/she should also be ready to accept consequences of his/her actions.

the victim should be able to post wanted bulletins and/or bounties for the purloiner of his property.  the act of thieving should nullify the thief\'s no pk settings (but not auto-hostile unless caught in the act AND it was in the presence of the party hostiling) insofar as the victim and his/her allies are concerned.  the rest of the gaming world should have to rely on acceptance of any bounty to be able to override the thief\'s anti-pk settings.

should the victim not immediately catch the thief, said victim should be able (if he/she can afford the beareacratic fee) to file for a bounty on the thief.

remember, there\'s some other thief out there with knowledge of my rogue\'s whereabouts.  a decent rogue\'s gotta have some political ties and alliances.  make the bounty high enough and you\'ll get the info necessary to retrieve your item AND the rogue\'s head, perhaps.  there is, after all, only limited honor among thieves.

the fee could be a percentage (OHHHHH OR A MULTIPLE) of the take, and a npc could act as the arbiter of the bounty.  if the AI would be too hard, then perhaps a non-hostile/neutral certified-public-accountant-like player who could volunteer for that job as an additional role in citizenship in the game world.

the thief could also return the item to that third party with a fee or premium to wipe the slate clean for that particular infraction.

think of it as a baldur\'s gate-esque cowled wizard\'s like thingy...only thievery, not spellcasting, is the infraction involved.

if nothing else, it would add serious depth!

i\'d kill to lay out such an underlying system...i can\'t code though!

sorry about the lower case... am emailing from a tungsten.

i very much agree with this desription of possibilities...

please?

--- keder maloy

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 02:11:41 am »
An eleborate system with bounties and hand chopping would make PS unique but will not solve the main problem of what happens when a player has something of value stollen.  The victom will not bother reading the instructions on how to post a bounty.  They will simply shout in chat \"My Armor of invincibite was stollen!!!!!! Who did it!!!!!\". This will be followed by a pettion to the the PS personell.  

A good thief will pick an easy target, and easy target will be one who can not catch him.  What ever the rules are, the thieves will find the sweet spot in the system and exploit it.  The game Devs will be force to \"nerf\" the thieves untill all the non thief players are happy and all the Thief players give up an make new non-thief players.

Haveing said all that...
This is my favorite board.  I am all in favor of a system that lets the players dispence there own justice.  If guild leaders had and ability to send out bounty hunters that could chop off the hands of thieves that would be great.  Here is how I imagine it could be done

The victom who I will call Wimpilton is level 10 warrior.  His pack is stollen one day by none other than Drakklar ;) unfortunatly for Drakklar he was not entirely successfull. Yes he got the pack, but his thieving ability was not good enough to escape detection.  This gives Wimpilton the option of dueling Drakklar.  Drakklar does not get the option of refusing since he initiated the combat with pickpocket ability.  Wimpilton is not very bright, but he is not foolish enough to accept the duel.  Drakklar is disappointed, because he stole the pack hoping Wimpilton would duel him.  He really does not have a use for the 100 giant rat tails that were in the pack.  

Since Wimpliton saw Drakklar steal the pack and declined the duel, Drakklars name is put on a thieves list in the guild hall, and the guild leaders can now issue a bounty on his hand.   Now anyone who goes to the guild hall will be able to \"Duel\" Drakklar and if successfull they will be able to \"loot\" his hand.

The hand can be sold to the nearest thieves guild NPC who will trade the hand for some Tria.  If Drakklar wants his hand back he will have to go to a simmilar NPC and buy it back pluss a fee for reattaching it! If Drakklar does not reattach it he will only able to fight with one hand and can not steal or pick locks or any other cool stuff.

I think this would work, but most thieves probably would not enjoy the challenge and commplain the system is too harsh.  The thieves would just have to hope that they are successful in stealling without being noticed.  a usefull percentage might be 30% chance to get away scott free. 30% chance to get caught red handed. 30% chance to fail and nothing happens.

Kura

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 09:18:06 pm »
the total amount of skill over several areas should be the determining factor in how often you get caught instead of the chance-of-getting-caught-while-stealing skill. say....

thieving+agility+stealth(just anything else related to stealing) / 3= X          

100-X= % of getting caught

yes im a genius i know :D hehe

keder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 12:10:07 pm »
Originally posted by Kura
the total amount of skill over several areas should be the determining factor in how often you get caught instead of the chance-of-getting-caught-while-stealing skill. say....

thieving+agility+stealth(just anything else related to stealing) / 3= X          

100-X= % of getting caught

yes im a genius i know :D hehe

stealth has little to do with picking a lock. i can arrange for ... say ulbernauts to come into the plaza, then while everyone is distracted, pick the locks on the doors and storage chests at the inn and make off with everything, stumbling around and making as much noise as i care to. such equations need to be tailored to the specific case.

and i don\'t care how good a pickpocket you are, i doubt you\'ll be able to lift a suit of armor while the person is wearing it, again, a different equation.

