Author Topic: Godmodding prevention.  (Read 2085 times)

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
Godmodding prevention.
« on: April 29, 2007, 03:48:52 am »
What i think is a solid reason to implement open PvP is that it helps RP's in such a way that it gives equal control to the assalting and defending parties. It should definatly be put in game in such a way that in most cases the risk greatly out wieghs the reward for attacking people. In real life (and I have seen it stated that you are aiming for realism) fights happen ALL the time. Rarely fatal, and neither should they be in planeshift, but they happen. What happens alot in planeshift is that the person being attacked will just walk away for no good reason other than the conflict doesnt beifit their character. So In a sense we are gods. Our characters cant be touched unless we want them to, we are all untouchables :P open PvP would give a sense of mortality so players would be forced to RP accordingly. But not everyone is here to RP and will just use it to grief, I here you cry. Well thats just a matter of how its implemented, not a reason not to implement it at all.

• Non-leathal combat
  • Have new players be 'protected by talad' for their first few hours of play. Krans get an hour longer as a race bonus?
  • Have the risk greatly out wiegh the reward, gaurds, jail etc.
  • Carrying weapons in a public area in a city bounds will have you automaticaly arrested (after a warning) If spotted by gaurds. This means any fights that do break out will most likely be fist fights and more likely than not non-leathal as before it gets to that point another player/NPC will interviene

Thank you for reading  :flowers:
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Avadon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Godmodding prevention.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:38:10 pm »
Brandishing weapons should be illegal, keeping them sheathed or out of sight should be required in any area that has guards at the public entrances or exits.
Set different timers for different areas; when a fight breaks out guards will arrive after a period of time and break up the fight.  Guards patrolling one area can only respond to one fight at a time, this would allow for distraction fights.  If multiple fights occur then the guards will go to the more dangerous fight, if weapons are used or not, if the guards are already at a fist fight and then a sword fight occurs after the time period the guards will leave the fist fight, leaving it up to the players to the end it, and will go to the fight including weapons.

Illyria

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...Or here?
    • View Profile
    • Socii Acerbus Socii guildhouse
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:54:26 pm »
Also, "non-lethal' Fight are way better to just RP then to act them out ;)
Cause we can't fight yet with liquor mugs and such :P (for drunken battles)
Or just b**ch fight, we can't pull hairs :(
But we CAN when we RP it ;)

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 02:38:10 pm »
Well I'm talkign about proper fights, not bitch fights and drunken battles.

Illyria

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...Or here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:59:36 pm »
Well I'm talkign about proper fights, not bitch fights and drunken battles.
Ehmm:
In real life (and I have seen it stated that you are aiming for realism) fights happen ALL the time. Rarely fatal, and neither should they be in planeshift, but they happen. What happens alot in planeshift is that the person being attacked will just walk away for no good reason other than the conflict doesnt beifit their character.
Then What kinda "non-drunk, non-bitch-fights" are you talking about? Those except from demonstrations growing (which is the same only larger) outta hand and murders Are all kinda fights I know  ;)
[Yeah i also mean Bitch fight in a manly kinda way, they (almost) always have them "What are you looking at heh?""Wanna piece of me huh?"  *bitch fight*

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 03:38:59 pm »
Im talking about the kind of things bitch fights and drunken fights can lead to. Punch ups. Not pulling hair and waving mugs at each other.

Illyria

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...Or here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 03:47:07 pm »
Im talking about the kind of things bitch fights and drunken fights can lead to. Punch ups. Not pulling hair and waving mugs at each other.
Punch up? That's kinda fall under mine category of bitch fights  :D
And I wasn't talking about waving mugs, more about smashing them on someone head [which could be lethal DO NOT try this EVER]

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 03:59:47 pm »
Either way, not every little scenario can be simulated by game mechanics but I dont think 'It can be RPed' is a reason against having such a broad thing as part of the game.

Illyria

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...Or here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 04:04:40 pm »
Either way, not every little scenario can be simulated by game mechanics but I dont think 'It can be RPed' is a reason against having such a broad thing as part of the game.
It's not that "It can be RPed"
It's about That RP is better... I mean what is nicer "You see a PS style fight" or "/me thrusts her paw into Feline's face in anger 'I drink when and where Ever I want you trepor .. trepor... feeler thingie!' [<-- drunk] /me awaits Feline's action"

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 04:19:54 pm »
It is a 3D computer game. Not a RP chat room. Sure RP is a big part of it, but it should go hand in hand with good mechanics. The more mechanics are used the more evenly shared the control of the RP is. It stops people doing the old /me jumps 300 bizzilion metres into the air and plumets down on you with all the force of 60 elephants because you say "ya.... not so much" and hit the attack button.

Illyria

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...Or here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 02:33:43 am »
It is a 3D computer game. Not a RP chat room. Sure RP is a big part of it, but it should go hand in hand with good mechanics. The more mechanics are used the more evenly shared the control of the RP is. It stops people doing the old /me jumps 300 bizzilion metres into the air and plumets down on you with all the force of 60 elephants because you say "ya.... not so much" and hit the attack button.
Only lame people do that sort of stuff, and again Even Oblivion doesn't have a "|bitch fight" mechanism, it would have to have too many variables, Like people throwing with chairs, running away, saying things... NOw that last can't be in the mechanics And that's what a "bitchfight" is all about, else it would just be a 'normal' fight without death, That doen't happen unless you're talking about purposeless violence... And that is just some to not to encourage!
You can't really put the RP ion the Mechs at this points ;) or it should be turn based, with every hit you have the option to say something :P

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 02:04:25 pm »
Why do you assume any fight other than a bitch fight will be to the death? Street fights very rarely end in death. Whether this is frequent or not in planeshift depends on how macho the society is, which depends on the players. Either way, i think the option for a PvP fight should be there without both parties accepting. Because both parties will rarley accept when they can go without.

Avadon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 02:30:24 pm »
Here's my solution to this issue.
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=28631.0
If you want to RP a fight and let nothing permanent come from it.  So be it.  The guards don't want to waste time on small fights anyway.
If you want to actually affect the person permanently challenge them, or lure them into an alley or other area and slice them up.  Just be prepared for the consequences.

Illyria

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...Or here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 02:39:04 pm »
Why do you assume any fight other than a bitch fight will be to the death? Street fights very rarely end in death. Whether this is frequent or not in planeshift depends on how macho the society is, which depends on the players. Either way, i think the option for a PvP fight should be there without both parties accepting. Because both parties will rarley accept when they can go without.
:@#\ Street fights are Bitch fights, anuy fight which doesn't lead to death (Or MAJOR injuries, non-recoverable)
And that last sentence...
So because someone 'rarely' give hers/his money to me when you can go on living without doing it, it should be implemented?
It's just not fair! If you train you're stronbg, if you don't you're weak.. Only in PS this difference is BIG very very BIG.
If this what you wants comes true... Powerlvlers will be able to cripple everyone, interupt them when they are busy or AFK? I mean
"HAIL! Oh great way to annoy people till they leave!"

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 03:15:18 pm »
Did you read the first post. The second part of it answers why people wont just go round killing people 'because they can'.

Your definition of bitch fight seems to vary greatly from mine. To claify, when i talk about PvP I mean the type of fighting we have now. Except I imagine it as non-lethal. Anyway back the point, that being that open PvP would benifit RP (which is the point of the game) greatly if implemented in an effective way, which is entirely possible.