Author Topic: Questions About The Prison System  (Read 1597 times)

Scarn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Questions About The Prison System
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:37:18 pm »
-Where is the prison located in Yliakum or does every city have it's own for each race? (I know there aren't any yet but I wonder where they would be located).
-Is there some higher magic keeping the prisoners from using magic or anti-magic zones in Yliakum? (anti-magic zones would be nice).
-How can a prisoner be controlled not to take his own life in order to escape via DR?
-What system is there for keeping the prisoners stuff and would the players money or weapons and glyphs and like be confiscated and sold at an auction?
-Would the players DW glyphs and other 'evil' items be destroyed?
-Would a prisoner be marked with a tattoo or something to show he is a former or current inmate?
-Would there be quick trials for minor offences? (a set quicktrial IG time system would be nice. Like for killing someone and getting caught you'd get 'X' IG days of prison time to be served while so you have to be on and maybe do some random chores/quests to complete before you can leave like mop the floor, craft something, make armors to help keep the prison running).
-Would the prison employ players as prison guards, cooks, janitors etc or only NPCs?
S: I want to be Columbo! K: That is NOT a class...

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About The Prison System
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:28:00 pm »
The following are my opinions, but still likely mostly right. :)

- Meet the Dome Vigesimi, book 2. Besides that, each town will likely have its own small holding cells for minor crimes.

- Yes.

- Likely more magic, or godly intervention. Taking you life will either A: 'respawn' you in the prison upon death. B: Respawn you in the prison after running through the DR. Either way, better to serve your term.

- No system yet.

- No. DW glyphs are not evil. Any BlackFlame items would be... although, if BF items were found on the criminal, the criminal too would be destroyed in True Death.

- Perhaps. I would like that, anyways.

- No trials for minor crimes. Guards are judge, jury, and jailer with absolute power. Only higher crimes go to 'trial'.

- NPC guards. Players can't be trusted, and the job would be dull as paste.

Scarn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:43:40 pm »
- No trials for minor crimes. Guards are judge, jury, and jailer with absolute power. Only higher crimes go to 'trial'.

- NPC guards. Players can't be trusted, and the job would be dull as paste.

I ment just that. Guards just say 'heres 5 years, have fun'

It wouldn't be dull beating up prisoners with halved stats... (yes i know what you ment).
S: I want to be Columbo! K: That is NOT a class...

Oomi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:09:04 pm »
1) At the present time, there is one jail in East Hydlaa and you could probably find it easily by duelling in Plaza (/me winks). If you take into account the fact that there are only 3 active cities at present, you will see why having a jail in every city is not a high priority at the moment. As more cities and levels show up, I imagine that will change. Also, since all races exist in all cities on all levels, I don't imagine there will be jails devoted to a single race.
2) There are no plans for a magic-free zone in the near (or semi-near) future. IC-wise, guards are in excellent physical shape, well-armored, well-trained in defensive magic, and confiscate anything that might be considered a weapon as soon as an arrest is made (and that includes glyphs).
3) As far as mechanics goes - we're working on that. For now, it's not a stretch to consider that items confiscated upon arrest will include those that can be used to harm oneself.
4) Permanent item/money confiscation only happens with OOC violations such as botting or glitching and those would not be not auctioned. IC confiscation can happen for IC violations or for the purposes of RP and typically doesn't involve a real removal of player items. It might be nice to have an auction event involving "confiscated items", but those items would be generated specifically for the event or donated by players interested in supporting the event.
5) DW glyphs aren't inherently prohibited items. For True Death poisons & such, see above comments about IC "confiscation". BlackFlame items are pretty darn evil, but it's highly unlikely that a regular guard would recognise a BF item, and if he/she did, that most likely means that he/she is a BF follower and would either a) free you to serve BF further or b) kill you to protect BF.
6) Not that I'm aware of. Anyway, something like that would need to wait a while until mechanics can be put in place to support it.
7) Team discussions on this sort of thing are currently occurring.
8 ) Players having official jail roles is an issue fraught with pitfalls and complications. The amount of time the team would have to spend in training, oversight, review, etc. could greatly diminish their ability to complete their current duties. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it would be difficult.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:19:04 pm by Oomi »

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:45:31 pm »
Personally, I would not expect player-managed roles until version 2.0.Players having official jail roles is an issue fraught with pitfalls and complications.

In my humble opinion, this is exactly correct, and what I would personally expect. It sounds like another user level would have to be added to the system to support roles. Very bad juju before all things are fully tested and current roadmap is realized. Players do not get keys to the kingdom easily. Player-managed jails, you wish.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 10:00:55 am »
We've had GM guard characters for almost a year now and we're working on making the system better so players can really feel that there is social order and that crimes do not go unnoticed by the Octarchy.

For more information about how guards operate, click here, and here.

tokatok

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:07:38 pm »
thankyou for these links which are very useful !

but could we get an update on how the prison system works ?

a recent spell left me confused as to how we are supposed to communicate with guards, (IC/OOC),
how rules on Guard imposed sanctions (prison versus banishement) work

feels a little like a lottery so clarification would be useful,

btw my character deserved and enjoyed his sentence !  :devil:

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 04:14:17 pm »
Just a little side note- Roled ran into three 'Hydlaa Guards" the other night, who apparently mistook him for a murderer. It was a good, short rp. Roled appreciated knowing that there are 'real' guards running around from time to time. In fact, he followed the guard around for a while just to see what they were up to, and to see if he could watch them arrest someone, or if they found the murderer, what they would do to him. RR was too slow and lost them after a few minutes, but it livened things up for the little do-gooder.
Roled Rolak
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:42:03 pm »
Expect some news regarding the topic of this thread in the coming days/weeks. We have taken all suggestions and complaints into consideration to foster the involvement all players in the game settings.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 03:38:36 pm »
In terms of in game mechanics, ultimately I would think if a serious prison system was implemented, one would be sent to another map.  Things like /die would be disabled and glyphs would have to be confiscated to prevent magic.  Lots of little things would have to be taken into consideration and there would have to be a lot of work to implement such a feature.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Giraut Mawhrin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 02:00:46 am »
I reckon a Second Life cornfield-like prison would be great (http://www.secretlair.com/index.php?/clickableculture/entry/hidden_virtual_world_prison_revealed/). Half of Ojaroad is huge empty tracts of lands just waiting to be used for something. This could be it.

Just close off the edges of the plains behind the mountains, send offenders there in another instance, drop a thick fog and constant rain in that map, in that instance, and leave the offenders cool off, respawn there if they /die, and with no comm. This can be implemented easily and cheaply server-side with the existing game mechanics.

EDIT: Other unused sections of maps can be used too, not just the Ojaroad plains. For instance, the "island" behind the Winch area: it's very remote and completely isolated, and yet offers offenders a view of what they're missing out on for being naughty (the back of the Winch city walls). The small green "island" in the tutorial map is a good choice too, but it's not very big. The entire section of hydlaa_plaza map cut-off from the rest of the map by the "canyon" behind Harnquist, and the "river" behind the dispensary. Or the "GM lake" at the far right of bdoorsout. Come to think of it, my choice would be the Winch "island".
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:11:28 am by Giraut Mawhrin »

Gesel

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:36:58 pm »
Hm, Nice idea, but what if it was like a sealed off Dlayo Pit maze, where you couldn't jump out of it, but people could use magic to send you back to the start of the labyrinth.  It might be nice if it was like Crete, where there was a labyrinth that ended up with an immensely tough enemy.