Author Topic: Shuffle the Music  (Read 324 times)

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Shuffle the Music
« on: December 26, 2003, 11:25:50 pm »
Come CB, there will be a larger world.
All the music in Planeshift r0xx (except dungeon music) but some of it doesn\'t fit (town should be happier music I think).
When you make the music for CB, if one thing fits more than another n a place, I encourage you to move music around and change it and stuff.

frumbert

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
dynamic music
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 04:29:04 pm »
a lot of games now use a system similar to the microsoft directmusic engine. this system is basically a series of musical themes (motifs), each potentially having different sub-themes and instruments. Over time, the system merges from one motif to another either randomly or via in-game triggers (such as being seen by a monster, entering a town, etc). Another style of in-game music is MOD files (more compatible). These can also be split up into motifs (a few games use this: from memory both unreal tournament and deus ex used mods) by utilising loop points.

I favour a dynamic music engine over an ogg player for in-game music as you can have it on for longer, and it gives you a better \"blend\" of music, rather than just a track for town, a track for fighting, a track for exploring, etc.

Tylyu

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 08:26:04 pm »
Well you can also judiciately do with fading.

If you take as an example Settlers 4, there\'re only 3 themes : World, Fight, Sea.
When you get to fight, the music perfectly fades to fighting music, and when battle\'s over (or if you move screen away from battle), then it\'s fading back to the former one.

Of course, that game ain\'t a reference, but it\'s a way to get the music sound like it\'s dynamic but with a quite lighter implementation.
Trees are our Breath-makers, we shan\'t spoil them.
Stones are our Memory, we shall learn from them.
Knowledge is our Pride, we can\'t forget it.

T?anith - Prophet of the Northern Elves  

Harwen

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 03:23:30 pm »
Yeah, I think that Davis and Frumbert were looking for two things that is a must, variety and dynamic(...ness?) in the music.

I agree with Frumbert on the MOD files method of music sub-themes and motifs as they\'d certainly keep me awake at late hours of the night. I certainly enjoyed the music implementation in dues ex :]

(could someone PM me about where they got the music they have now? I don\'t want to get off topic :) )