Author Topic: My thoughts on enchanting&smithing  (Read 2797 times)

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
My thoughts on enchanting&smithing
« on: January 30, 2002, 06:27:55 am »
Everyone seems to be looking for an answer im not sure if this one im just thinking off the top of my head.

first of all No I repeat copper bronze weapons unless we live in a time period that doesnt have better metals if we have better metals then they would be used in smithing of weapons&armors.
However there would still be simply bronze copper tin items that could be made to gain smithing experience such items would be basic fluff adornments and such im sorry but i have smithed before in real life and understand a little about it.
Also I have a feeling that dwarves will be the best people suited to the tasks of smithing but not the only ones.

Neways
Iron I believe should be the first that you make weapons and armors out of

some of the items needed for this furnace, anvil, hammer tongs, apron, gloves, buckets of water ,forming casts ,as well as the metal itself and bellows,salt
it wouldnt be a click click system but would go on percentages % of your smithing ability that would raise as you went up levels.You could smith more and more as you got better and better .
Here is the basic way you would smith using the ore in the furnace you would begin refining the ore (this would take a bit of time )while doing this you work the bellows make sure theres plenty of logs and such to keep the fire going (giving jobs to loggers)(as well as having a job for apprentices you might take on in the future)You know the abled body people that nothing is wrong with them but they got no money or way to make it )anyways keeping the fire hot you would melt down the ore or ores more ores making bigger bars that you would pour the molten liquid into the bar casts (then letting it cool)while there cooling from you pouring them in or an apprentice you would have leisure time to work on other bars you have already made also you could have the apprentice keep runnign the bellows and keeping the fire good and hot while you smith ,anyways you would then take the bar whatever size or bars and using the tongs place it into the coals letting it heat while pulling it back out and beating a shape with the hammer plunging it into the buckets and back out oh and buckets of sand too .
Now there would be a chance for success while making these items and a chance for failure but for basic items and such if you failed and noticed it you could simply reuse the metal smelt it again.

Now with regards to enchanting you would go through the same circles however there would be different powders,dust,potions,and spells needed as well as very high smithing lvls

different items would need different things to make them work

perhaps also there could just simply be enchanting potions you smith the metal or have someone smith it for you pour on the potion and cast the spells into it or use different items to make the same kind of effect a spell caster could do .

hmm let me think about this somemore and i\'ll repost
I think im onto something concerning spells and alchemy perhaps there could be various ways of enchanting items

IHS

• Traveller
    • View Profile
sounds cool.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2002, 07:42:29 am »
i like the ideas. i agree with pretty much everything but i dont think there should be a limit for the armour and stuff.. i mean the metal you make your armour from.

dont forget, that in the begging of the game, we will all be newbies that have like 3gp. it wont be like other games, we have to start everythign all over again. . .

so i think you should always think of the newcommers, they will have to start on bronze or leather or something newbish like that, and only then will grow to advanced metals, like platinum or holy stone or so.

the more variety of weapons, the more the game would be interasting.

all taking in concideration the space on the PS servers .

oh, and one more thing - i dono do you think all metals are avilable to be enchanced? i mean... maybe we should have just like one metal \"Holy stone\" or some other name , which could be enchanced. and holy stone items grow from been as good as bronze, till amazing weapons like platinum. but platinum holy stones items which could be enchanced are very rare and you can only get them from lvl 6 very high and dangerous monsters.

Malastare

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2002, 07:49:21 am »
they are all great ideas, Lenric i like u creativeness

Ohtar the Kran  

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
well im not done thinking yet but
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2002, 08:09:32 am »
I can answer that question and thanx guys for the support :-)

What I mean about iron holds true for the most part and bronze yes we wont start with much but rember we are starting in a city.

So we might start with a loan or something who knows a few basic items and such

Neways what i mean about bronze is were gonna be in a civilazation that has iron and such in the past bronze and such might of been created but has outlived its usefulness regarding weapons (purely from a rpg point of view)it would not make sense to continue smithing it into weapons an such also i can see making tons of different types of armors were underground after all tons of metals and such to work with.

iron
steel
silver
gold
mithril
adamantite
platinum
electrum
copper
tin
bronze
brass
mithril
and other magical metals
also
leather
bamboo
hides
scales
an such to work with I dont think there will be any shortage in the area of making armor
heck you could even add gem armors
sapphire
diamond
ruby
emerald
an such there are endless resources that we will find for this
I have a feeling that items made out of wood and animals might be more scarce than any out of metals perhaps not as powerful but look at the area were in how do we keep livestock..blah thats another part of my brain nevermind ..lol

now bronze might still be made into the first metal as the game designers wish it so let it be.

However it will become a metal for novel items i got me a bronze,tin,copper,brass,whatever brooch or medallion or i can work it on my wizards staff or something because copper makes a good conduit like silver but in magical speaking these other metals arent so good and so on

post more later

Dwinney

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2002, 09:41:39 am »
Cool ideas, lenric. But you mentioned mithril twice :D and i think gem armours should only be available to people who donate money to the game, and the gems are for decoration ONLY (no special stats).

Btw, pls use punctuation in your posts, it\'s very hard to read them especially since they\'re so long :(
When our hearts both beat in time,
There\'s magic in your smile,
It seems there\'s nothing we can\'t do.

