Author Topic: How Unrealistic  (Read 5358 times)

Alphi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: How Unrealistic
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 09:41:10 pm »
In some RPG games if you hit a good NPC then all of the other NPCs in your area turn violent against you.
I think this would be fun...
Have the whole town come after you if you kill someone your not supposed. to.. and then it only stops when you die.
Other players should get an experience bonus and a bounty for killing someone who does kill a good NPC..

That would balance things out quite nicely.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 01:30:58 am »
In some RPG games if you hit a good NPC then all of the other NPCs in your area turn violent against you.
I think this would be fun...
Have the whole town come after you if you kill someone your not supposed. to.. and then it only stops when you die.
Other players should get an experience bonus and a bounty for killing someone who does kill a good NPC..

That would balance things out quite nicely.

I think with rats, clackers, thugs and rogues - yes.  They should help eachother out... it's actually been suggested in the past.  Gladiators, tefusang, and ulbernaughts though I think are more individualistic and won't help eachother out - especially gladiators, since they're there to fight one on one.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 05:57:15 am »
Well, a thug helping a thug...I don't see it. I think they'd fight eachother because maybe it's their territory or something. =P

And a rogue helping a rat? In the sewers I saw a rogue kill a rat once. =P

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 06:16:49 am »
Well, a thug helping a thug...I don't see it. I think they'd fight eachother because maybe it's their territory or something. =P

i want to see that to, however i agree, there is another thread i staretd in the wishlist not the childboard. (kill npc's)
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 02:09:57 pm »

It's called a gang.

Rogues would help rogues.  Rats would help rats.
Immaturity is FTW.

Rockhoof

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2006, 12:42:08 pm »

You're hitting on what's called a 'social' mob, which is different from an 'aggresive' mob, though the two are often combined.  'Social' is a MUDish term meaning that mobs that are attacked bring others along with them.

There are a lot of variations: only social mobs of the same type, only social mobs of different types, social all mobs, don't social mobs at all &ct.

Monster type mobs can be social for a variety of reasons: they're pack animals, they're intelligent and see a source of something they 'desire', they're peaceful until disturbed...

Humanoid type mobs can also be social for a variety of reasons: they're on the same 'side' (all rogues in a city are in the same 'guild'), they're opportunistic (that player just attacked a rat, if he dies, I can 'get his stuff', so I'll attack too), they're easily perturbed and ornery...

Social-ness is an attribute of a mob just like aggressiveness and part of learning the game is figuring out which mobs are going to try and bring 'friends' along when you attack them.

Delsabor Nash

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Delsabor the Stalwart Axe
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 08:08:21 pm »
I really like what Suno is suggesting, but there is one serious flaw. It makes the game shift far more towards training and strength, which is DEFINITLY not what people want.  Pls, something common enough in this game, could become even more rampant, taking away from any fun just regular rpers would have. You would either need to donate hours and hours of your time to become a PL for safety, or just be in fear. Its a flawed system.

Kaelith<3

AThousandYoung

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 05:37:53 pm »
Open PvP. Clever and effective police force which uses magic effectively but within reason for some places including the noobs' home cities. You get caught by the police, it's BAD. Character unplayable for a real life day, week or month as he rots in prison or something for murder. It's possible to get away with if you have a good build and plan, but not worth it for random griefing of noobs.

dying_inside

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 03:37:54 am »
I thonk Rioth's idea was very appealing. It  appeals both to character advancement and Role playing. It also builds community development, seeing as most of us depend soley on ourselves it would be nice to have to decide weather to journey alone or make a wiser choice in a pack, because of the known rogue Enkidukia "insert players name here" who haunts he Oja road attacking innocent travellers.

Also you also have several guilds who seem to be set up to protect the innocents of Yliakum. they could protect the young travelers and the NPC's from harm. This idea gives them a whole new angle to their cause. It makes them valid instead of just another guild. In the same way the Dark guilds of Yliakum who seek to stir up chaos, would battle these protective gulds as they stand in the way of the aims of the Black Flame, or general havoc  or whatever "evil" they serve. So in another way this system that Rioth has suggested builds the community, general atmosphere of the world and interactivity.

