Author Topic: Running  (Read 383 times)

Kortalh

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Running
« on: April 02, 2003, 06:23:22 pm »
First, I should say that Planeshift is awesome. =)

I do have a suggestion, though...

As it is, when you press and hold either shift key, you run rather than walk. I would suggest perhaps making the shift key toggle the runmode on or off, rather than requiring that you hold it down.

Why? Well, perhaps it\'s just a matter of personal preference, but the less keys I have to use, the happier I am as a gamer.  :)

I did a search and didn\'t see anything related to this, so I apologize if it\'s been mentioned.

Kahlisi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 06:38:56 pm »
The \'r\' key toggles a run/walk mode.   :))
The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Kinoss

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 06:49:24 pm »
Thats not what he meant Kahlisi, What he wants is to be able to press the shift key once then running is toggled. If he lets go of the forward key his character stops running, when he presses the forward key his character starts running. The \"r\" key isnt like this, the \"r\" key make you constantly run forward. Kortlalh wants to be able to have running on when he presses a button, not that he wants to run forward always.

Kahlisi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 08:40:54 pm »
Originally posted by Kortalh
As it is, when you press and hold either shift key, you run rather than walk. I would suggest perhaps making the shift key toggle the runmode on or off, rather than requiring that you hold it down.

Kinoss, to me it sounded like Kortalh was asking for a way to not hold down the Shift key all the time.  I understand about a Toggle Run/Walk mode - I\'ve been gaming for many years - and the importance it carries.  He made no mention of the arrow keys, just Shift.  :))

Currently, the \'r\' key right now is the only way anyone can toggle a quasi-run/walk mode.  Perhaps it will be changed in the future, I don\'t know, I\'m Settings and shall not put my foot in my mouth.  It is a good suggestion, one I plan on pointing out to the Team.
The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Kortalh

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 04:35:04 pm »
Aye, I meant what Kinoss said, though an auto-run function is handy as well.

What I meant was that the toggle changed the Forward key to \'Run Forward\' instead of \'Walk Forward\'. That way you still have total control over your movement, but your movement just happens to be running. =)

On the other hand, I\'ve always had a rather firm belief that running for extended periods should be penalized. I play EverQuest occasionally, and it never, ever makes sense to me when a player can run from Freeport (the far eastern city) to Qeynos (the far western city) without so much as slowing down the whole way.

I\'ve always felt that running should be used for escape purposes, or other important things - and it lasts for about 30-90 seconds, depending on stamina. After which you have to slow down and regain your energy.

Anyhow... I\'ve swayed quite a ways from the topic. =)