... need blowdarts with a sleeping agent...

--- keder maloy

Ratster

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 11:49:56 pm »
I used to play a game called The Realm (and by used to I mean back in 1999).
They had a nice system for both PKing and Theiving.
Normally, you could turn PK on or off whenever you wanted, but if you tried to steal something from someone, PK for you would be on for a month.

It worked rather well, though a month would probably be way too much for PlaneShift.

Jimmeh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 10:53:38 pm »
Ratster,
i think that this is a great idea, because then thieves are punished for theiving, and people can pk for a good reason.

At the end of the Gulf war, Kuwaitis celebrated by firing guns in to the air.... 20 died from falling bullets

DCTalk

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 11:30:59 am »
Originally posted by derwoodly
The hand can be sold to the nearest thieves guild NPC who will trade the hand for some Tria.  If Drakklar wants his hand back he will have to go to a simmilar NPC and buy it back pluss a fee for reattaching it! If Drakklar does not reattach it he will only able to fight with one hand and can not steal or pick locks or any other cool stuff.

And what happens when someone gets smart and DOESN\'T sell his hand back after looting it?  The guy is crippled, possibly for life (someone make a mule account to jsut store hands ffor your guild, etc. to prevent others stealing from you, etc.)

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2006, 08:06:11 pm »
Huuummm, good point.  The \"hand of Drakklar\" would be a unique item and it would be very tempting to not sell it.  Perhaps a thieves hand quest, that ends in a powerfull NPC summoning the hand back to its original owner.   As part of the quest the thief would have to sware an aliance to the Black flame or something.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Cut off their hands!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 02:12:08 pm »
I neither aprove nor disaprove of PvP or PK if it is done fairly to RPs who want nothing to do with either.  However, if PS was to have such activities (doubtfull), there should be severe punishments.  Thieves chance losing a hand, and PK would result in a LOSS of exp. instead of a gain.
Also, it would be a good idea to limit the number of PKs and theives allowed in the game at one time.
As for verbal abuse, I like the idea of an <ignore/\"name\"> comand.  Greaving should not be allowed ever.  Excommunication is the best way to deal with these people.

1.  There are role-players who combat other payers.
2.  Pacifists are not protected from violence.
3.  A failure can still be a learning experience.

edit:  wth?  How was this thread bumped?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 02:15:30 pm by zanzibar »
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Kymizer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 08:23:53 am »
i think maybe one place to PVP would be good where you don't have to ask for a challenge.

lol Zanzibar...haha...a person could have posted, then deleted afterword...don't know though...
Kyzer
The Blue Dragons Clan
The Dragon Council

DaveG is the greatest...
Quote from: DaveG
Dude, you have issues...

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 10:46:48 am »
Only mods can delete posts, and if a post that bumped a thread is deleted, the post gets unbumped back to its rightful place. An edit somewhere will revive a thread too, however.

Kymizer, such suggestions are numerous and plentiful :}
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

BlackAcre

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006, 06:34:17 pm »
The easiest system is to let failed pick-pockets on NPCs go ballistic on a thief and failed pick-pockets or other thefts on PCs more or less give that character a message and the two of you can roleplay it as best as you can.  Anyway, the PC should be off-limits to that theif in perpetuity.  Screw up with everyone and you're out of business (you should be dead, but that's undoable) as a theif.

Rockhoof

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 10:55:58 pm »
I dunno, IMO, the first three rules of good game design are:

1. Never punish a player for actions beneficial to the game (not the same thing as 'actions that would be 'beneficial' to other people...').
    We WANT them doing certain actions, including being 'thief-like'
2. Never give other players the power to punish a player.
    This will lead to abuse.  Punishment should only ever be meted out by someone who is answerable to some form of authority outside of the game.
3. Never punish a player for actions outside his control.
    A player cannot control the actions of another player, never EVER cause one player loss through the actions of another. This is a corollary to rule number 2.  It's open to abuse.

Let's look at PvP Theft, PvP-T for short.  There are a couple of fairly major differences between players and mobs.  First and foremost is that players represent, in game terms, a time consolidated, upwardly racheting gear system.  What do I mean by that?  It means that players, as holders of gear are MUCH more valuable than mobs are when someone is out looking for gear.  Because the gear a player has can be seen as a direct representation of the time spent aquiring it.  Mobs on the other hand, are not nearly so rich a resource for aquiring gear.  The result of this gear availability imbalance is very likely to be smart players stealing gear off of other players because
a) one always knows where to find players, just hang around a merchant, they'll show up, and
b) players have great gear, mobs MAY have great gear.

So, what have we established?  That given the opportunity, the smart player will try and aquire his gear from other players, not other mobs.  It may take a little while to find a player with gear, but consider when gear-relevant meshes are installed: Players become walking signposts of 'Come get my great stuff!' 

