Author Topic: unique mounts for every race in the game and maybe town portals  (Read 1612 times)

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2003, 06:17:41 pm »
now to crj i think that dwarves could get on horses its far from impossible... and you cant have a supa horse thats just not right. I think krans should not have an animal to ride. If it could it wouldnt make sense...

There fore i propose the krans have a special ability! It would only be fair! The krans should be able to minipulate the earth so they ride it like a wave. they could not minipulate sand however for that is not any solid material krans are made of. Also interference from crystals would made the rock \"wave\" go faster. This would even out the whole rock wave. Maybe there could be restrictions on how long and often the krans use this ability. Hehe i think kwartz the kran will LOVE this post...

zedd_owd

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2003, 07:23:37 pm »
Originally posted by Grakrim
Really, zedd_owd, at least know what you\'re talking about before you try and add some insightful comment.  Skill-based systems are far more realistic than level-based ones; and also, if I do say so myself,

well can;t you see that leveling up and skilled based systems are interwoven , in EQ and diablo 2, NWN, Baldur\'s Gate 1,2 , morrowind, and almost every rpg game  and everytime u level up your stats go up. the skills systems does pretty much the same thing. BUT having Levels will open the door to more possiblilties such who can use better weapons cast higher level spells. it lets u made an inform choice in a pvp match!
well these things will become apparrent when combat is implemented.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 07:27:12 pm by zedd_owd »
\"MMORPG games are a relative young field of study\"

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2003, 08:37:29 pm »
Zedd, you misunderstand. People with a higher skill rank in Swords will do more damage with swords and be able to weild better swords. This is far superior to just saying \"You must be level 15 to use this weapon\".

Why? Because, for example, it is not realistic to reach level 15 using a short sword and then suddenly be able to use this other weapon (say, a polearm of some sort) just because you reached a certain meaningless number.

By training individual skills, your character can mature and grow in a much more realistic manner, and in my opinion skills are so much more fun than \"You gained a level! Now you can use all of these weapons and all this armour for no real reason\".

Skill-based leveling also allows players to focus on skills besides the combat-orientated ones. It means that if you want to be a simple travelling Merchant and primarily play the game to earn money and own all the most expensive items in the world, you can do that. The beauty of it is that you won\'t suddenly find yourself the most skilled arcane magician in all the world even though you\'ve never used magic before in your life.

That pretty much sums it up I think.

On Topic: Regarding Kran... I see how it would be strange to see such a heavy thing riding a horse with perfect ease. Perhaps there could be a stone-based creature trainable as a mount. Any race could ride this creature, but it would be the only one capable of being mounted by a Kran. :)

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2003, 08:50:57 pm »

There fore i propose the krans have a special ability! It would only be fair! The krans should be able to minipulate the earth so they ride it like a wave. they could not minipulate sand however for that is not any solid material krans are made of. Also interference from crystals would made the rock \"wave\" go faster. This would even out the whole rock wave. Maybe there could be restrictions on how long and often the krans use this ability. Hehe i think kwartz the kran will LOVE this post...

Moogie!! I just posted something!!!  :(  i feel alone...

zinder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2003, 09:05:05 pm »
why you need levels to make a decision for a match or against a match?
I mean PS aims at roleplaying. So your decision for a fight should not be based on \"oh this guy is an win/lose for me\" but on your chars character and knowledge.
Also as far as i can tell, we will be able to see the equiqument a char is wearing. So you have an indicator how good the other guy is.(but perhaps he is fishing for someone like you, eh?)

Also levels dont say you much about the abilities of char in a skillbased system.  The normal linear statistics dont say much how specilised the char is.
 I have played a game with a mixed skill/(class+level) system. They have two level, one based on statistics of the char, the other based on magic about stats, skills and worn equiequment. And surprise, if you dont know the char, you still can hardly make any informed chioces in pvp matches about the chars abilities. And that is a strong PvP-based game.(If you are interested search for Neocron)

Darkmoon

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Resident
  • "----------"
    • View Profile
Regarding the original post:
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2003, 01:32:17 am »
We have several creatures in mind for use as mounts, useable by any race.  Travelling the \"world\" need not take hours of real time.  We already have one mount designed and modelled, and it isn\'t a horse.  ;)

There has also been some discussion on the use of portals to transport people between levels, but nothing is yet official.  Personal teleports?  Probably not.

Levels: I think the other posters in this thread have covered this one.  :D  I think we will try to remove as many numbers as we can, relying on words instead (i.e.- novice, expert, master, etc.).  Don\'t know yet if there will be a way to see progress from one rank to another, like \"hey, I need 12k more exp for savant.\"  But then, I\'m halfway out of \"the loop,\" so don\'t take my word as gospel.  :P  I do content, not rules.

Dexlan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2003, 09:53:37 am »
Glad to hear that!
I would not like to think that Krans would not be able to use some mounts. If there was a rule that the bulk of a Kran meant that they could not use all mounts then the flying mounts would probably be limited too! :(
But I don\'t think it\'s going to be that way.
Using mounts will likely come under your skill base :]

Maybe mounts will have different ages and only at a certain mature stage can a race use the mount as well as your skill criteria.
My in game character\'s are Wolfshade and Kayto! no they wont try to join two different Guilds :rolleyes: !!!!

Axsyrus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2003, 01:20:06 pm »
i told you, it\'s the giant worm :D

even a kran should be able to ride something like that..

