Author Topic: The Blacksmith's secret...  (Read 1210 times)

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
The Blacksmith's secret...
« on: September 15, 2002, 08:55:55 am »
i love smithing...

and in the game \'Myth of Soma\' they got a great way of doing it.
As smither u dont know all the things there are to be smithed... Only the basics are in the game guides, the rest of the weapons and armours are a secret, wich smithers must \'invent\'.
So if u wanna make a great sword, u need to discover its smithing methods before u can smith one, it will not only makes the smithing skill more fun but you will also get blacksmith\'s with their own special skills...

Also smithed armour/ weapons from a good blacksmith should be better then when u buy them in a normale store.

-Xolon-

Tearlach t'an Ailech fin Leros

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2002, 12:15:26 pm »
Yes, this is a good idea.

Metals are workable when they have reached a certain temperature, it varies depending on which metal of course, this could be empathised in this game, so you had to experiment with the metal (or ask a wiser smith), different ways of letting the tool cool, like fresh water, salt water and oil.
Different types of cooling jars, used to give the weapon (or tool) different qualities.
Different smithing Techniques (some techniques can not be used on some materials of course, once again test).
Join The Order Of The Hand .
The rules are being updated, mail me if you are interested in knowing them.
\"Down in their hearts, wise men know this truth: the only way to help yourself is to help others.\"
Never take life seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2002, 08:15:53 pm »
sounds good to me, it will make smithing fun.

Barak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 07:11:10 pm »
Then you could smith on magic runes, (old cliches work best) for magic powers.

Bytes cost Bandwidth.

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 05:18:07 pm »
Yeah, you could make things like rings to give high ranking members in your guild. Like you could give the Master Healer a ring to enhance that, Or maybe the Head Mage could have a ring of mystic arts, You could craft couldrens for alchemists that make like x2 potions. The Guildmaster could have a special ring that gives power to the smaller ones so if a member defects he can\'t keep the ring, and a new one can be reforged.

\"One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2002, 02:00:26 am »
Yes, I know my ida was ripped from Lord of the Rings, but the idea of wielding great magic in something like a ring is just too cool.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2002, 01:06:37 pm »
Actually, fantasy is full of items being given strong powers because of where they were crafted, like the rings at Mt. Doom in the Lord of the Rings, or Greyswandir at the foot of the stairs to Tirna\' Nogth in Amber. Perhaps we should have places of power where items can be imbued with far stronger powers. Of course, the smith would need to be quite skilled to be able to handle such power.

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 09:22:18 am »
And if you ask me, the smithes would have to FIND these places too. :)
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2002, 11:54:43 am »
I like the idea of having to find a blueprint, or maybe buy it, if the item is common, before you can smith the item. Than you can use the blueprint over and over again to make the item. But the only problem is having 1000+ blueprints in your bank...

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Azrum

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2002, 01:11:16 pm »
But, there should be a experience loss to thoes who smith stuff (depending on the difficulty/power of the item) Or else everybody would go smithing same super power items at the \"extremely powerfull site\" and sell them for millio?ns, over and over again :/

So there should be some sort of losses (like exp) for smithing

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2002, 02:08:11 pm »
Experience losses?  That would be torture for the smiths.

There are things like materials.  The are unable to make infinite super-weapons because super-weapons require super-materials,  which are hard to get.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2002, 02:18:40 pm »
Certainly no experience losses on basic items. Possibly on some super powerful ones or at certain sites, which would limit the number people would craft there. Also, you could let guilds control the sites, then it\'d just be that guild that can make things there and other guilds might go to war over it, which could be interesting. Oh, and perhaps limit the number that can be made at a sight, or the times when sites have power, like it only works under the light of a full moon or whatever. (Oh, wait... underground... but you get the idea.) Possibly the best sites would only work once every year or even several years, and then the items made there could be given storyline significance.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2002, 02:21:22 pm by David_HD »

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2002, 03:39:43 pm »
Would a blacksmith tell if most special secret to other people?

If i found a special method of smithing, at maybe a special place i would keep it for myself. It\'s what blacksmith\'s would love. U can see it as a signature, a crown, the masterpiece of their smith art.

-Xolon-

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2002, 05:33:02 pm »
Why would there be exp. losses at all?  I mean, why would making a REALLY good item make you worse at creating stuff?  If anything it should make you much better.  Perhaps it should just drain your mana or something.

The list of components should be more than just some metal.  Say, like for a mythril longsword maybe you need a magic gem, mythril, some material for the hilt, ummm....

Ok, bad example.  But you get what I\'m saying.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2002, 07:59:01 pm »
The explanation for experience loss, at least as I see it, is that in order to make something that powerful you have to work a bit of yourself into the item, which takes a lot out of you, and thus makes it take longer for you to progress. If it helps, think of it as negating some of the next experience you get, as opposed to taking away some of what you already have. Although, since this game won\'t have levels, per se, it might not work that well...