Author Topic: Simpler Races  (Read 1113 times)

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Simpler Races
« on: October 04, 2002, 04:26:27 pm »
I noticed in the Character setup page, that each race has bonuses and minuses for certain things like a Kran might have a -10 bonus for Intelligence but a +10 for Strength. Why not just make things simple, without the bonuses? The Kran could be the only race to climb sheer rock facings, so only they could get to certain villages or Dungeons. Those Aqua-Elves are the only ones that can breathe underwater, so the same kindof applies. Then there\'s the Dwarves. They could be the only race to go REAL deep into caverns and stuff, while not being destroyed by the heat. The Lemurs could be the only race that undrstood all languages and speak them. On that note, I think that all races should have differant languages until your character learns that language, until thn they could understand a few words here and there. So only Krans could understand Krans, and Those cat-things could understand other cat-things.

Krovikan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2002, 06:17:16 pm »
about the language stuff...
that wouldn\'t be such a great idea i think...
and how would that be implemented in the game?
all the chatmessages would be filtered by race or what?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2002, 06:17:32 pm by Krovikan »

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2002, 07:27:29 pm »
That might be workable, actually. The question is whether it is desirable. I actually think it very well might be. *shrug* When you talk you pick your language, and only people who know the language can understand you. We could even work it like in FF10, which, though it was amazingly inacurate from a linguistics point of view, still gave a very good impression of the feel of listening to a language you only half understand. And even if people start to figure out the mappings, well, if you sit down and seriously pick at a sentance you heard in a language you only kind of know, you can get more information out of it. I think it has the potential to be really cool.

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Ingame languages
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2002, 04:38:26 am »
simpler races...plz no.
Because of these differences you have to make choices for your future, just like in real life. Its no fun if every1 has the same abillities, with the special abillities and weaknesses it makes the game much greater.

I do like the idea for the different languages. as a young player you not onlu need to explore the world, but also the different races you will encounter.
You will only understand some basic words.  A sentenced like; \"Can i have a beer, please?\" can look like: \"Can e duhfs s beer, duhf?\"
The more u interact with players with another language the more u will learn (goes automaticly).
It is possible, but its probably not needed.

In the history of PS is written that most races already live a long time next to eachother, this will mean that they know eachothers language. What maybe is possible, is saying the formed an universal language in Yliakum. Every1 understands that one, but each race also got his own native language (just like were all talking english here, but we also speak our own language. Dutch for me for instance...). And to understand those native languages, you need to learn them.

This can give the game even more depth, and again makes the library very usefull (translating, etc..)

-Xolon-

Tolren

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 11:43:52 am »
I think thats a great ideal with the diffrent abilitys and languages that would make the game harder so you will play alot longer just trying to get the languages correst and i get very addicted to mmrpgs so ps team i think you should test the possibilities of the first game to have many diffrent languages that you have to learn to understand ;)

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2002, 05:32:03 pm »
I must admit to playing quite a bit of Final Fantasy X, and David\'s comments were spot on about the system they have there - it seems fairly simple but works really well.

Language differences could add an interesting extra element to gameplay, with perhaps a common dialect which everyone could speak and then race specific dialects which eventually can be learned as skills (EDIT - I just realised I really just echoed exactly what you said Xolon ;)). This could encourage greater amounts of team play if incorporated into quests, and who knows, translators could even be a profitable occupation ;)

As for simpler races, I like the diversity of the races - no need for everyone to be the same.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2002, 05:34:32 pm by Kada-El »

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2002, 05:45:17 pm »
Originally posted by Kada-El
As for simpler races, I like the diversity of the races - no need for everyone to be the same.

Exactly right, whats the use of having different races if their just gonna be almost the same? might as well just be the same race then, not much of a point then, except you look a little different.......

