Author Topic: unique mounts for every race in the game and maybe town portals  (Read 1611 times)

zedd_owd

• Traveller
    • View Profile
unique mounts for every race in the game and maybe town portals
« on: December 16, 2003, 06:10:39 pm »
i wonder if there will be mounts such as horses and such that is unique to each race in the game for mid level players to higher level players so they can travel faster around the game world and have some tactical advantage over others that didn;t have mounts!! 8)
on second point will the game have town portals or teleportation spells/ scrolls/ gems of recalled that allows the player to get out of tight situtations into town to get healed and restock on items then fight again.
my last point i want to know will the game allows leveling up?   ?(
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 06:12:00 pm by zedd_owd »
\"MMORPG games are a relative young field of study\"

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 07:10:07 pm »
why would u want this? plus this should be posted in the wish list section. 3rd of all having different steeds for each character is retarded? whats stoping someone from getting on another races steed? not very believable you just CANT. Plus the devs have already decided on flying animals and they fit in with the story behind the game very well and it would be dumb to change something as important in the game right now especially for such a hastily thought together plan such as this one.. sorry to be so harsh but really its a bad idea... :)

also there will be no leveling up. the levels will be like short sword and little stuff like that but an overall level is not going to be in game. 3rdly town portals=no because there will be no teleporting. the devs really want no part in teleporting. sorry... :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 07:11:51 pm by Kixie »

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 12:14:00 am »
Originally posted by whemyfield
the levels will be like short sword and little stuff like that but an overall level is not going to be in game.

err.... what? :P
anyway, yea, there won\'t be leveling up, you will just increase your skills by training them.
AKA Skald

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 04:59:36 am »
Drak: Skills is what he meant, I think. :)

And I agree, it would be silly to restrict what things you can use as mounts simply because \"I say so\". What\'s to stop a Klyros riding a Ylian\'s horse, or a Ynnwn flying on a Diaboli\'s Megaras? :P

KwartzTheKran

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 06:34:33 am »
I think he believes a Ylian\'s horse would be crushed by say a Kran =)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 03:01:00 pm by KwartzTheKran »

-----I\'LL LEAVE YOU ALL BEHIND-----      ( *hugs Moogie* - sorry )

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 07:34:56 am »
omg kwartz!!! i love ur sig!!!!11 LOL!

And thank you moogie skills was wat i was trying to say... didnt come out right...

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 09:57:54 am »
ohhh... ok, got confused... so far there\'s no \"short sword\" skill... only \"swords\" one :P
AKA Skald

Axsyrus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 10:10:03 am »
there will be other creatures you can ride besides the flying creatures(those are way to expensive to buy anyways). talk to one of the guard in-game, he\'ll tell you about horse riding and about some giant worm creature you can ride.

Axsyrus the Azure - Ruler of the Winds
Member of The Arcane Order\'s Council

elscouta

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 12:57:04 pm »
maybe just skill modifiers are enough: if you don\'t fit well with your horse, you \'gain\' -2 in riding
High Loremaster of the Arcane Order.

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2003, 01:20:40 pm »
Originally posted by whemyfield
omg kwartz!!! i love ur sig!!!!11 LOL!

Heh, I think that\'s pretty much a given...

Anyway, not speaking from experience, but isn\'t the relashionship between horse and rider usually pretty important?  I\'m not suggesting race-specific steeds, but character-specific ones would be nice.  Possibly a small \"virtual pet\"-style sidequest, too; caring for your mount to keep your relashionship with it as strong as possible, which would in turn increase your ability to ride it.  Although, not to the point that Megaras-rental services aren\'t possible (Enterprise Rent-a-Steed), just enough that people would actually take the time to build trust.

Also, a Kran might just crush a horse (Like a Vogon sits on whatever they sit on); but this might be remidied through some specially designed saddle, not sure about flying mounts, though...
\" I think you should just follow Grakrim\'s advice ;)\"

\"A universe is enough for more than one opinion.\" - Maxximus

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2003, 04:23:15 pm »
nothin against the krans but maybe they shouldnt have anything to ride. they wiegh like 30 tons right? they are built like a tank and have lots of extra fighting stats so maybe they should have to move slow. Built like a tank move like a tank..

zedd_owd

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2003, 04:50:00 pm »
let me sugguest that a game with no leveling up is crap! there no point in continuing since there\'s ZERO Reward to continue !!!!!  lets examine why diablo 2  is  so popular apart from free play on bnet and strict policy on cheating. it\'s in it;\'s leveling up in doing so u can wear higher defence have higher damage weapons, cast devasting spells . last but not  least is pvp combat it; in which is governed by the fact that who has the highest level wins the dual. among others thing held equal.
thus leveling up is reward for those who spend the time in the game world getting better items. this desire to get better items have been one of the main reasons behind EQ\'s success and everyother mmoprg what come along since it.  In eq u are always trying to level up get that one piece of armour,gem,sword,staff. therefore if this game wants to truely rival eq leveling up is must.
consider this if two players were in a dualing arena have spent the same amount of time using a sword and using the same sword , have the same stats on their charater ie same skills, strength, mana, dex, etc among other things held constant who will win this dual ????????.
that\'s why i belive leveling up is need !!!!!
 :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 07:05:28 pm by zedd_owd »
\"MMORPG games are a relative young field of study\"

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2003, 04:53:02 pm »
cmon please read.... there will be levels but only for stats. what the devs arent putting in is an overall level for a character. its not like there wont be levels at all. that my friend is impossible and not an mmorpg or even an rpg.

Crj

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003, 04:56:03 pm »
I think this goes under animal training.
Yeah, Krans are... very heavy. But if someone trained a supa-horse, why not.
But there are no problems wit other races... maybe with dwarves, they are sooo small, they wont get on a horse.
A new day, a new failure!

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2003, 05:09:18 pm »
Really, zedd_owd, at least know what you\'re talking about before you try and add some insightful comment.  Skill-based systems are far more realistic than level-based ones; and also, if I do say so myself, far more enjoyable and personable.

Back on topic, I don\'t think that specific races should be disallowed certain types of transportation unless the other races were also equally penalized.  So this may be an instance where it would be better to drop realism in favor of fun and fairness.

Also, Crj, if you were speaking about my remarks (if you weren\'t, disregard this), I don\'t think its quite animal training, although it certainly overlaps with it a bit.  What I meant is that characters need to establish trust with their mount.  I would imagine a mount with a trusted rider would be far more apt to go into battle, or traverse a dangerous road, or even trust that its rider will know when to feed it.  This trust could be used as a substitute for proper training, or be used along with it to maximize the mount\'s effectiveness.

Just my two tria, I\'m not sure if the system would work that well, or even be that fun or rewarding; I can\'t think all that deeply about it, at the moment.
\" I think you should just follow Grakrim\'s advice ;)\"

\"A universe is enough for more than one opinion.\" - Maxximus