Poll

What kind of events would your character join?

Events where there is a good deal of fighting (PvP or RP fights or against NPCs).
Events where there is mostly problem solving and not really much need to fight (sort of group quests).
Events where characters need a deep knowledge of magic (RP-wise) to succeed (be it dark or light).
Events where the problems are rather common, from ordinary people. Nothing epic and that 1-5 characters can solve.
Events where the history of Yliakum is changed like the crystal eclipse events, where dozens of players can participate.
Events where criminal/"evil" characters can take the lead.
Events where lawful/"good" characters can take the lead.
Events in episodes that span over several days/weeks (like the riverling event).
Mini events (30-45 minute events).
Other (please specify in a post).

Author Topic: Event Appetite Poll  (Read 1968 times)

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Event Appetite Poll
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:44:18 pm »
Events are meant to create interesting situations where characters can define the outcome through their actions. In that sense, all characters should be able to join them. Obviously, the situation should be treated realistically and the characters need to have a reason/motivation to get involved. That's why I'd like to know what kind of situation would spike your character's interest.

If I didn't screw up the poll, you should be able to vote for 3 options.

Note that the terms "good" and "evil" are used only as a reference here (to keep options simple).

If you simply don't like events, do post your thoughts and reasons so we can do something about it.

And if you have other ideas or you just want to vote for snorks, use the "Other" option. Thank you. :)

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
Re: Event Appetite Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:51:57 pm »
Personally I prefer seeing events being used for long storylines and important happenings in the world. Using them for simpler, mundane happenings tends to result in unrealistic attention for the event. Of course I'm not saying anything new here. :P

P.S.: Don't worry, you didn't screw up.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:00:10 pm »
P.S.: Don't worry, you didn't screw up.

Yay! >o)

Prolix

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:26 pm »
I am not much for events at all. The big ones tend to be plagued by Haggis, the Goddess of Lag. The little ones I never even notice. I think it might be better to think in terms of long running plot lines where the GM team splits up into different factions, say Octarchal forces and underworld forces and go out and recruit minions on a one-to-one basis. In such a scheme you would have any number of GM alts in a hierarchy under those leaders generally played by the GMs but also by already recruited PCs who just do as they are told however best they can imagine. Sort of a cold war scenario. Do not script excessively but let the community influence the future shape of society by the actions they agree to attempt. This would be far more interesting to me than set pieces.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:26:06 pm »
I think events like Octarchal Decrees and auctions are nice. They don't involve a problem they are simply events. Maybe things like elections, concerts, markets and stuff would be good. GMs have more power and can thus better organize things like that.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:35:23 pm »
Nice idea Illysia. I'm sure we can do things like that.

Timmothy Perriwinkle

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • I see u lookin' at mah Periwinklez.
    • View Profile
    • The Depot that's also a Warehouse
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:55:40 pm »
What I'd like to see is a GM event where the GM's don't take control of the NPCs. I'm curious, if they appeared to just be a normal player and acted the same way they do in a GM event would anyone take them seriously and do it?

But for the most part I don't like GM events for the sole fact that they attract everyone so there's massive lag, channel activity and non-RPers. I know we've had threads on this, and I try not to discriminate against people who are new to RP or just joined the game so don't know better. Whenever I meet someone like this in game I usually try to teach them the ropes, and send them on their way (assuming they're willing) but you can't do this during a GM event because there's not only too many of them, but we're trying to play the event so there's not enough time.

That's why I'd like to see the GMs start a plot, but for the most part the ordinary players will play it out with GMs reappearing every so often. When the GMs are always present, it often turns hectic.

[12:05am] XilliX: I <3 you that much

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:15:15 pm »
What I'd like to see is a GM event where the GM's don't take control of the NPCs. I'm curious, if they appeared to just be a normal player and acted the same way they do in a GM event would anyone take them seriously and do it?

But for the most part I don't like GM events for the sole fact that they attract everyone so there's massive lag, channel activity and non-RPers. I know we've had threads on this, and I try not to discriminate against people who are new to RP or just joined the game so don't know better. Whenever I meet someone like this in game I usually try to teach them the ropes, and send them on their way (assuming they're willing) but you can't do this during a GM event because there's not only too many of them, but we're trying to play the event so there's not enough time.

That's why I'd like to see the GMs start a plot, but for the most part the ordinary players will play it out with GMs reappearing every so often. When the GMs are always present, it often turns hectic.

How else are the npcs to be part of rp events if the gms dont take over them in some way? Also how are gms to help make sure events go as planned to do their goal if they are not there thoughout the whole event? There are times the GMs are working with settings to release a new item or new thing, if the GMs leave this type of event for the players to take over nothing will get done and their goal will not be reached. Remember NPCs are to be seen as players just like you so a GM taking over one NPC does not make it out of the norm.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 04:30:44 pm »
It does when they act like that NPC is the only person of his kind and an entire crowd gathers around him as a result.

Velh Krome

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 05:53:45 pm »
Very surprising poll sort of.. I cant but remember that event Dajoji once hosted, about that Floating thingie.. hence my vote for "..commoon.. not more than 1-5 people" - after all, dark magic, fighting evil, knowing spells.. at the moment (!) Yliakum is flooded with it.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 06:16:02 pm »
I really think it's all down to a good mix of them...  And snorks
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 06:29:01 pm »
I picked mini-events and ones that have everyday problems, but I also picked ones that change the course of Yliakum's history. Why? Because I like both the epic and the everyday in my RP. I also think that, since everyone's tastes are different, there should be a wide variety of types of events.

I also think things that are somewhere between mundane and history-changing ought to happen. For example, let's say Harnquist's anvil goes missing in the middle of the night, and he suspects some person or group that he hasn't been getting along with lately, but the players find out that it's just some prankster kids that stole it...definitely not the stuff of legend, but there would probably be a lot of IC talk of it for a little while.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 07:36:21 pm »
I picked other, because I'd like a mix between "changing Yliakum's continuous story", "events where evil characters can participate", "events where good characters can participate" and "mundane". I'd also love that all these events would prove to escalate following a consistent plot line that could also lead into more epic events.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Luzino

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 02:18:34 am »
What if my char doesn't want to join any event? ;-) No, I take that back, he might be willing to as he likes some excitement. But thing is - I don't want to join any event. And duh - he doesn't stand a chance to take part in one without me.

So do you want me to vote? Yeah, my char might enjoy an event or two, nothing too big, maybe the everyday stuff or just a "quickie". But seriously, I don't want to join an event. So I don't vote for anything as my char just can't act without me. No matter what he would like. Pood sod. So dependant on me... :-p
So much to do - and so little time...

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 02:20:15 am »
I picked other, because I'd like a mix between "changing Yliakum's continuous story", "events where evil characters can participate", "events where good characters can participate" and "mundane". I'd also love that all these events would prove to escalate following a consistent plot line that could also lead into more epic events.

i like this idea...and besides don't we all want a chance in the history books of yliakum? could be fun :)