Ognamus

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 08:02:09 pm »
Originally posted by David_HD
That might be workable, actually. The question is whether it is desirable. I actually think it very well might be. *shrug* When you talk you pick your language, and only people who know the language can understand you. We could even work it like in FF10, which, though it was amazingly inacurate from a linguistics point of view, still gave a very good impression of the feel of listening to a language you only half understand. And even if people start to figure out the mappings, well, if you sit down and seriously pick at a sentance you heard in a language you only kind of know, you can get more information out of it. I think it has the potential to be really cool.

That works rather well in actually RPgs, but most MMORPG players would be pissed off about it..... Heh, if you can stand muds I\'d seggest looking at how Dae Dal Macabre does it :))

Vildaar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2002, 09:29:22 am »
I think this comes up in every RPG/MMORPG, you see, you have to decide whether you play a game for gameplay, or if you play it for roleplay. I think the latter is far more popular, and even though this is intended to be a roleplaying game, i don\'t think it would be entirely wise to force players to speak only one language. Imagine you are new, your friend introduced you to this game, he/she has playing for a while now, but you cannot talk to him/her ingame because of the language problem. You could put in the option of choosing what language you speak, depending on your knowledge (you would learn new ones as you travelled and did quests and such) But there should be one language everyone understands so that communication is available. But these are just my opinions.
PlaneShift  - Rules Department

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2002, 12:53:21 am »
All the game would need is macros like CTRL+P could make your char point at something, while CTRL+S could make your char shake his fists in anger. Gesturing to communicate, It would make things like real life. As for the idea of simper races, they would still be differant Krans would be slower and stronger, while elves were quicker but slightly weaker, but I think if this were put in the game, it would REALLY make you think of what race you wanted to be.

Pheonix

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2002, 02:21:35 am »
What if the language challenges were only in books ?

I mean its viable to think that each culture with the exception of maybe the Kran have written books in their native language.
Since thats plausible you should not be able to goto a library as say a Dwarf and be able to read a book written in Elvish.

The only problem i could see with this is finding time to develop new languages, although they could take some pre-existing fictional languages and implement them.

IE Sythian Strayhash as an Elvin text

Uuma quena en\'mani lle ume (ri\'mani lle umaya). (Uma ta ar\'lava ta quena ten\'irste\'.)

JOIN BISM    
Hunters of Hel    

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2002, 04:55:47 pm »
That would be cool. I realize that the races will all work at differant paces, but if the game focused on differant abilites that couldn\'t be learned except languages, then it could mean thee differance of if you got to visit the Palace of Fire or thee Teemple of Aquaria. If you were a Kran you most cetainly wouldn\'t be able to go underwater, but you could probably climb rocks that others couldn\'t.

Ognamus

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2002, 12:34:44 am »
Um..... hello? Ever heard of a COMMON TONGUE! Everyone would be capable of speaking it, though each race in each region will have their own languages that they could also use...... You know, like those foreing cooks in resturaunts do when they serve you rat and laugh at you behind your back ;)

Btw, I\'m really sick of the idiots who go around thrashing ideas because they think it would be \'too hard\' or \'too annoying\' or \'too complicated\' or \'what? I don\'t want to have to actually do anything to be uber strong! you sox!\'
 X(

That\'s also the reason why there\'s no way in hell I\'ll even consider playing WoW........

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2002, 01:57:07 am »
Chill man. We didn\'t say anything about anything being to hard or not wanting to put effort into their character. Umm Hello? Ever heard of dead languages? The idea of everyone speaking the same shouldn\'t make sense. The races are so differant that if the story of Ylikium wasn\'t already set out, it wouldn\'t make sense that they all spoke the same. As far as being sick of idea thrashers, isn\'t it a bit hipocritical to thrash an idea on this post? Do you hate yourself? I don\'t want it to be EASY, I want to feel like each race is substantially differant from the other, instead of just looking differant. You really should think before you flame.

By the way. Whats wrong with eating rats?

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2002, 08:07:19 pm »
Originally posted by Fantasyfiend
By the way. Whats wrong with eating rats?

Because rats are disease-ridden vermin.