Author Topic: Hello again  (Read 1134 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Hello again
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 07:20:50 pm »
Simple, go back to basics and research story crafting.

To google! ;D
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+create+conflict+in+a+story

Treat RP plots the same as writing a single author story in terms of structure and necessary elements.

Further, make sure your characters are well rounded in terms of perspective and expression. Flesh them out. In real life, most people only have "one character"  in a situation which they don't control. Yet, interesting stories still emerge as a result of the complexity of "character" interactions.

Whenever you RP, give your characters a goals even if it's just getting a glass of water. Move them to pursue their goals, and look for ways to accommodate hindrances to accomplishing the goals for the sake of story. Maybe an old flame they are on bad terms with is between them and the glass of water. You now have conflict.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:34:23 pm by Illysia »

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2016, 12:12:28 am »
Did someone call for dashingly handsome? Here I be!  :thumbup:  :sorcerer:

I too have dipped a toe into PS in the last 2 weeks or so- and looked at the game stats. Three times my toe has dipped this past week, three times (different times of day) 7 or less players ig... ::|  There are geometrically more npcs than players... but perhaps the PS crew will invent useful ai and the computer can play with itself?  X-/

Little left to encourage further than said toe now and again, at least for me. But good to see your posts Illy and others, here, from time to time.
Roled  ::)
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 01:08:38 am »
Hiya Roled.  :) Yeah, there is definitely more NPC activity than player activity now. I really wish people had listened to me years ago when I said this could happen.

However, the forum being active would help towards making people care about the game more. People's feelings in regards to PS need to be inverted. Right now, it feels like it's an unnecessary chore, like there's not enough to engage with, and like there's no one around. It's a shame too because there is a lot more in game now.

What's missing is enough engaging RP to look forward to. The community could start to repair itself if people got back in the habit of interacting with each other and looking forward to those interactions.

The game's RP community started with crystal hunting, small numbers, and not much to do in game. If it built into an interesting RP community from that then it could rebuild now if people actually want to see RP revive. Apathy towards doing instead of wishing for RP in PS is probably the only thing holding it back now.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2016, 04:30:14 am »
That wasnt excactly what i ment but you got the point. :P
I think the key problem is getting all the players come at the same time to play. like i myself is too busy to play.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 08:59:54 am »
This lack of players means I can pretend I'm on my own dedicated server!

Also, gotta love how these threads end up derailing. Although I don't think Illysia minds much: it's her very essence to ramble about lack of players~ How's Aiwe doing? ;D

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2016, 11:15:55 am »
Getting people together without more for them to do won't help. The player count wasn't always this low. People being together at certain times didn't stop the decline, especially since cliques have a tendency to form.

There has to be a threat of fun RP to convince players to log on in the first place. To do that you need a plot or situation worth jumping in on and word of mouth to spread it.

However, every thread derails once it's original purpose has been addressed Mishka Avocado. So we can now determine that all the people who are going to say hi have said it. As for Aiwe, I don't know, but one day he may turn up again to say I told you so.

Eleirit Kcelmien

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2016, 02:56:18 pm »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 01:16:41 am by Eleirit Kcelmien »

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2016, 08:03:28 pm »

All I can say to that is, toes... >.>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkyvNmAIG0

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 09:02:12 pm »
@Eleirit: Hello.

@Rigwyn: Eww...  :(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:29:40 pm by Illysia »

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2016, 12:37:53 am »
Oh hey, Illysia is around. I'm glad I popped in to lurk :)
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2016, 12:58:29 am »
Hiya Zalya. :)

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
Why I don't visit Yliakum often
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2016, 02:34:42 pm »
Aside from the discrepancy between CrystalSpace and the ability to emote, which I've described in one or two other posts, I also think that it seriously needs expansion.  And not to the extent that it becomes emptier than it already is.  We don't need to visit the entire 7th level or the road down to it from The Dome, but we should be able to see a Nolthrir village or two.

Of course, you don't want to make only enough of a village to seem unfinished, because that would worsen the environment.  Is that part of the reason why you can't travel to the other levels?  Making inaccessible landscape so as to convey sense of vast distance is easier than making a village look convincingly genuine.  Granted, having a long road that you can't leave does make Yliakum seem small and fakey from an adventuring standpoint.

And what of the DR?
In some other thread of mine, I was polling for interest in an expedition into the DR.  Gedundk was orphaned at birth, and kra is developing some interest in searching the DR for kras gemmor (parent).  There didn't even need to be very much down there:  it is dark.  All I'd need is a way to attach a rope ladder, climb down, and space in which to wander.  I could imagine everything else.
However, if Gedundk can't get down there, then what's the point of even being in-game at all?  Standing around in the DR with a useless avatar is worse for role-play than me writing a communal story literally.

Leastways, those are my thoughts on that matter.

Really, I think there should be some corruption and scandal in the Octarchy.  Doesn't need to be a major conflagration; all it needs is to be enough so as to give fuel to a dissentive movement.
Surely there are enough non-GMs in offices so as to make that interesting?
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2016, 07:22:22 pm »
At this point, any village would  likely require a new map. A new map would definitely make things seem emptier. Expansion is nice for exploring lore, but the game really needs more a more active community first.

Also, there has been call for expanding DR for some time but I remember the last time it expanded. ;) It was cause for a lot of frustration until people sorted how to get back out. It used it only be the part that you get to below the citadel. I dunno though, I remember when you could fall to the bottom of the DR and not die. It was vague interesting to wander around but the novelty wore off pretty quick. I think what the DR needs is RPers more than more space.

As for story to work from, You don't need scandal to be in Octarchy. You can set it at the community level. Some private citizen gets embroiled in an embezzelment scandal. They could have had a government contract and they spent it on a yacht for the 6th level only to be busted be a watchdog group or other private citizens. I do think the game needs more stories to help give a sense of progress and life, but I still say it boils down to the players.

Lots of good ideas have been tried in RP only for them to fizzle out due to poor community support. I think PS' problems begin and end with needing a larger, cohesive RP community. Until the RPers rebuild, the rest will kinda flounder or be wasted.