Author Topic: Player Guards  (Read 1299 times)

elathas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Player Guards
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:18:43 am »
I personally think that with all these "Guard Guilds" around, why not just leave it to the players to guard the cities, roads, and other place where people could get attacked. If anyone is attacked and there isn't a guard nearby, then he or she can shout for help. People who have been PK'ing a lot can be added to a wanted list.

Think of it this way, in real life, just because you can attack someone without challenging him doesn't mean you would attack him.

Another thing to note is that the most experienced and most powerful players are the ones that would help protect weaker players who are attacked by lunatic newbies on a PK'ing spree.

Of course, it would really help if the combat was more balanced so that a few newbies would be able to take on an experienced player.

Maju

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Player Guards
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 12:58:07 pm »
It could lead to corruption... I fear. The player guards could become abusive. I distrust the "good guys" at least as much as the "evil" ones.

Nevertheless, player guards could exist as private guards if thieving is implemented. They would only have power against thieves, naturally.

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 02:04:19 pm »
actually I have usually found when creating havoic if somone shouts for gaurds or even for help lots of players will come running to see whats going on...
* Izzabella sneakes away into the shadows...

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 02:28:55 pm »
It could lead to corruption... I fear.

This is true. However its not very "real" to think that its immpossible for Hydlaa's guards to have at least one corrupt member. Infact there should be at least one sneaky npc invovled in the guard. That is realistic.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

elathas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 02:37:27 pm »
Sorry for the late response.

It could lead to corruption... I fear. The player guards could become abusive. I distrust the "good guys" at least as much as the "evil" ones.

Sure it would lead to corruption in some cases. Isn't that the case in real life? However, I don't think such corruption will be widespread. Of course, some "Guards" might become an oppressive regime. But what stops people from overthrowing them? As I said earlier, the most powerful players are the most helpful.

actually I have usually found when creating havoic if somone shouts for gaurds or even for help lots of players will come running to see whats going on...
* Izzabella sneakes away into the shadows...

Of course, you could sneak away into the shadows, but you wouldn't be able to set foot in Hydlaa after that without paying for your crimes. Everyone would know: "Izzabella is a rogue!"

Edit: decided to add the following quote from the maker of the PvP mines thread, because he says what I am thinking myself.

Exactly! And this is where players come in. Do we want to rp everything with an 'imaginary government' all the time? There are people like knights, mercenaries, robbers and so on. So just let them play.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 02:46:24 pm by elathas »

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 02:51:18 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing GMs take up a hand in guarding, although that's a bit much to ask.  But, regular players?

I can't think of a system that would make this feasible.

Every time the playerbase has tried to form some kind of law enforcement it has degraded into vigilantes working with nothing more than rumors and guild names :P
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Crj

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 03:30:49 pm »
How is combat where a newbie can take on an advanced player balanced?
Can a computer-nerd take on a professional boxer?

As i see it, the NPC guards dont have a practical role, but are there to add variety to the setting and serve as quest-givers and such. In my opinion, players cant successfuly create a fully functional govermental structure in the game for a long period of time(half-year or longer). Im sure most of the guard guilds wouldnt want to just patrol the lonly roads endlessly to guard some newbies, who have wanderd off into dangerous teritory. Note that im only talking about long term commitment here.
A new day, a new failure!

elathas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 04:15:37 pm »
I'm just talking about cities, not dangerous territory. And of course, they could impose tolls at the city gates if they wanted to fund their armies.