And within your warm embrace,
My heart will find a place,
Even from afar,
Our love forever shall be, destiny.

Excerpt from L2EB  

IHS

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2002, 02:39:37 pm »
yeah i agree , i cant read what u write lenric ;)

but anyways Gems cost money on armour.. ? geee..  i dono. it could catch on, if a clan says \"if u want to join our clan, u have to wear a red ruby on your armour\".
then, the leader of the clan pays, and then he can decide who\'s worthy of wearing a red ruby on his armour..

or, we can do the same with tatoos.. or some sign on your armour. maybe there would be like 20-30 pre-defined tatoos or signs, and the rest can be player-made signs that to be implented in the game, you haveto pay, but u can still decide who can and who cant wear those signs.

Tearlach t'an Ailech fin Leros

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2002, 05:20:30 pm »
Silver and gold is to fragile to use to weapons and armor, silver could be used but bronze is better and cheaper, as said tree and hides is scrace in an underground world. Gem armors is not good either, yes Diamonds is the most durable material that we know of but you can\'t smith them into one piece meaning that some of them would fly off for every slsh you get in on the unlucky (albeit rich) one.
About enchanting i would say that such items could only be found through quests (the needed rituals are long lost.... (of course, just my opinion)).
Join The Order Of The Hand .
The rules are being updated, mail me if you are interested in knowing them.
\"Down in their hearts, wise men know this truth: the only way to help yourself is to help others.\"
Never take life seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway.

antonio842

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2002, 06:47:02 pm »
(firsts of all, lenric has good ideas and puts them in the same post, oh well at least he doesnt break um up and stick them on diff threads like some)

second i think that clans should be able to tint the color of their armor (change the color or somthing like that) that way it is easy to distinquish allys from enimies and so on

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
hmm
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2002, 08:01:30 pm »
Originally posted by Tearlach t\'an Ailech fin Leros
Silver and gold is to fragile to use to weapons and armor, silver could be used but bronze is better and cheaper, as said tree and hides is scrace in an underground world. Gem armors is not good either, yes Diamonds is the most durable material that we know of but you can\'t smith them into one piece meaning that some of them would fly off for every slsh you get in on the unlucky (albeit rich) one.
About enchanting i would say that such items could only be found through quests (the needed rituals are long lost.... (of course, just my opinion)).

Silver and gold in weapons is not at all what i mean but silver could be used in some weapons but i more or less mean for adornment or weapons and such imagine if you will there are lycanthropes(werewolves) like Diaboli and how there hurt by magic or blessed weapons .

Hmm.. silver weapons anyone in game worlds there are always certain creatures that cannot be harmed unless certain items and such are used.

Also gem armor can be used but the proper way of making it would be incredible in how hard it was In a table top game I remeber a Diamond armor that was the most powerful armor you could ever hope to find .

As for quests I agree with you to a point But not that the needed rituals are long lost but that they havent been found yet but i think anyone could find such items now knowing what to do with these items is a totaly different area.

Btw Im still not done thinking about enchanting laws and such
« Last Edit: January 30, 2002, 08:05:07 pm by Lenric »

whitti

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2002, 08:18:05 pm »
Those are some great ideas. Remember, we dont JUST need metal armor. Leather armor, created from cow/ sheep or whatever other animal\'s hide is cool. Also fur coats are a neat idea, and could be sold for a large amount of money. Wool could be taken from sheep, spun and made into other more ordinary clothes. Other materials can be made too, like dragon hide armor.

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2002, 09:05:29 pm »
Yeah I always prefered strong Light armors that one could move around in rather than large bulky im gonna drown armors and what do you mean I cant run as fast as that person im only wearing 200 or so lbs.

Ok cows, sheep ,do you have a listing of any different animals that you are planning on .
With some sort of list of what to expect im sure we can think of some things you can use that wont be to complicated also were aware I hope that this wont be a complete list.

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
New Avitar
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2002, 10:08:33 pm »
Still working on enchanting concepts and wanted to check out my new signature
This Signature created by Jandryl Lytehand!
E-Mail: smkennedy@homelessresources.com
« Last Edit: February 06, 2002, 10:12:39 pm by Lenric »

eruinn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2002, 10:53:41 pm »
nice :D
:D RS all d way :D
59 main
34 pure
25 pure
20 mage
14 mage

Montenegro

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2002, 01:37:52 am »
Nickel darnit!!  I want to be able to make nickel-alloy plate!  Nickel is some hard stuff, but since we\'re going to be using alot of steel, why not nickel too?  I was too hard for people in the past to smelt, but so was steel on a regular basis (check out the other smithing thread for a link I have to a sort of history on it, and why bronze and iron working coexisted for over a thousand years).  Nickel is just much more rare than iron ore, and so is much more expensive for the ore.
All right you primitive screwheads!  Listen up!

ninkwi njadro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
i dont care
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2002, 06:36:43 pm »
i couldn\'t care less about how the weapons are made. as long as i can use them.

i like the idea of a logo on your armor. the dragonhide armor is a good idea to but this should be very rare and super strong. U try takin the hide of a dragon without the beast noticing  :D  good luck.

and mithril isn\'t that the very light strong metal?? from lord of the rings?? great movie by the way  :D