That's the side of the prospective thief, and it does indeed look slick and juicy.  We have enouraged PvP-T and Thieves will indeed act like thieves. \\o//

What about the side of the 'victim'?  Let's give our victim a Greatsword of Ubar-Leetness.  It's a quest reward from a quest chain that's no longer available (the greatsword was deemed to be too good for its level) but the two or three players who had finished the quest before this was determined were allowed to keep their prizes.  This is a not-too uncommon occurance in small gaming communities - people like to be nice when given the chance.  Would you allow a thief-type player to grab that?  Remember, there are only two or three examples of this item in the entire game.  This object is, quite literally, priceless.  Do we let a prospective thief have an opportunity at aquiring such an item at another player's expense?  If so, how is this different from griefing?  If not, then at what level of 'rarity' do we allow items to be stolen?  A drop rate of 1 in 100?  1 in 1000?  How about items that are rewards from non-repeatable quests?  Are those items up for grabs too?  These are just SOME of the reasons why PvP-T isn't necessarily a good idea. 

The best reason, however is simply this:  By allowing a thief to steal an item from another player, you allow communities to form witch-hunts.  Someone does something that the community at large doesn't feel is acceptable, it doesn't matter WHAT that is, it could even be trivial, the fact remains that you have now allowed people to log onto their Thief type characters and steal another players gear as 'punishment'.  It doesn't even matter if there are limits put in place.  All sorts of limits can be placed, but they can ALL be worked around in some form or another.  Just to prove a point, let me show you how:

1. A 'Thief' can only steal one item from any player within 24hrs.
   Easy, get your friends to do the same.

2. A 'Thief' can only steal one item from any player ever.
   Then why bother allowing players to steal from one another?

3. A player can only be the 'vicitm' of a theft once per 24hrs.
   Then you do it again tomorrow, and tomorrow and tomorrow (as it creeps in this petty pace from day to day)

Other variants of the above merely slow the process down.

It isn't up to us - the community as a whole - to determine who can and cannot play a game. If you don't like someone, /ignore them, problem solved. 

THAT's the problem with PvP-T.  As long as a process is open to abuse, given enough time, it will be abused, that's a guarrantee.  Better to not allow it in the first place, when it's a game we are talking about.  Games are meant to be fun, but fun is never had at another's expense. :'(

So, what's a person who wants to play a 'thief' to do?

Well, there are several options that follow all three rules of good game design.

1. Allow would-be thieves to 'steal' money from other players.  This money isn't actually taken from the accounts of the 'victim', but generated on the spot by the game, as a reward for a risky activity.  Failure can mean an imposed penalty equal to some multiple of the amount stolen - enforced by the guards.  To further allow for thiefly activities, if the thief can elude the guards for a period of time, they 'forget' - it's a large city, with many things going on and a pick-pocket nabbing a few (or even a lot) of tria from some overly rich adventuring type isn't really high on the priority lists of the guards.  This isn't Smallville, USA where robbing a convienence store is news for the month, this is Hydlaa, where invaders from above are a very real problem.

2. Create in-game activities generally open to just thief-types (but circumventable by others with some real effort).  Create mobs that carry keys that, if killed, lessen some reward that players like.  A highly skilled pick-pocket can be a real asset here.  Create doors that are locked, and chests that are trapped.  Make them common enough that it really pays to have a rogue-ish type around, but not so common that it's ever a necessity - no type of class should ever be a necessity. 

However, you should allow say, blacksmiths or another artisan type, to create single use skeleton keys (of varying levels for varying locks) out of expensive materials that anyone can use.

3. Allow thieves to get a 'free' draw from a mob's loot list by using the pick-pocket skill.  Failure 'enrages' the mob and makes it much harder to kill, but success brings great reward.  Using a three-valued logic, it's simple to create a small chance at total success (you get an item or two), a large chance of partial success (you don't get anything, but you don't anger the mob either, allowing you to kill it normally), and another small chance of total failure (you don't get anything and you got caught, good luck killing that mob!).

4. Create situations that can be 'solved' just as well by being sneaky as by being overwhelming.  Don't consider it 'cheating' when a clever player uses his stealth skills to sneak past the guards and then uses he open-lock skill to unlock the 'Chest of Great Renown' from within the King's bedchamber.  He's playing the game using his skills as much as someone else is using theirs.

There are plenty of ways out there to make it highly worthwhile to be a rogue-ish type.  Just remember, none of the GOOD ways involve hurting another player of a game.

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 05:24:33 am »
very nice points made :thumbup:

just a few sugestions:
theft should be allowed on money and inventory slots and house storing objects when it gets implemented. (basicly stuff that is laying around dead.. old stuff should have high chance of getting robed since most probably the owner wont use it anyways.)
theft should not be allowed on gear items since they are in very contact with the body. and it would cause griefing situations.
a switch hands slot slot should be implemented for switch gears, off limits to theft also.
a hand bag or object to hold glyths or other type of items that may be used in general professions so they arent free game for thieths should be implemented in game before theft is alowed

right now only remenber this :D