Author Topic: pickpocketing: random loot generator  (Read 2150 times)

lollie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
pickpocketing: random loot generator
« on: June 24, 2006, 07:39:12 pm »
haven't had the time to sift through all the threads here, but how about this ---> allow people to train pickpocketing skill, target other players (and NPCs of course), then based on the target's level the item obtained (should a success event occur) could be randomly generated by the server and thus spawned on the spot - and not actually come out of the targetted player's inventory.

that way thief-type players could train skills without griefing others.

Nalain Tarek

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: pickpocketing: random loot generator
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:45:16 pm »
hhhhmmm interesting idea but this takes away from the "pickpocketing" idea but the level would increase success rate and the item value could be selected from level. It would'nt pickpocket items that arnt valuble or belong to the quest item category.  But pickpoceting causes greif a master theif could get alot and a new theif could get things like mushrooms but greif will happen! :)
Poet, Scholar, Traveler, average guy.
Iers, Strathus, Devitus, me.

lollie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 07:51:37 pm »
damn right pickpocketing causes grief - if the thief checks a fail event then nearby guards could be automatically alerted (and set to attack on sight - this is where that thief had better have trained ---> Hide in Shadows also); and the player in question (or the NPC) would also be automatically alerted (and their response could be anger etc. as you would imagine ;) )

lollie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 09:39:52 pm »
<quote taken from other thread>

...BTW: lollie your idea isnt too good my guys a theif he doesnt want to target a guy he knows has a sword in his inventory but nothing else and up getting a mushroom

c'est la vie if your thief character has a low skill, isn't it.

and like i said, the random item generated is based on the target's level.

*edit* i hate typos
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 09:43:03 pm by lollie »

Faolach

• Traveller
  • Overly caffenated Kran, coming through
    • View Profile
    • Draconian Light
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:49:02 pm »
This is a good idea cause it doesn't actually hurt the player being pickpocketed, but helps make the game more realistic and fun for theives. Maybe the generator could also take into account the items that the person being pickpocketed has, and choose from those based on level. If the items could not be taken by a theif of that level, then the pickpocketing fails. The guard idea is a good idea too. This might work as well. Maybe if a person notices that they are being pickpocketed, they can automatically enter into a duel with the theif without needing the theif to accept if they choose to do so. Makes the profession riskier, but also adds a little more excitement.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:49:59 am by Faolach »

Denerynn

• Hydlaa Resident
  • A traveller in search of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 08:02:09 pm »
This is a good idea cause it doesn't actually hurt the player being pickpocketed, but helps make the game more realistic and fun for theives. Maybe the generator could also take into account the items that the person being pickpocketed has, and choose from those based on level. If the items could not be taken by a theif of that level, then the pickpocketing fails. The guard idea is a good idea too. This might work as well. Maybe if a person notices that they are being pickpocketed, they can automatically enter into a duel with the theif without needing the theif to accept if they choose to do so. Makes the profession riskier, but also adds a little more excitement.

Well the duel idea isn't too bad, but if the thief has very good skills, then he could easily beat the person he's thieving, unless of course other rules are added. But the idea isn't too bad. As long as the player (not the thief) doesn't actually lose any items, then its alright.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Faolach

• Traveller
  • Overly caffenated Kran, coming through
    • View Profile
    • Draconian Light
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 08:39:49 am »
I see what you mean. However, most high-level theives would only pickpocket high-level people, so it doesn't matter. and anyway, there could still be guards to protect lower-level people.

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 03:40:19 am »
This idea would never work because it would be mega easily abused: I give my high level items to a friend for an hour, then he stands there while I repeatedly pickpocket him for an hour and generate stashes of new items, which I then sell for a profit.  It would break down the entire economy.

fluor

• Wayfarer
  • proud to be a noob^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 03:51:49 am »
i think items shouldn't be able to get stolen, but what about being able to steal 0,5%-25% money of a person depending on random generation and higher lvls the minimum % money stolen gets higher

if items can be stolen ppl ppl will only complain about it.

the dueling idea is good, but you must add that a duel started because of the thieving can't be stopped with /yield.

