Author Topic: Guild wars, why the system is fundamentally flawed in a nutshell  (Read 7000 times)

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
Re: Guild wars, why the system is fundamentally flawed in a nutshell
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 04:52:36 pm »
In real life wars have to be agreed to legaly. So why not have a war council that decides if it is a legal war, if it is legal then it is solely between the two factions and is in decided places only. If it is illegal the war goes a head but attacking faction is open to attack from anyone and the war can take place anywhere any time.

No they don't. The current war in Iraq is seen as illegal by many people. I would argue that no war is legal.

Narure

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 05:07:37 pm »
Well im not 100% sure but i read somewhere a list of things that made a war legal. Either way the idea still stands.

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 05:10:12 pm »
I think the wars would be automatically modded by other players. if a guild gets too strong (this is with autoaccept on), wouldnt the other guilds just gang up on them? even the strongest guild can get weighed down if it gets attacked by like 50 other guilds.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 07:23:44 pm »
I think the wars would be automatically modded by other players. if a guild gets too strong (this is with autoaccept on), wouldnt the other guilds just gang up on them? even the strongest guild can get weighed down if it gets attacked by like 50 other guilds.

Not if each guild is picked off individually before they even start up. Think about it - you either join the bully guild, or you get owned. What would you choose? To the fresh-faced new player, they're going to want protection for their first steps in Yliakum. The only way the cycle would be broken is if enough oldbies banded together to put a stop to it...

Well im not 100% sure but i read somewhere a list of things that made a war legal. Either way the idea still stands.

I think you're thinking of the Geneva Convention, which nobody really pays attention to anyway...

And the War Council is just the same as the 'guards' idea, really.

Valorius Rageway

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Champion duelist of the realm
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 03:16:39 pm »
It has to be there, otherwise you will get maniac "evil" guilds murdering everyone.

Forge alliances to stop them- as in real life. That is a simple enough prescription.
Queen and leader of The Order of Daggers

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2007, 03:19:43 pm »
When he says evil he means guilds that don't know how to rp properly.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Valorius Rageway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2007, 03:21:50 pm »
Until you have a mechanism that guarantees murderers and such are pursued by the guard, you can't afford having auto accept in guild wars and challenges. Because that would make the game not realistic. And a hack n slash heaven. You'll have all these morons that don't even know they're at a MMORPG kicking people's butt in a town where there should be someone protecting the villagers.

PvP is not that important. People make a great fuss over it and even go as far as making it the objective and prime feature of their pseudo-roleplays (that's what I call the concept of "let's have a roleplay today about chesse!"). I've seen it more than once, someone coming around with the "Power Glyph of Doom" and the "Immortal, Unaffected by Guards Slavers Of All" just to have a big fancy war in the end where people fight, people die, people live, people fight, people die, people live and nothing comes out if afterwards. Everything becomes just the way it was before the uberness had settled.

Really people. Some of you just need to expand your perspective of roleplay. Nowadays people "roleplay" fights like I roleplay Sangwa going to the tavern. Vulgar, daily, boring.
When you read a fantasy book you're not just hoping to see fights. You're also hoping to see magic, feelings, surprises and fun.

Again with the RPing angle.

Why dont we all just tpye into our chat boxes? Have you good citizens never heard of alliances? Perhaps....the authority to war could only be granted by the political authority in winch area. Meaning leader of guild would both need access to winch, and the politiicos given the power to "authorize war". Instill a sizeble "war tax" that the aggressor must pay for authorization. There are many things one could place in game to act as control-mechanisms.

As far as unruly behavior and challenge "abuse", a lot of OC noobish or ignorant behavior could be policed in game by the players if upon report of OC insults and silly noob behavior the intervening GM set the disprespectful offender to auto-accept. ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:26:41 pm by Valorius Rageway »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2007, 03:26:17 pm »
Valorius, please do not double-post. You have been told this several times before - use the "Modify" button to add new information to your first post if no one has replied yet. This is forum policy.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Valorius Rageway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 03:27:04 pm »
Valorius, please do not double-post. You have been told this several times before - use the "Modify" button to add new information to your first post if no one has replied yet. This is forum policy.

There is a post between my posts, by parallo, and now by you.

Valorius- parollo- valorius- karyuu- valorius.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 03:27:57 pm »
You know what I am talking about :) I will leave it at that.

*edit*

Evidently I was mistaken - you don't. Two consecutive posts from one poster is double-posting. You don't have to reply to different people using two different posts - use one, as I merged your last two. So again, please remember the Modify button.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:31:17 pm by Karyuu »
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Croconil

• Hydlaa Notable
  • <3 Peacer!
    • View Profile
    • Talk Box
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 08:40:19 pm »

Dont try and fight back against the great Karyuu. You will always lose XD

lordraleigh

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2007, 08:50:27 pm »

Dont try and fight back against the great Karyuu. You will always lose XD

The proper wording is: Don't fight back against someone with an authority position as Moderator regarding rules unless you're Talad or a "Legendary Suppreme H4xx0r" capable of bringing down the whole Internet with some thousands of keystrokes(Legendary, because no one ever heard about one, and of course a manhunt would be organized for the legendary one who could do such thing  :P ). And I suggest you to avoid calling people in positions of authority as "great" if you do not wish to be viewed as belonging to a certain stereotype  :innocent: (Except if it was some kind of joke as I presume) .  But I have the hope that the dev team does not argue too much on things to the point of "fighting" as all hopefully are civilized.

Valorius Rageway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2007, 03:41:11 pm »
I could always just not post if my posts are so annoying. I wonder how the thousands of members of my forums have survived so many years despite this dreaded "double post" phenomenon not being rigidly controlled at my site??? And in all that time not a single member has ever complained of it(by any poster), even once.

I guess we're all just ignorant to what's "annoying". Or not...

www.a-10.org

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 03:43:58 pm by Valorius Rageway »

Croconil

• Hydlaa Notable
  • <3 Peacer!
    • View Profile
    • Talk Box
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2007, 05:14:55 pm »
The proper wording is: Don't fight back against someone with an authority position as Moderator regarding rules unless you're Talad or a "Legendary Suppreme H4xx0r" capable of bringing down the whole Internet with some thousands of keystrokes(Legendary, because no one ever heard about one, and of course a manhunt would be organized for the legendary one who could do such thing :P ). And I suggest you to avoid calling people in positions of authority as "great" if you do not wish to be viewed as belonging to a certain stereotype :innocent: (Except if it was some kind of joke as I presume) . But I have the hope that the dev team does not argue too much on things to the point of "fighting" as all hopefully are civilized.

Yeah, it was a joke :P

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2007, 05:46:23 pm »
back on topic...

how about protection for newguilds for a length of time? the it wouldnt be that much of a problem