Author Topic: Factions  (Read 1677 times)

Aznakh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Factions
« on: December 12, 2005, 03:26:24 am »
Hello everybody:

In my experience with MMORPGS (and they are quite a few) the only PVP systems that were enjoyable and viable were faction based and limited to certain areas.
First of all the factions (which can be anything: Deity, Race, Good vs Evil, Realm, etc...) give the PVPing experience a role-playing foundation. Besides it filters out the possibilities to have wild PVP-players which would spoil the playing experience. It will also increase the teamwork feeling and grow certain bonds between players.
In order to make such a system viable it would have to be limited to certain areas where peole of separate factions can confront each other. For instance the Cities and their immediate surroundings will be safe due to a high concentration of guards which protect the citizens of that city, however the farther you get into the wilderness the more chances you have to get attacked.
This will encourage players to group up if they want to go hunting on certain monsters which will be only in those areas.
It is just a tought, but in my opinion it is the most viable PVP system. Especially since in Planeshift there are no levels it would allow less experienced players to enjoy the relative safety of the city and it\'s surrounding areas before adventuring into the wild.

Off course the dead realm will be an entirely non PVP-zone to avoid endless dead loops. =p
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 03:32:51 am by Aznakh »

BabaLi

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Factions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 06:28:36 am »
Faction is good for pvp, but you need at least 3 factions, like in daoc.

But a full guild vs guild should be fun too :-)

dying_inside

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 05:31:18 pm »

This would become very enjoyable if guilds were fighting over landmarks and such. Because there would have to be an aim really, otherwise it would dry out like other PVP systems.  I would really like to see purposefull guild warefare.
 A location that strikes ne is  that huge hill with the stine and the water in the middle, on the way to Akkaio. You could mount a Tower on there or somthing.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 05:35:24 pm by dying_inside »

newance

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 11:02:57 pm »
In order for this to work with the factions, the guilds would have to have more of an in game presence.  I mean be less of a forum based chat and a title, and more of a flag to gather under that is recognized by the Plane Shift world.  i really do like the idea of factions though; because the landscape would change according to guild power struggles and so on.  there could always be the option of loner types having a place, maybe being able to make temporary ties with a guild or something.  sorta mission based but having the mission actually made by a human being in the guild.  and there would probably have to be a max to guild size to prevent one guild from taking over completely.

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:59:13 am »
Um... sorry to break it to ya, but we already have a factions system.  ;)  We just don't use if for anything.

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

newance

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 03:45:15 pm »
when can we use it for something?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 04:04:07 pm »
When it's ready.

There is no way to give any more specific of an answer, sorry :}
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 08:03:47 pm »
Factions system. You don't happen to mean the tribe system, right?
If it's that system, then I have seen it in action and I can't say it's working right at the moment ;)
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

dying_inside

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 03:40:22 am »
In order for this to work with the factions, the guilds would have to have more of an in game presence.  I mean be less of a forum based chat and a title, and more of a flag to gather under that is recognized by the Plane Shift world.  i really do like the idea of factions though; because the landscape would change according to guild power struggles and so on.  there could always be the option of loner types having a place, maybe being able to make temporary ties with a guild or something.  sorta mission based but having the mission actually made by a human being in the guild.  and there would probably have to be a max to guild size to prevent one guild from taking over completely.

Read Rioths PVP idea and my reply to that, in the "how unrealistic" thread. I personnally think that gives the guilds a reason and prescence.

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 03:23:32 pm »
ThomPhoenix: Factions & tribes are not the same, although tribes might use the factions system.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sugested solution:Quarantine and/or death sentence
    • View Profile
    • A MUD gladiator game.Press link and level to make me rich.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 05:31:31 pm »
so can anyone actualy TELL us here what this Tribe and Faction system is ???
Singned
  -One serious case of nuty.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 05:49:59 pm »
ThomPhoenix: Factions & tribes are not the same, although tribes might use the factions system.
I know, I must've been very dense when I posted that or something :P

Tribe system: AI for NPCs, they run around, explore, gather gold and multiply! <-- pretty developed already
Factions: Players can belong to a certain faction, comparable to WoW's Human vs. Orc thingy. <-- might never be used?
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 08:34:56 pm »
I'm thinking the Factions may be less like WoW and more like Oblivion. Your actions will affect NPC behaviors towards you, and it won't be as sculpted in stone as it is in WoW - not something you choose at character creation once and forever, but instead malleable through in-game actions.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sugested solution:Quarantine and/or death sentence
    • View Profile
    • A MUD gladiator game.Press link and level to make me rich.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 12:40:39 pm »
thx i get it now :
maybe some factions could react to certain quest that determine your alignment
Like if you chose to act it out as a thief you get some attention from the badside's shady faction
if you do it as a zealos dogooder you get some attention from the PS equal of the paladin faction

basicaly it could be another reason to have people do quests and also you could make the reputation
slide say 5% to the son of the hero so its more realistic
the son of the most dark magic obsesed persson in Yliakum will be favored by Evil and hated by Good
Singned
  -One serious case of nuty.

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 01:38:53 pm »
Speaking of oblivion, will we get weird women with mysterious notes when we steal stuff, and the night mother and stuffs when we kill innocents? Except...we could call it the night father. And I could lead it, with Sangwa as my pitiful minion of darkness  ;D

(just kiddin sangwa  :flowers: )
Talamir - DeT, Dark Empire, etc, etc, etc.