Author Topic: PlaneShift & public relations - an analysis  (Read 1877 times)

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
PlaneShift & public relations - an analysis
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:13:16 am »
So I played around with google trends a bit. Here's what it has in store for PS. Feel free to discuss and enhance my analysis.

The overall interest in PS looks like this

Easy enough, PS was at its peak back in '07, however, it has largely fallen into oblivion with now interest less than 1% than what it was at the peak. Now, let's break this down a bit.

Here's what the geographical interest distribution looks like:

Interestingly, this suggests that interest in PS is somewhat localized, probably due to local communities (like the German community).

Another factor we can look at is statistics for individual countries.

Here's what the UK/Germany/France's statistics look like (I took Germany's par example, but the others are the same)

Of interest here is the essential drop to zero at the end of '09.

The next pattern includes Canada/Brazil/Italy/Spain

A series of peaks, nothing else.

And lastly, we got the US

Note the sharp drop to zero at the end of last year.

So what does this all mean? Well, for me, it indicates PlaneShift gets around by word of mouth and local communities as the geographical distribution is highly localized (twice as many people talking searching for it in Montreal than in LA). Note the trend for mainland Europe. Clearly, PS had an active interest (=community) in Germany, France and the UK until the end of 2009 (when the server was offline), which killed the interest in the local community.
In countries such as Brazil/Italy and Spain, PS never even gained a big foothold and raises an eyebrow or two a few times, but was quickly forgotten.
And in the US, PS is now as unpopular as ever before.

I wonder, does PS do any active PR? Clearly, we need to raise interest in PS, as this isn't just due to people not liking the game, but rather people not googling the game. We need to make the world aware of this game once more.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneShift & public relations - an analysis
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:36:34 am »
Is this based on Google searches? It's worth noting that a lot of search results for PlaneShift bring up discussions of Magic: The Gathering instead.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 07:43:03 am »
It's only the MMORPG in consideration in these statistics.

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 08:41:37 am »
I've been seeing tons of newer players online lately, and it's only a matter of time before the numbers start to go up! :D

But it would be cool if he had some sort of promotional event for PS. I bet if we focused just one week on publicity, we'd immediately begin seeing results.

Wocib

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:20:22 am »
So I played around with google trends a bit. Here's what it has in store for PS. Feel free to discuss and enhance my analysis.
Do you really have that much time to waste ?
If so why don't you join PS team and contribute instead ?

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:25:33 am »
Do you really have that much time to waste ?
If so why don't you join PS team and contribute instead ?
If you think trying to understand why PS lacks players is wasted time, perhaps we should just make a game no one can play and consider PS a piece of static art? Also, quit your derailing.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 04:11:59 pm »
I wonder what drove so many players to ps in the first place.

I only found it because I was looking for a somewhat rare type of game (at the time) a free 3d mmorpg that ran on linux. At the time there weren't too many other options.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 05:19:36 pm »
I noticed that recently. No, this was some other site that specifically listed Linux games. My point though, is that I found it only because I was looking for something that wouldn't have had much competition.

Another angle on this: A sudden influx of noobs could ruin the existing culture for those who play now and enjoy it. For those who didn't play years ago, imagine the plaza being filled with hundreds of people who have no idea about what is currently happening in the game and far more interested in figuring out where to find a dragon to kill, or in taking selfies than in blending in.

As far as testing goes, is it easier to test the game with a small player base or with a huge, resource sucking player base?

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 05:49:43 pm »
Another angle on this: A sudden influx of noobs could ruin the existing culture for those who play now and enjoy it. For those who didn't play years ago, imagine the plaza being filled with hundreds of people who have no idea about what is currently happening in the game and far more interested in figuring out where to find a dragon to kill, or in taking selfies than in blending in.

Rigwyn has a point. While I wasn't here to experience what PS was like a few years ago, it will need to be publicized focusing on an RP-oriented crowd if we're to keep our current culture and community. For now, I'm perfectly happy with the numbers we have, and the small community-driven world. I mean, it would be nice to up the amount of players, but if it comes at a large enough sacrifice to Planeshift culture, then I'd rather stop to think of another publicity plan.

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 06:03:56 pm »
While I see Rigwyn's point, I do not believe this is too much of a problem.
Experience shows that most players who do not care about RP or the community, but only about grinding and killing, do not stay very long.
And as has been pointed out quite correctly, some of them may still discover their interest for RP.

So let's try to make newbies welcome, let's try to make them join the community and RP, and let's ignore those who are hopeless. I had such a case only this week, a youngling who was only interested in killing. Most newbies show at least some interest in RP and the community.

Bigger numbers of new players will IMHO mean bigger numbers of "good and valuable" players, and maybe also bigger numbers of Devs, so let's think of how to improve our PR. I have an idea or two myself, and hopefully will very soon have the time to work on them.

Greetings, Gonger.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 06:47:50 pm »
I wonder what drove so many players to ps in the first place.

I was looking for a) roleplay and b) an MMO my computer could handle. PlaneShift was the only game that seemed to focus on roleplay - it's a lot harder to find the RPers in other games.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 10:42:32 pm »
The number one thing that makes this game unique, where no others comes close, no others even exist really, is the role play community, that is why I chose this game and have come back to it. Sadly it is lopped in with MMORPG's (why RP was ever added to MMO for most games makes no sense) that it cannot compete with and does not have to, this game should boast being the only online MMORPG, that is actually RP. and cater to that clientele, market it that way...but actually do marketing and publicity.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 03:56:39 am »
Candy - thanks for giving us a visual view of PS players.  Good comments folks... interesting.

RE: PR and Outreach
About a year ago Siteya, Roled made a call for public relations writers for PS to join me in beginning an outreach campaign in social media especially focused on trying to make PS known to other role playing types : d*d boardgamer groups for example, (in various countries), LARPs newsletters and fan sites, actors, storytellers and writers of all sorts but especially fantasy novel fans, rp bloggers, collaborative storytellers, etc. 

Four of us started working on drafts for a twitter campaign, a FB and other social media campaign, Pinerest, instagram, etc...and other such calendared releases to correspond to new releases in PS and updates on role plays going on [sound bite versions of some of the reports of GM and player sponsored rps and rp events.] Unfortunately each of our small group had rl interference at the time but the project I still think is viable.

So shall we try again? Who would like to work on such a project of researching potentially aligned interest communities, compiling email and listservs for such aligned communities of interest, writing short punchy and intoxicating press releases announcing what's going on, and starting up the twitter campaign again?  To coordinate we will need some guidelines, and as in any real pr campaign, special attention should be paid to grammar, readability, and focus on mission- in other words, proofreaders before things are released officially. At least I think that's important.

Any interest?

I like what the GMs have initiated in FB for the events, thanks Iridia, Zunna, et al for those posts.  And of course any of us could post invitations to our own social networks.  This would be a great place for a concerted effort by Guild leaders and active members to recruit new players in general to the game.

Discuss?

RR
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 05:14:50 am »
Just a quick note: Don't just focus on people who already consider themselves roleplayers. I found PS while looking for free alternatives for WoW after the trial period.  I never had even heard of RP at that point. :P