Axsyrus the Azure - Ruler of the Winds
Member of The Arcane Order\'s Council

zedd_owd

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2003, 06:00:12 am »
Originally posted by Mogura
Zedd, you misunderstand. People with a higher skill rank in Swords will do more damage with swords and be able to weild better swords. This is far superior to just saying \"You must be level 15 to use this weapon\".

Why? Because, for example, it is not realistic to reach level 15 using a short sword and then suddenly be able to use this other weapon (say, a polearm of some sort) just because you reached a certain meaningless number.

By training individual skills, your character can mature and grow in a much more realistic manner, and in my opinion skills are so much more fun than \"You gained a level! Now you can use all of these weapons and all this armour for no real reason\".

Skill-based leveling also allows players to focus on skills besides the combat-orientated ones. It means that if you want to be a simple travelling Merchant and primarily play the game to earn money and own all the most expensive items in the world, you can do that. The beauty of it is that you won\'t suddenly find yourself the most skilled arcane magician in all the world even though you\'ve never used magic before in your life.

On Topic: Regarding Kran... I see how it would be strange to see such a heavy thing riding a horse with perfect ease. Perhaps there could be a stone-based creature trainable as a mount. Any race could ride this creature, but it would be the only one capable of being mounted by a Kran. :)

interesting points say i agree with most of them BUT all of them make sense in an mmorpg game.
but in this case only time will tell in this case as comabt has not been  implemented !!, i agree with you in theory skilled based progression is better choice :P it\'s more realistic.
i defiantly stand by my point that level progression gives a player more satifaction and a sense of accompolishment.

zedd_owd

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2003, 06:02:01 am »
Originally posted by Mogura

interesting points  Mogura i agree with most of them as they\'re vaild . they make sense in an mmorpg game.
but in this case only time will tell in this case as combat has not been  implemented yet !!, i agree with you in theory skilled based progression is better choice :P as it\'s more realistic.
i defiantly stand by my point that level progression gives a player more satifaction and a sense of accompolishment.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 06:03:53 am by zedd_owd »

Cirque

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2004, 10:09:33 am »
Originally posted by whemyfield

omg kwartz!!! i love ur sig!!!!11 LOL!

Heh its pretty tight. The kran looks like the kind of person (?) that would leave a horses head in his arch enemies bed.

Fhinias

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2004, 12:19:13 am »
About the mounts......there should be the folowing classifications and limitations:

-Light land mounts (medium sized  lizards, boar or pig looking crature, giant scarabs, goats, etc...) this ones are fast, easy to feed, and cheep, but cannot carry to much weith and get encumbred easily.
       \"not usable by Krans and Ynnws\"

-Medium  land mounts ( horse looking creature, medium sized lizards, big birds, deer looking creatures, etc...)normal speed, normal item carriage capability, but still arent strong enought to carry Krans -_-, and the dwarf are to small to get on, even with help, they still would fall easily from the mount.
       \"not usable by Krans, Dwarfs and 30% less speed for Ynnws\"

-Large land mounts ( small Paquiderms, bear looking creatures, large reptiles, etc)not very fast, but better than walking anyway, and very good item carriage capability, but for dwarf is to hight to climb, and the mounts back is to wide to get a grip with their short legs.
        \"not usable by Dwarfs\"

-Gigantic land mounts ( big paquiderms, huge lizards, huge turtles, etc...)this ones are almoust as slow ar walking, but they can carry more than 10 people, and enouth food and items.
        \"usable by all races\"

-Medium water mounts (giant squids, seahorses, big fishs, etc....)they consider terrestrials as invaders, so the only they may ovey is the Nolthir.
        \"usable by Nolthir only\"

-Light and medium amphibius( giant crabs, big frogs, salamanders, big turtles, etc) some are faster in water than land, cant dive with items, but it haves a medium carriage capability.

\" not usable by Krans while in water\"

-Light climbing mounts( mediun sized lizards, etc..)cant carry items, and they arent that fast in land, but they?re ussefull ^^.
        \"not usable by Krans, Ynnws, 30% less speed for humans and diaboli.

and off course the flying mounts, but this is just a list of how do i think it should be IF they were to exist, im not saying the game should have that many mount classifications, and the mout examples are just examples, im not saying theres have to be that many tipes of each mount, 1 is enought ^^, and as how many clasifications, i think medium, large, and flying mounts are more than enought....^^

Black_rose

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • If I could I would, but I don't know how.
    • View Profile
    • My myspace is all I have
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2004, 09:30:48 am »
hmm interesting.

well different mounts would be good but what if you could use other races mounts but they would require a amount of skill
KABLUMMPPP!

Cybio Kingfist

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2004, 10:06:05 pm »
Interesting ideas, Fhinias, though I\'m quite sure it won\'t work that way.
Notice you only mentioned races currently available, and of those the only that didn\'t get penalised at all were Enkidukai?
The steel priest is back and ready to start converting.

Fhinias

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2004, 12:50:24 am »
hehhe, yea i think to penalise the races is quite unfair, cause almost all races have the same phisical characteristics, exept for the dwarf, the Kran and the Enkidukai, besides in the later post i put to many mount types, and is unlikely to become part of the game,  hehehe, i just was trowing ideas in the air, to see if anyone comes with a better one ^__^, personally, it would be more realistic if you could fall from the mount if you arent skilled enought, and also, mounts should lose some speed is they get overloaded ( if you can load them), thinks like that.......i hope to we could get more information of the already made mount, i mean how does it look like, how big is it, how fast, but may be this things havent been desided, right?