Author Topic: Guild wars, why the system is fundamentally flawed in a nutshell  (Read 6999 times)

Valorius Rageway

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Champion duelist of the realm
    • View Profile
Guild wars, why the system is fundamentally flawed in a nutshell
« on: February 14, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »
 In PS when a guild wishes to war with another, both leaders must be in LOS of one another(lol), and the attacked guild gets the option to DECLINE THE ATTACKER! What a handy feature this would be!!!!

"Poland has declined Germany's invitation to war"

"The soviets decline to participate in Operation Barbarossa."

"Saddam Hussien declines the US invitation of invasion"

If you're going to include guild wars, then the option to decline has GOT to be removed. It is quite frankly utterly ridiculous.
Queen and leader of The Order of Daggers

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
Re: Guild wars, why the system is fundamentally flawed in a nutshell
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 08:38:52 pm »
I totally agree, it's dumb. I think it was added without much thought put into it a few years ago. A better system needs to be put in place. We've gotta make sure big guilds can't just attack everyone though (so the noobs don't get pwnt).

Croconil

• Hydlaa Notable
  • <3 Peacer!
    • View Profile
    • Talk Box
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:50:54 pm »
It has to be there, otherwise you will get maniac "evil" guilds murdering everyone.

Garon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 08:55:04 pm »
I totally agree, it's dumb. I think it was added without much thought put into it a few years ago. A better system needs to be put in place. We've gotta make sure big guilds can't just attack everyone though (so the noobs don't get pwnt).

No, just the other guilds.  That way, one guild could take over all of Planeshift, and you're either a member of that, or the member of a hidden guild, or dead ;)

I think it was put into place for the same reason that the whole game isn't open PvP, to prevent people from going all "ub3r-l337" and killing everybody they see in Hydlaa or Ojaveda, or the DR (*dies* *wakes up in the DR* *dies* *get called noob* *repeat until the other person gets bored* or I get pissed and quit).  So that big guilds couldn't say "Oh, a guild, KILL!" and have all the other guilds fall before the "ub3rl337/\/355" of that guild (Basically, so that RP wouldn't get screwed by a group who wants to make this the next Runescape).

lordraleigh

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 08:55:40 pm »
It has to be there, otherwise you will get maniac "evil" guilds murdering everyone.

And where would be the Octarch's Police and Military Forces?

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 10:56:59 pm »
If you're going to include guild wars, then the option to decline has GOT to be removed. It is quite frankly utterly ridiculous.

Well the entire PvP system is like that- its not very realistic, but it's like that for reasons to stop abuse, and will stay like that until a better system is devised and implemented.

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 12:20:43 am »
Well there could be a switch installed such that any guild that abuses the warring privilege could be rendered defenseless en mass by a gm command i.e. permanently at war for the duration of the punishment, permanently auto-accept and permanently incapable of retaliating until the gods punishment is lifted.

lordraleigh

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 12:23:22 am »
Well there could be a switch installed such that any guild that abuses the warring privilege could be rendered defenseless en mass by a gm command i.e. permanently at war for the duration of the punishment, permanently auto-accept and permanently incapable of retaliating until the gods punishment is lifted.

"Godly punishment" is a bad option and seems a little preposterous.

Better would be the intervention of the following ones as some kind of "UN Peacekeepers" esque:

And where would be the Octarch's Police and Military Forces?

bilbous

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 12:28:47 am »
Why have gods if they do nothing? it was, at best, a temporary solution anyway.

lordraleigh

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 12:46:11 am »
Why have gods if they do nothing? it was, at best, a temporary solution anyway.

Because then, it would break down the reason and safety for many guilds to exist if the gods realized a constant interference on the matters of the mortals. Evil guilds wouldn't exist because a god would take care of them, and the arguments about it may be raised even more, this absolute power "godly" thing is a big straightjacket to Roleplay. I mean why would exist guilds and organizations struggling for power if Yliakum was directly ruled in absolute power by Talad or Laanx?

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 12:52:10 am »

What exactly does "abuses[ing] the warring privilege" mean?  What is abuse?  How many wars is too many? What if they are roleplaying a guild that is constantly at war??  The GM's have enough to police already without having to look after "abuse of the warring privilege".  Even if you could only say, have one automatic war, a group of people could simply make a guild, declare war on a newbie guild, kill them all, then dissolve the guild and make a new one, and repeat.  High level characters could easily wreck havoc like this, and it wouldn't even be abuse under the strictest definition that you started with.  There need to be proper, thought out mechanisms in place to prevent abuse, not just "we'll step in and ban/stop anyone 'abusing' it".

bilbous

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 12:56:28 am »
Bad ideas sometimes trigger good ideas, no ideas are useless.

lordraleigh

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 01:08:15 am »
Bad ideas sometimes trigger good ideas, no ideas are useless.

I still stand for the idea of the Octarchs having a "Peacekeeping" group that will intervene once certain guilds start wreaking havoc just like the RW United Nations(That would require either a very developed NPC AI or lots of available GMs). Although better ideas may come on this thread.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 05:51:14 am »
Until you have a mechanism that guarantees murderers and such are pursued by the guard, you can't afford having auto accept in guild wars and challenges. Because that would make the game not realistic. And a hack n slash heaven. You'll have all these morons that don't even know they're at a MMORPG kicking people's butt in a town where there should be someone protecting the villagers.

PvP is not that important. People make a great fuss over it and even go as far as making it the objective and prime feature of their pseudo-roleplays (that's what I call the concept of "let's have a roleplay today about chesse!"). I've seen it more than once, someone coming around with the "Power Glyph of Doom" and the "Immortal, Unaffected by Guards Slavers Of All" just to have a big fancy war in the end where people fight, people die, people live, people fight, people die, people live and nothing comes out if afterwards. Everything becomes just the way it was before the uberness had settled.

Really people. Some of you just need to expand your perspective of roleplay. Nowadays people "roleplay" fights like I roleplay Sangwa going to the tavern. Vulgar, daily, boring.
When you read a fantasy book you're not just hoping to see fights. You're also hoping to see magic, feelings, surprises and fun.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 05:57:13 am by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 11:02:12 am »
Sangwa's right.

But I also agree that the whole 'declining a guild war' thing is stupid.

But it doesn't really matter - any self-respecting RP Guild would 'auto-accept' a war. Otherwise it's bad RP. Any Guild which doesn't accept, isn't worth fighting...

Personally I think it would be fun to be the underdogs, being hunted down by a big massive guild, relying on your wits and guile to survive...