Also with the social Mobs, i think would be a great asset to community development, it would be nice to adventure into the sewers attack what you think is  a lone rogue  until the two others across the  water and down the tunnel come running to the aid of their gang member forcing you to consider your moves before you make them.

A little tactical thinking could be inspire by all of this aswell, you would have to consider how to go about dealing with this new threat, it may not be as simple as charge in and hack and slash. Maybe you'd have to draw them off individually, out of the range of their social mobs.  If PVP and social mobs are done right I think it would make a large difference tothe gameplay as far as the payers are concerned.

Rolf Blacksmith

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 07:10:49 am »
One suggestion:

I think it's rather strange to have guards and walls around shady areas of towns.

I'd rather implement some sort of display that roughly shows you how dangerous the area is. Let it be a slider bar or some image changing with the feeling of security you have, etc.
For the newcomers you could combine it with a message popping up the first time you try to enter a dangerous area, explaining the "danger"-display (for those who didn't read the guide).

After that it would be one's personal decision whether to go to areas where one doesn't feel safe.
As an additional idea, the timid ones could have an option that shows some sort of warning when they leave secure areas. But that's only some additional idea.

Using this approach, dangerous areas could even change from time to time, e.g. grow, shrink, move, vanish, ...

P.S.:
Maybe the ability to evaluate the dangerousness of an area could become better with time or depend on one's abilities, so a full armored bounty hunter might evaluate an area different than a cook.
Typing and grammatic errors may be safely ignored, they come without charge ...

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 01:17:40 am »
I'd rather implement some sort of display that roughly shows you how dangerous the area is. Let it be a slider bar or some image changing with the feeling of security you have, etc.

Absolutely not.  If a slider or warning popped up on your screen, then it would be a very strong reminder that you're playing a video game.  Health and mana bars are bad enough without clutter like that.  Instead, people should rely on common sense and past experiences to make such judgements.
Immaturity is FTW.

Rolf Blacksmith

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 01:33:19 am »

Absolutely not.  If a slider or warning popped up on your screen, then it would be a very strong reminder that you're playing a video game.  Health and mana bars are bad enough without clutter like that.  Instead, people should rely on common sense and past experiences to make such judgements.

You're right, but I still think that's a better way than having guards and walls around all of the more risky parts of towns. I think you don't even need some kind of bar or such. Make your character itself express how he feels like, although that would be quite some kind of work:
- The higher the level of danger, the more the character starts looking around, changes its posture to be able to defend itself in case of attacks. Probably there are more ways to express that which currently don't come to my mind. But, as already said, that would be much of work on the animation part, especially as every race will have an unique set of reactions.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 01:37:26 am »

You're right, but I still think that's a better way than having guards and walls around all of the more risky parts of towns. I think you don't even need some kind of bar or such. Make your character itself express how he feels like, although that would be quite some kind of work:
- The higher the level of danger, the more the character starts looking around, changes its posture to be able to defend itself in case of attacks. Probably there are more ways to express that which currently don't come to my mind. But, as already said, that would be much of work on the animation part, especially as every race will have an unique set of reactions.

Except that you are your character, and your character should only feel anxious if you intend for your character to feel anxious, or if there is some outside force acting on your character such as magic or chemicals.  If you don't have the street smarts to recognize a bad part of town, then why should a slider do the work for you?  Instead, there should be certain signs such as poor lighting, lack of guards, trash on the ground, shady characters in alley-ways, boarded up windows, etc.  And there should be a book (perhaps available only to more street-wise characters) explaning these warning signs.
Immaturity is FTW.

sesmi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 08:23:17 pm »

This isn't a strict puritan RPG. most that enforce that are MUDs. I hae seen some people complain about GUI beyond just viewpoint and allowing view outside 1st person, even suggesting that people should have to make a new character if they die. alot of people who complain about things like this are MUD users and don't understand how graphical MMORPGs have to work.

Rolf Blacksmith

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 12:34:19 pm »
... Instead, there should be certain signs such as poor lighting, lack of guards, trash on the ground, shady characters in alley-ways, boarded up windows, etc.  And there should be a book (perhaps available only to more street-wise characters) explaning these warning signs.

That's an idea I'd fully support!