arcain92

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 06:36:02 pm »
in my opinion..its not a very good idea for rp reasons..i think that you should be able to take things from peoples inventories but its really hard and you cant take big things like claymores or rock picks..and mapy there will be a skill that will help you guard your valubles  like gems..or you can get speacial pouches that make it harder to pick from..and guards attacking you for pickpocketing is not a good idea either..there should be a jail system.and if your caught you have to pay a toll or wait like 30 mins to be released.and there should be a skill called looting where you can kill people and loot them(but only get small things depending on your loot level...and i think that if theres  ever a way to just flat out kill some one its punishable by death..but it would have to be really kool like a big gathering to watch the murderer get hung
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 12:55:10 pm by arcain92 »

Proglin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 06:19:57 am »
GM Onit and I did an event the other day, it involved two rogues that roamed Ojaroad in search of lonely travelers. We then mugged them and used a GM command to take small items. The players didn't mind us taking those, but just enjoyed the event, chasing us down and eventually managing to retrieve the items. This lead to me thinking of the following structure.

A thieves picpocket skill is in relation with the weight of an item. After all, t's easier to take a tria then a double bladed battle axe, someone may notice. When a thief uses ahis "/pickpocket target" command, he gets a list of items he can try and steal and chooses one of them. With a low skill, you simply can not select a sword, or axe, only small loot and tras will appear. Once your level increases, you can try and steal heavier items.

Ofcourse there is a chance that any player is smart enough to see through a pickpocketeer (<--- new word as of today) And they in turn ave some random "protection" stat that still needs implementing. This stat decides wether or not a pickpocketeer is noticed. "[name] has taken 120 trias from you!" message will appear on screen when something gets stolen. If you notice, the item remains safely in your inventory.
yours, the entertainer

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 08:56:26 am »
A thieves picpocket skill is in relation with the weight of an item. After all, t's easier to take a tria then a double bladed battle axe, someone may notice. When a thief uses ahis "/pickpocket target" command, he gets a list of items he can try and steal and chooses one of them. With a low skill, you simply can not select a sword, or axe, only small loot and tras will appear. Once your level increases, you can try and steal heavier items.

Ofcourse there is a chance that any player is smart enough to see through a pickpocketeer (<--- new word as of today) And they in turn ave some random "protection" stat that still needs implementing. This stat decides wether or not a pickpocketeer is noticed. "[name] has taken 120 trias from you!" message will appear on screen when something gets stolen. If you notice, the item remains safely in your inventory.

Inteligance lvl would have to play a large part on both sides. While training to be a 'pickpocketeer' ;) you are limited by your INT. lvl and charisma. It must be made a difficult skill to train if you are going to allow a player to see anothers inventory (even if only a few items), otherwise everyone will train it just to see what others have.
I do like the progressive idea of only seeing small items first.

The targets intelligence would decide what lvl of detection they have. A character of low intelligence would only get a message when looking in their inventory and selecting the slot where the item that was stolen used to be- "at 12:40 player A pickpocketed your 2 mushrooms". A character with higher inteligance would notice right away- "you feel a slight movment in your pack and notice Player A's hand reaching in your pack".

Of cource there are going to be the people who are totally against the new 'pickpocketeer' who has managed to take anything from them, saying 'it isnt fair, I worked hard for that mushroom and its mine, I want it back now! '.  Well I say too bad, get used to it. It will add a great deal of RP situations and add a new lvl to the characters trying to be thieves. You cant have every facet of a game like this apeal to everyone, otherwise it would be very limited and boring.

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • ꞆĂ­ꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 09:13:57 am »
What does intelligence have to do with theft? If the thieves were intelligent they wouldn't be thieves.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 10:04:59 am »
If the thieves were intelligent they wouldn't be thieves.

Objection! If the thieves lacked intelligence they wouldn't be thieves for long :] Being smart and sneaky is critical when doing dangerous jobs.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 10:11:43 am »
There is a difference between being intelligent and having morals, Parallo. Thieves can and probably need to be rather smart. This doesn't mean they have the same morals most normal people do though, if they had those they would never have been thieves to start with.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru