Author Topic: Auto-Accept required for challenger  (Read 2263 times)

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Auto-Accept required for challenger
« on: March 18, 2007, 08:57:50 pm »
Idea just came to me while watching some idiot attack every newbie he saw, ignore what I said to him and reject my challenges.  Here's my idea, in order for you to challenge another player, you need to have your auto accept set to on.  This allows for people to truly RP guards, and prevents the griefing involved in open PvP.

I'd like to add more to this post detail wise, but I think it's pretty self explanatory, and can't quite seem to find a reason why it's a bad idea (Although I'm sure someone will find a reason that it is).
Jangeol Bakieck the Scarred
Dameve Angelun the Insane
Ehatihen the Cowardly Kran

shorty13

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Skiing > All
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-Accept required for challenger
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 09:00:09 pm »
If you are going where I think you are, I am 99% sure I made a topic like this.  look for a thread by me in this section and read it.  search button!
There are two types of people in this world: The Pinky and the Brain.
Which one are you?

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 09:06:58 pm »
I did a search with the keywords auto accept and challenger, along with dropping a few words and adding a few in and got nothing

Narure

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:42:06 am »
What would stop them taking it off after they have challenged?

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:52:04 am »
What would stop them taking it off after they have challenged?

A time delay would seem the sensible and frankly blindingly obvious soloution ;)

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Narure

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 11:04:31 am »
time delay from when? When the dual is finished? When the dual request is made (could be abused if it isnt accepted)? or when the dual is accepted (at which point everyone defending the defender would have their mouse poised over the attacker)?

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 06:13:46 pm »
Time delay would start from the point that you were no longer in a duel.  This is a fairly unimportant part though methinks, and would most likely be decided by the devs anyways.

Quite frankly I hope to encourage a lot of people to turn auto-accept on, it would open up so many more RP opportunities.  Assassinations just aren't fun when you have to plan it out with the victim. :P

Drahlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 07:10:28 pm »
Time delay would start from the point that you were no longer in a duel.  This is a fairly unimportant part though methinks, and would most likely be decided by the devs anyways.

Quite frankly I hope to encourage a lot of people to turn auto-accept on, it would open up so many more RP opportunities.  Assassinations just aren't fun when you have to plan it out with the victim. :P

Start a guildwar then. That's exactly how it is: See someone from the guild you're at war with, and you can attack them at will without a challenge. Of course they can attack you the the same fashion. I have some good memories from the Dwarvesbane/Dwarven Star war.

-Drahlian

Eila

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 08:16:55 pm »
Start a guildwar then.

This is different.
KohnBosk's suggestion is an excellent one to solve another type of issue. Let me set the context - this is what actually happened.

Eila was crafting peacefully at the cursed anvil by harnquist's when she hears a body hit the ground.
She turns to realize that a defenseless, clueless newcomer has been struck down.
Perhaps because the new-comer didn't know any better? A moment of inattention? Regardless...

The hereby-unnamed coward who did the deed was challenged (and refused, again, it wasn't the first time).
He nonetheless walks away calmly with not much more than a warning and a few insults thrown at him.

His only response to our RP was "give me a break!".
( A few instants later Laanx did strike him down - nice touch, but... )
For the sake of RP, when a situation like this arises, i would have wellcomed a system that allowed me to engage him.

A timer triggered at end of his duel with his victim would solve this issue.

Eila

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 10:35:26 pm »
Start a guildwar then. That's exactly how it is: See someone from the guild you're at war with, and you can attack them at will without a challenge. Of course they can attack you the the same fashion. I have some good memories from the Dwarvesbane/Dwarven Star war.

-Drahlian
And how does this solve anything if the other person is unguilded?  Doesn't the other guild have to accept anyways?  How does this solve the fact that so many so called RPers like to pick and chose who they fight, basically fighting anyone they can beat and refusing to do so against anyone they can't?  Did you even read the post?

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 10:42:18 pm »
Start a guildwar then.

That's completely different from what he's talking about.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

lordraleigh

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 12:22:19 am »
Once there are AI-controlled guards on the streets that will nab anyone who plays the "1337 n00b killer" and kill them or put them on a jail, the need of restraining PvP will become mostly obsolete. And anyway, as there is a "backstab" skill, I doubt a murderer would challenge someone for a duel before backstabbing this one and the current system is definitively a placeholder.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 12:26:48 am »
AI controlled guards... I'm sure those will be along soon

Narure

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »
How does this solve the fact that so many so called RPers like to pick and chose who they fight, basically fighting anyone they can beat and refusing to do so against anyone they can't? 

The way to solve this is easy... Dont have to only outcome of a dual being death. If you got in fight with someone in real life would you go out to kill them? Probably just to hurt them i think.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 08:54:26 pm »
If you get into a fight with someone using swords I'm pretty sure someone ends up dead :P

But while I do agree with you Narure, for starters that's already planned to be implimented as far as I know, and it also doesn't really work to remedy the problem, just lessens it.